Non ethanol gas

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK a station here says they have it , so yeah chainsaw will get it,, but Im wondering about the truck,, that proce is compatible with regular wonder how it would run in the Silverado?

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Ethanol gas is a farce brought about to make real gasoline less effective and increase the costs. I never understood why we should take corn out of the food chain and make worse fuel to enrich a few envirobuddys. Ethanol in fuel does more harm than good.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
All our vehicles run E-free gas along with any other motor around here. It's carried by all the gas stations here because we're a vacation destination for fishing, 4 wheeler's, snowmobiles, etc.
My Silverado gets better milage with E-free gas as a bonus.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I run non ethanol in all my small lawn and garden equipment including the zero turn.

I run gas with 10% ethanol in my vehicles. Modern vehicles are designed for it and go through it fast enough that wicking moisture isn't a concern.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ethanol gas is a farce brought about to make real gasoline less effective and increase the costs. I never understood why we should take corn out of the food chain and make worse fuel to enrich a few envirobuddys. Ethanol in fuel does more harm than good.
While I agree with your opposition to ethanol in gasoline….I believe your basic supposition is incorrect. It is not a “farce”… it is real.…and the reason is not to make gasoline “less effective”…(it actually increases octane)…and it does not increase fuel costs (as opposed to the MBTE it replaced) …..and the “envirobuddys” are not who is enriched….it is corn farmers and their lobbyists who gain by the policy.….and believe it or not…it keeps the petroleum industry high-in-cash.

The end-users…. US…. are who suffer from the damage ethanol causes in standard, carbureted fuel systems, … and it prolongs the environmental debacle of petroleum exploration, refinement, and use. Henry Ford, in creating the N-series tractors, actually promoted and designed those tractors to run on 100% ethanol. He knew it would be good for his tractor-customers to grow corn to make the ethanol…and he didn’t care for DuPont and Standard Oil’s promotion of Tetra Ethyl Lead in fuel…which Henry (and DuPont/Standard/Gov’t) KNEW was harmful.

The basic reason ethanol is in gasoline today is to substitute it for MBTE (an oxygenate) in gasoline…because MBTE pollutes ground-water.

Reactions: 4 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
A friend of mine worked as a water tester before he took up a different line of work; he told me some horror stories about MBTE, which gets into the groundwater from older leaking gas station underground storage tanks. According to him a very small amount of MBTE is all it takes to contaminate a large water supply.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
All E-free gas up my way is high octane, it will cause all kinds of issues in some equipment, due to Knock sensors protecting the motors. Power tools and all 2-strokes get it nothing else.
I know that Cam-am UTV's will not tend to start if running High octane fuel.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
All E-free gas up my way is high octane, it will cause all kinds of issues in some equipment, due to Knock sensors protecting the motors. Power tools and all 2-strokes get it nothing else.
I know that Cam-am UTV's will not tend to start if running High octane fuel.
I think the difficulties of which you write are not due to “high octane” fuel. Excessively high octane (unleaded) causes no problems… it’s only a waste of money. Leaded gasoline CAN cause some troubles but not hard-starting… usually lead fouling only.

Knock sensors protect against LOW ocatane…not high. Is it possible you mis-wrote when you said “all E-free gs up my way is high octane”…?? perhaps you meant Low octane?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I think the difficulties of which you write are not due to “high octane” fuel. Excessively high octane (unleaded) causes no problems… it’s only a waste of money. Leaded gasoline CAN cause some troubles but not hard-starting… usually lead fouling only.

Knock sensors protect against LOW ocatane…not high. Is it possible you mis-wrote when you said “all E-free gs up my way is high octane”…?? perhaps you meant Low octane?
All E-free up here is 92 octane, higher 10% E goes up to 91 octane and the knock sensor is there to protect the motor from detonation, which will happen in newer powersports engines if running it.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I was told to always follow the money.
Its about transferring wealth from urban areas into the countryside
In 2005, the U.S. Congress enacted a Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) that set minimum requirements for the use of renewable fuels, including ethanol, in motor fuels.

Its impact on land prices and corn prices is easy to see.

