Non ethanol gas

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Fact, 10% ethanol kills the mileage in my old carbed blazer by 15%! How is ethanol better? 10% ethanol added makes me buy 15% more.

Ethanol has almost made any small engines disposable due to most people not knowing anything about engines or how to clean a carb jet, dramatically increasing waste to landfills, wasted replacement costs. I help people all the time by cleaning the corn syrup out of the carb and saving them from buying a new lawn mower, generator, or whatever.

Yeah, let's take a major international food source and add it to fuel so it can decrease mileage and drastically increase the cost of almost all meat. That sounds like a great plan.

I am a simple man, but I have yet to see the upside to ethanol.
Only way to buy ethanol free gas here in this liberal state, is to buy 100LL at the local airport, so....that's what I do.

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Only way to buy ethanol free gas here in this liberal state, is to buy 100LL at the local airport, so....that's what I do.
Sorry to hear that. No marinas where you live? Most of them have it in my area, but cost a little more. In Alabama, we have non-ethanol convenient in most all areas.

Recently, I stopped in a gas station to fill up a large portable tank with real gas. Station was out of e-gas and expecting delivery soon. A guy was freaking out needing some gas in his pretty car. Seemed to be in a real hurry. I informed him he could get the more expensive 100% gas. He looked at me like I had lost my mind. Then the young guy schooled me "that stuff can only be used in lawn mowers and boats". I said "OK", and walked off. No telling how long he waited on that truck.

I can't believe I have lived long enough that common sense has almost died and people don't remember real gas. I still remember leaded!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry to hear that. No marinas where you live? Most of them have it in my area, but cost a little more. In Alabama, we have non-ethanol convenient in most all areas.

Recently, I stopped in a gas station to fill up a large portable tank with real gas. Station was out of e-gas and expecting delivery soon. A guy was freaking out needing some gas in his pretty car. Seemed to be in a real hurry. I informed him he could get the more expensive 100% gas. He looked at me like I had lost my mind. Then the young guy schooled me "that stuff can only be used in lawn mowers and boats". I said "OK", and walked off. No telling how long he waited on that truck.

I can't believe I have lived long enough that common sense has almost died and people don't remember real gas. I still remember leaded!
We have lots of marinas, since I live by the ocean.
The state law: "non-ethanol fuel may not be dispensed from a pump"
I certainly wish it were not so!
All marinas use pumps to dispense fuel here.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I run 10% E in ALL my gas equipment. I add Sta-bil to the cans and I have never had a carb problem. 2 stroke is made with Stilh 50:1 which claims to take care of the alcohol issue. Saw may sit for months with gas in the tank and always fires right up and runs smooth. Straight gas cans get put in the truck after 6-8 months of sitting.
Mileage and horsepower are no longer an issue for me. If I wanted more power my truck would not have a V6. The cars are all 4 cylinders and do us fine. My right foot controls the mpg.
The little car has a quarter million miles and never had fuel issues.
E free is way to expensive for my wallet.
Our little crossover with the 4 banger is a rocket.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
We have lots of marinas, since I live by the ocean.
The state law: "non-ethanol fuel may not be dispensed from a pump"
I certainly wish it were not so!
All marinas use pumps to dispense fuel here.
Then pump the fuel into a marine gas can and use it to fuel your car.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Copied from a flying website, does explain why it is bad. Also E-85 will eat some plastic's that are used in an Car as I had to replace a fuel system in a customer car(was using E85 in a non E85 vehicle((it was cheaper to fill up))).
I've seen E10 eat up the little plastic filter screens in the bottom of the fuel tanks on some small engines. If it sits long enough, it will eat them.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Then pump the fuel into a marine gas can and use it to fuel your car.
"pump"........How ?????
The state law: "non ethanol fuel may not be dispensed from a pump".

Only exception is 100LL AV gas,...... which is what I buy for small engines!
Local airport is probably not supposed to pump it into 5 gal. cans.....but they will.

Last edited:

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
"pump"........How ?????
The state law: "non ethanol fuel may not be dispensed from a pump"
Only exception is 100LL AV gas,...... which is what I buy for small engines!
Local airport is probably not supposed to pump it into cans.....but they will.
Got to love it when the guvment knows best! They are here to help.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well this was interesting, when I started this post the real gas was just a couple pennies more than E85, now it was 4.76 yesterday and limited on the amount

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Funny you mention that. Ducati had a massive recall because the fuel tanks in some bikes were ballooning. Not so much because of incompatibility with E10/E15, but because the saturated vapor pressure/ temperature of the food fuel is so different than gasoline. Essentially, when a bike is in direct sunlight or parked in a garage while hot, the E would flash off and build pressure faster than the venting system could relieve the pressure.
Think of plastic epa unvented outboard gas tanks that swell up like a tick

Reactions: 1 user