Non-stock wheel sizes

Baymee

Equipment
Kubota 1870 Wheelhorse 312A John Deere 316 John Deere LT155
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
Hello all. I just bought a BX1870.

I came across an old post about non-stock wheel sizes and the warnings.

Besides larger or smaller rims and tires having clearance problems with implements, the thread indicated issues with the drivetrain. In 2 wheel drive, I wouldn’t see an issue, but in 4WD, is the issue the different speeds of rotation fighting against each other?

I’m asking because of the hassle of putting on chains for snow removal, I was thinking of pre-mounting chains on some old Deere or Wheelhorse rims/tires of a different than stock size and just changing out the wheel for the winter.

Thanks in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When in 4WD - most OEM's have the ratios set so that the front "pulls" the rear a bit.

If you notice on a well used machine that has been in 4wd most of its life - the front tires are almost bald and the rears look almost perfect.

IF you do what you say - then do NOT use 4 wheel drive - if the ratio is off more than about 2% - you will add a tremendous strain on the drivetrain.

Might be worth to find another set of rims/tires for the BX - they are out there - I bought a set of BX2370 Rims/Tires and thinking of placing them on my BX1850 - they will bolt up and will hold the same RC despite being a bit bigger.

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
I’m really glad I saw that previous post and checked into this.

If I found the proper sized rims and hopefully some used tires to put chains around, would a used tire cause an off balanced ratio?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I’m really glad I saw that previous post and checked into this.

If I found the proper sized rims and hopefully some used tires to put chains around, would a used tire cause an off balanced ratio?
Actually, air pressure differences can cause the RC ratio to change. I have larger than stock tires and wheels on my BX1860. The tires and rims that I have are from the BX2360.

If you decide to go to the larger size, order them from your Kubota dealer's WHOLE SALES department, NOT from the parts department. Ordering them through the whole sales department will save you several hundred dollars than if you order through the parts department.

I bought all 4 of my tires and wheels already mounted to the rims from Kubota Whole Sales for $490.95, after tax. The tire sizes that I ordered are: Front 18x8.5-10 Rear: 26x12-12

Reactions: 1 user

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I probably shouldn't say what I do, but it really works for me. What I can say is, I have 2 sets of wheels/tires, summer/winter, and love that setup.

Baymee

Equipment
Aug 23, 2021
Lehigh Vally, PA
I have a set of rear wheel/rims coming. I will put chains on them and swap out in the Winter.