Noise under my feet

Reddman

Equipment
B-7610, backhoe, brush hog, box blade, post hole auger
May 8, 2013
Kelso, Washington
New to the site & need advise. Last week our tractor started making a crunching/grinding noise under my feet. Sounds like it's coming from inside the bell housing. I had it jacked up and listened to the bearings, all sounded good.
Put it back on the ground and removed the back hoe, no noise!
Put the back hoe back on & the noise was back.
Could the weight of the back be stressing something out? I disengaged the 4X4, the pto but as soon as I start to move the grinding starts.
Is this going to be an expensive trip to the dealer?:confused:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
It's possible the backhoe's weight is aggravating something but I think it's more likely something related to driving the backhoe is the cause. Grinding sounds usually aren't cheap. The backhoe works normally when it's on? Does the backhoe use a rear PTO driven pump?

Describe the noise. Low speed grinding like a wheel bearing or high speed grinding like a clutch? A sort of clunking sound? Or a loud whirring like two damaged gears?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
Sounds are tricky. It is hard to describe them, and it is hard to imagine them without hearing it for ourselves. Any chance you can post a video of it?
Otherwise, can you quantify the sound? Does it sound like a rotational squeak, say as soon as the wheels start turning, or as soon as you press the pedal to move forward or back (if HST), or if it's as you let out the clutch, etc. You get my drift- is a sound created by some turning force?
Or, is it a weight-induced creak? Movement causes it, but it isn't directly linked? Does it happen even when the PTO is disengaged?
How does turning affect the sound? Nothing, speed it up, slow it down, change in pitch? Anything? How about when you apply the brakes?
Have you done a thorough visual inspection- making sure that nothing is rubbing against tires, etc.?
Obviously, weight on the back is what precipitates it. Have you tried another implement on the back, to make sure it isn't backhoe-related, and to test the weight theory?
I would imagine that, unless it is something simple like tire-rubbing, it will need to go to a mechanic (if you aren't inclined to fix it). But, if you can pinpoint or diagnose the problem, that is less time they will have to spend on it.

Reddman

Equipment
May 8, 2013
Kelso, Washington
I am going to take the back hoe off again tonight & put on the brush hog.
The sound starts as soon as I depress the forward pedal, I haven't payed enough attension to say if it does it when the reverse pedal is depressed.
I am a little over full of oil in my trans, could this cause the noise? I will check it out better tonight & get back tomorrow. No internet where I live.:eek:

Reddman

Equipment
May 8, 2013
Kelso, Washington
After further review I think my luck is not so good. Took off back hoe & put on brush hog, same noise. This time I was able to trace it down better. Sounds like I have lost a bearing in the tail shaft. Time to take to the shop.
Thanks for all your input.;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
After further review I think my luck is not so good. Took off back hoe & put on brush hog, same noise. This time I was able to trace it down better. Sounds like I have lost a bearing in the tail shaft. Time to take to the shop.
Thanks for all your input.;)
Sorry to hear it. Keep us posted- not only is the curiosity peaked, but what you learn could help another owner.

Reddman

Equipment
May 8, 2013
Kelso, Washington
Will do hodge. Plan on taking off the loader, pressure wash & deliver to Watkins tomorrow or monday. 1 thing I have learned so far is the 75 & 76 series tractors have a weak link in the transmission & do not stand up to heavy loads like carrying a full bucket of rock in high gear and the seals of the shafts do not like grass wrapped around them.