Nostalgic Accessory

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
It looks like a “Jon E” by Aladdin. No longer made but still sold second-hand. They are very durable.
It very likely was a Jon-E. It looked and worked like the one I have been using for the last 50 years. Dad's was bought in the 1940's sometime. I wish I could find that one now. It got misplaced after he passed away.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is an example of a nostalgic accessory that I used when delivering newspapers during Wisconsin Winters. I used this many times when working on the farm back home too. I never got to use the tractor but dad used this when he was on it.

View attachment 52891

That's a peacock Hakkin Warmer, made in Japan.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That's a peacock Hakkin Warmer, made in Japan.

That is a close copy but not exactly the same. The one I showed has 11 peacock feathers and the one you link to has 9 peacock feathers. That price seems a little steep to me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is a close copy but not exactly the same. The one I showed has 11 peacock feathers and the one you link to has 9 peacock feathers. That price seems a little steep to me.
It's not a "copy" they just changed the cover on the newer models.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I enjoy cutting firewood, clearing and pushing back fence rows along my brothers farm fields. Occasionally I’ll shut everything down, pour a cup of coffee, warm my hands on the tractor muffler and just listen to the quite. That’s retirement for me.
There has to be a song in that sentiment. Nice.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BA76 That is a pretty cool way to remember Dad, good on you!

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not an accessory, but I keep this close by.

My grandfather’s Estwing hammer. Born 1911 and passed 1988. Farmer all his life. That hammer has driven 1,000’s of fence staples. Only hammer I knew him to use. I used the rip side pullers to cut hay bale twine before I was allowed to carry a jackknife.

The leather handle has been contoured from his hands. That’s important to me in that I’m also named after him.

image.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Not an accessory, but I keep this close by.

My grandfather’s Estwing hammer. Born 1911 and passed 1988. Farmer all his life. That hammer has driven 1,000’s of fence staples. Only hammer I knew him to use. I used the rip side pullers to cut hay bale twine before I was allowed to carry a jackknife.

The leather handle has been contoured from his hands. That’s important to me in that I’m also named after him.

View attachment 53071
That is so cool. I have never considered myself a sentimental person, but as I get older that is starting to change. Especially about hand tool. I guess after retiring I have slowed down and have more time to reflect.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That is so cool. I have never considered myself a sentimental person, but as I get older that is starting to change. Especially about hand tool. I guess after retiring I have slowed down and have more time to reflect.
BA76 - -

Trust me, my wife would never say I was sentimental, until it comes to the old days on the farm...

Another "accessory" I have is an old farm tractor I grew up with. I don't really have a regular use or need for it, but it's important to me. It represents where I came from....just like that hammer....

I have no idea what your background is, but something that was common in the agricultural community was the inter-generational attachment. Your adaption of a thermos holder like your dad’s is a great example.

"I took over our family's farm after X generations..." was a common succession many years ago.

Unfortunately, that's often the exception and not the rule anymore. Seems that is even more troublesome in the dairy industry, which is where I came from.

We sold our cows in the 1970's, and all our property in the 1980's. None of it is in commercial agriculture anymore.

My parents didn't graduate high school. I was the first of my extended family to go to college. I had to pay for it myself, although they did help me if I got in a dam. I worked 40-50 hours a week most often.

My identical twin daughters were Valedictorian and Salutatorian of their small high school class. Went to Cornell University on athletic scholarships.

Now, one lives in Philadelphia, the other in Santa Cruz, California. Both have good jobs and are doing well. Saw them both at Christmas.

As a college Senior, my son is an aspiring MD. Been focused on that since a freshman, and pulling 3.9 GPA every semester. Looking at MCAT and Medical Schools.

This is a short story long....but the takeaway is some of those old tools (1) make you remember and appreciate your elder generations, and (2) more importantly, encourage the next generations to have a similar work ethic to succeed and be a productive member of their community.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
Good morning RCW. I enjoyed reading your story. As a matter of fact I read it a couple of times. I grew up on the farm and worked closely (and tirelessly) with my dad and brother Until we both graduated from high school, were married and started families. Ultimately there wasn’t enough farm income to support us all so I stepped away from farming. I was very fortunate and got a job with our local electric cooperative where I worked as a lineman for 32 years. I wasn’t farming but was able to work closely with my brother as he continued to farm, my neighbors and serve the rural members of the cooperative. Your last statement about work ethic is so on-point about this post. Something as simple as a thermos holder or a worn hammer represents and hands down to the next generation that hard work, dedication and commitment are one of the cornerstones of our successful rural communities.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
This thread made me think of some things I haven't used for a while. The thermos bottles saw a lot of service when I was out working on jobsites. The tall one is still OK and was new back around 1970. The other was bought for taking soup along about 1980 or so.

The handwarmers were on a shelf in the reloading room, and it's been at least 20 years since they've been warm. God willing, I'm planning on getting back into more hunting this year and start using these things again. I'll be 72 when the Fall season rolls around, and it's time to retire and get back into some things I enjoy before it's too late.
IMG_9282.JPG
IMG_9285.JPG
IMG_9286.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
This thread made me think of some things I haven't used for a while. The thermos bottles saw a lot of service when I was out working on jobsites. The tall one is still OK and was new back around 1970. The other was bought for taking soup along about 1980 or so.

The handwarmers were on a shelf in the reloading room, and it's been at least 20 years since they've been warm. God willing, I'm planning on getting back into more hunting this year and start using these things again. I'll be 72 when the Fall season rolls around, and it's time to retire and get back into some things I enjoy before it's too late. View attachment 53887 View attachment 53888 View attachment 53889
It looks like both thermos have seen some use. That’s cool. 👍🏼

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I've got 3 of those Peacock hand warmers, a large one that my Dad would use when he hunted and a couple small ones I use when camping. I use Coleman white gas as fuel. Get them going and they will cook you out. My insulated bib overalls have an inside chest pocket that I toss it in to. Heats me to the point where I'm walking around in 10F with my jacket unzipped and my hat off. Tried the large one once and it ran for a good 12hrs before finally cooling off. I also have his Coleman lantern made in 1942 that I use every year camping. I was up in Maine a few years back and Coleman was at LL Bean. Bring in any Coleman product and they would fix it for free for the cost of parts. Got the valve repacked and new seals on the pump. It works the first time, every time. If I remember it cost me under $5 for parts. Now I look for that stuff at yard sales and tractor shows. You can get them cheap and rebuild for a song. The only thing I can't find parts for are my Coleman catalytic heaters. the wicks go hard and they stopped making them in the 70's. There's an Coleman collectors site that has the remainder of the NOS listed but sadly I have a couple heaters sidelined due to not being able to get wicks

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
Yes, it means that you are either too young to have ever used one or you have never been cold enough to ever have used one.

Now, your reply makes me think that I may not mention what it is and see if anyone else picks up on it. BTW, the engraving is not relevant. It is the item.
Turkey

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Only hammer I knew him to use.
When my Grandfather passed away 15 years ago they were going to give away all of his tools. I quickly stepped in and said I wanted them. I use one on them at least once a week.

The most used items are some old two-handle-wood-block clamps. I use those constantly, 1 because they were his and 2 because they work better than any others.

Last edited: