Noob with a Bad Habit Already: Mea Culpa, but...

Mach'er

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE, Box Blade, Tiller, Grapple, Spreader, Periodic Stupidity
Apr 14, 2021
Michigan
My L3560HSTC-LE is now a week old, and I'm new to it and tractors overall. I'm sure I'll end up doing things that are much more foolish than this, so I'm not worried about sharing this one, since it seems to lead to a functional question.

Here's my first tractor rookie issue, which I'll need learn to improve my behavior to address - but...

I find myself stopping and getting out of the cab for many things. To take off an implement, to put on an implement, to manually move something that I don't want to hit (gate, overhead door, etc.), to go look at what I just did (stand and gape in awe), etc. - engaging the parking brake each time I hop out.

My problem is that I frequently forget to disengage the parking brake, and drive off without undoing it. I did see that there's a message on the IntelliPanel telling me the Parking Brake is on. But doesn't have enough brake force to prevent just driving around (with surprisingly small effect).

So, yeah, I need to modify my usage, and not do that. Ever. But... Should the parking brake have sufficient braking force to at least have significant difference when trying to motor around?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Drop your bucket to the ground as the parking brake. If you put the cutting edge down and you move the tractor you will remember very quickly the brake is on.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I was having the same issue with my L2501. This was mainly caused by the location of the brake compared to my B2601 which was on the opposite side of the operator platform.
It took a couple weeks of mental training but, now I step on the brakes each time I hop in the tractor before stepping on the HST pedal.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I was having the same issue with my L2501. This was mainly caused by the location of the brake compared to my B2601 which was on the opposite side of the operator platform.
It took a couple weeks of mental training but, now I step on the brakes each time I hop in the tractor before stepping on the HST pedal.

Mike
I'm far from an L-Series, but my little BX won't let me budge an inch with the parking brake on.

Reactions: 5 users

Fastball

Equipment
L2900, rear blade, finish mower, 200l sprayer, landscape rake
Feb 9, 2017
North Okanagan, British Columbia
Because I have sloped property, engaging the parking brake is automatic for me. I will admit to occasionally forgetting to kick it off, and then wondering why “this thing is acting like a pig?” Then after 5 seconds, the light bulb clicks on.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
LOL!

New to tractor owning too.

I frequently do the same. I was thinking of going the opposite way though. If i can do the upgrades, and turbo it like in the thread below:

I figure i can go as fast as I want with the parking brake on. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I'm far from an L-Series, but my little BX won't let me budge an inch with the parking brake on.
I wish it was like that on the L. You can't even tell it's engaged on the L2501, lol.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL

Mike
I try to make a point to never to lock the brakes, and will often drop the loader on the ground instead. However, there are those few times when the brakes should be engaged. I do just like you do, I make a point to hit the brake pedal each time I jump on the tractor. It has seemed to work so far, although I have started to go before doing so, and a time or two had it on, but only moved a little.

I wish it was like that on the L. You can't even tell it's engaged on the L2501, lol.

Mike
No, you can't tell at all!

Reactions: 1 user

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I don't have a loader on my 2wd, and yesterday I used it to move some trailers around the yard. When I jumped off I must have kicked the brake pedals, and they disengaged and my flatdeck and tractor rolled 6 feet and knocked over my auger. Oops. X100 on parking brake double check!

Mach'er

Equipment
L3560HSTC-LE, Box Blade, Tiller, Grapple, Spreader, Periodic Stupidity
Apr 14, 2021
Michigan
Okay. Thanks for the replies. I'll try dropping the bucket or the box blade (or whatever I have on the back at the time) instead of the parking brake. Seems like it doesn't do much on the L anyway, and that mine is not abnormal.

Thanks!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Grounding loader and/or ground engaging implements will hold it. So will the parking brake.
Regardless what you do, do it consistently and it’s something you get used to with seat time.

Just don’t trust the resistance of the HST to hold it if you have HST. Often that’s enough to hold it if you’re sitting in the seat, but not reliable enough if you’re getting off.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
I have done the same thing, a few seconds at a time. After the whine of the tractor noise, I looked and thought oh ship.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Man, both my B7100 and my L3901 will stall out before moving when I have the brakes on even a little bit. I mean, I'm not that strong of a guy, I don't think I'm cranking on the brakes when I set it...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Drop your bucket to the ground as the parking brake. If you put the cutting edge down and you move the tractor you will remember very quickly the brake is on.
That works only if you’re not using the bucket to transport material.

Yes, the parking brake should have sufficient braking-effect to make it obvious when attempting to move the tractor… similarly to your automobile…. it should be an obvious DRAG and an obvious LACK of coasting ability.

I have upon occasion applied the parking brake so LIGHTLY that I drove around awhile before noticing… so I did this: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...ake-reminder-caution-lamp-installation.48021/

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
So, there is no red brake light when the brakes are on? Between the higher pitched whine of the HST and the brake light on the lx, I can guess what's wrong pretty quick.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
So, there is no red brake light when the brakes are on? Between the higher pitched whine of the HST and the brake light on the lx, I can guess what's wrong pretty quick.
Yep high pitched whine notified me

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Problem I had initially was similar to OP in that if the tractor wasn’t acting normally I didn’t always notice because I hadn’t had it long enough to know what “normal” was. In High or Medium range the whine and lack of responsiveness was a big clue. In Low range, no whine and no matter how hard I cranked down the brakes it didn’t even start to faze the transmission or engine at all. Lack of coasting on Low wasn’t noticeable either because it doesn’t really coast in low anyway. I’m pretty sure it would coast a bit in Low if it was aimed down a ski slope or had a heavy trailer behind it but it’s rare to have it coast in Low with or without brakes. One of the dumber things I’ve done with it (and there are several competitors in that category) was driving it in Low with the brakes on tearing down a retaining wall until I started smelling the brakes. Not good. Since then, a glance at the instrument cluster to make sure the little red light is off is one of the final checks before moving it.

Check instrument cluster for brakes and any other odd lights, verify rear implement raised, verify loader raised, check for unknown bystanders, locate any known bystanders, PTO status if PTO hooked up; then and only then, move. Takes about 2 seconds max. Avoids digging errant gouges with grounded implements, driving with brakes on, and inadvertent interaction with careless bystanders.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
But... Should the parking brake have sufficient braking force to at least have significant difference when trying to motor around?
That doesn't sound right (good). My L4400 screams and won't move with my brake on.

Something may be wrong.