Parking Brake Reminder (Caution-Lamp Installation)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am bad about not noticing I’ve got the park-brake set on my M4700 and after driving it awhile, pushing in the clutch only to realize it STOPS immediately...obviously the brake is still-applied. :mad:

So I decided to create a “Park Brake Warning” light. I used a piece of steel bracket or angle, which I spot-welded to the instrument panel framework, (clamped it temporarily with long-nose Vice-Grips to position it properly) and installed a push-button (N.O.) switch into the bracket which is activated when the switch is depressed by the brake locking-lever.
I found a small, red, L.E.D. Indicator lamp at O’Reillys... which to my pleasure.... is designed as a “flashing” warning lamp.... All I had to do is drill a 5/16” hole in my panel overlay and wire it to the already-mentioned switch, and power it via the ignition key-switch so that the flashing lamp is only powered if the key is “ON” and the park-brake-lever is “set”.

Here’s a few pics and a link to a video if you wish to see the flashing-sequence / frequency. Addt’l note: Be sure to consider where you want that lamp positioned so the steering wheel does not block your view of it.
EDIT> See the NEXT POST for the actual Part Number lamp I used.
Video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ACCS3bkv2mxnfKcw6

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have tried to edit that initial post ... I have NO IDEA why some pics posted multiple times... and I don’t know why they posted in the order they did.... and the forum simply won’t allow me to correct it. Sorry. <EDIT> (OK... finally able to get rid of the extras and the order by deleting the “full image“ and only posting thumbnails. Click on them to enlarge them.)

Here’s a pic of the Dorman LED lamp found at O’Reillys. It is O’Reillys item 84918 and Dorman F84918XB or 18273 (those are all the numbers on the pkg front and back.)
A0AF0B13-1F9B-4637-9A74-5CAC3293B53C.jpeg

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have tried to edit that initial post ... I have NO IDEA why some pics posted multiple times... and I don’t know why they posted in the order they did.... and the forum simply won’t allow me to correct it. Sorry. <EDIT> (OK... finally able to get rid of the extras and the order by deleting the “full image“ and only posting thumbnails. Click on them to enlarge them.)

Here’s a pic of the Dorman LED lamp found at O’Reillys. It is O’Reillys item 84918 and Dorman F84918XB or 18273 (those are all the numbers on the pkg front and back.)
View attachment 49561
Looks great! Now you just have to remember to pay attention to the light! :LOL:

In my case the next addition would be a beeper...of course, it would have to be a frequency I can hear! :eek:

(For some reason there is a narrow band I cannot hear, like a small bell sound or high pitched whistle...:()

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Not a bad idea at all. Actually should be part of the original safety features, not only to remind you it is on, but to remind you to put it on.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A glaring fault on Kubota's IMO. I did the same long ago but I have and use split brakes so I used 2 leaf switches, one for each side.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Looks good, nice and bright! I need a nag light on my front dash for my M59. My instrument panel is on my side fender and the parking brake light can be hard to see.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
You could also add a “sonalert” ... which is a loud piezo “BEEPER” to warn you it’s activated.

Google or go to Amazon and search for SONALERT .