Ethanol demand uses almost 50% of all the corn land production in the US.

I read a story that says some cornland in Iowa sold for $30,000 / acrea thanks to the demand for ethanol.

I'm a simple person but the pic's are hard to argue with i guess. 50% increase in demand overnight sure helped us farm owners.

Corn prices
1685472123747.png

Land Prices
1685472498588.png

Last edited:

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
Our local United Refinery Company station (Kwik Fill) has been selling ethanal free for $3.49, it is the same price as regular E10 at all 4 stations in town. Citgo across the street is 30 or 40 cents more per gallon for ethanol free.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
All E-free up here is 92 octane, higher 10% E goes up to 91 octane and the knock sensor is there to protect the motor from detonation, which will happen in newer powersports engines if running it.
Sorry for the confusion…but what you just posted appears to completely contradict what you posted previously (if E-free is 92 and E is 91)..the E-free should run BETTER than E10 in all equipt regardless.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In 2005, the U.S. Congress enacted a Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) that set minimum requirements for the use of renewable fuels, including ethanol, in motor fuels.

I read a story that says some cornland in Iowa sold for $30,000 / acrea thanks to the demand for ethanol.

I'm a simple person but the pic's are hard to argue with i guess.

Corn prices
View attachment 103822

Land Prices
View attachment 103823
And how is that different than land and real estate in urban areas..?? It’s ALL gone up enormously,…nothing/little to do with ethanol.
A presumption that wealth is being transferred from “urban to countryside” is also questionable since most corn is traded on open markets. Corn is NOT the most subsided farm product.

RICE is the most heavily subsidized crop, receiving 5 percent of U.S. subsidies but contributing only 0.7 percent of the value of U.S. agricultural production. Cotton is next, with a 13 percent share of subsidies.
Furthermore, the farmers are not necessarily who benefit….since more than half of farmland is rented, the benefit to landowners is greater than that to farmers.…those landowners are often urban investors and investment bankers.
On top of that, a large portion of the corn crop goes into meat production. The U.S. meat industry has become increasingly consolidated, with much of the control–and profits–in the hands of a few large corporations.…and less for the actual farmers/ranchers.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
deleted

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Research corn lobby and Senator Chuck Grassley.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

I'm a simple person but the pic's are hard to argue with i guess.

Corn prices
View attachment 103822

Land Prices
View attachment 103823
My bet was a corn subsidy for the farmers.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Research corn lobby and Senator Chuck Grassley.
Yep.

First , “He stated that it has a "public relations problem" with "the ethanol industry, corn farmers and [himself]"

Then Grassley helped expand tax incentives that produces energy from alternative sources including ethanol, wind, biomass, and biodiesel.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Sorry for the confusion…but what you just posted appears to completely contradict what you posted previously (if E-free is 92 and E is 91)..the E-free should run BETTER than E10 in all equipt regardless.
Not necessarily run better but be less prone to knock. Unless running a performance engine (Raptor R, TRX, Z06 vette, some high end German vehicles, modified engines of some sort), the engine will run the exact same on 87 as it will on 93 and everything in between. High compression ratio, or high boost will require higher octane.

Also side note, Ethanol burns less efficiently but creates more power than gasoline due to the lower air fuel mixture requirement, Which is why a lot of race cars run e-90, methanol, or nitro methane methanol mix.

14.7 to 1 air to fuel for Gasoline
9.7 to 1 for ethanol
4.1 to 1 for methanol
1.7 to 1 for nitro meth

the switch between methanol and nitro meth can gain over 100HP naturally aspirated, with a tune and no other engine modifications. Granted you'll go through the fuel very quickly and it is not cheap.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I only run e free in my 2 stroke stuff (chainsaw leaf blowers) all my 4 stroke stuff gets reg 87. Like Tughill said e free is ussually higher octane and thus higher cost in our parts. I also don't keep fuel in the 4 stoke stuff Long enough for it to be a issue. If it's 6 months old (most of the time less then that) it gets drained and put in the truck which doesn't care if a few-5 gallons gets mixed in with the other 15-18 in the truck

Last edited: