No sound from radio

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
The radio was working until one day it wasn't.
It powers up, shows the stations and time but no sound from the speakers.
I pulled the roof off to inspect the wiring. All connections appear intact and the antenna is hooked up.
I am totally ignorant on how to test anything.
Any help out there?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Mute is not activated and no bluetooth.
When you get older, you may appreciate the higher level of hearing you have as the result of not have the radio blaring while using the tractor... :ROFLMAO:

Actually not a laughing matter. Please do use hearing protection as much as possible...ESPECIALLY during your younger years, but always really...

Hope you get the issue resolved soon...(y)

Edit: Just a thought, but if you have a ohm meter, you could check the speaker wiring from where it leaves the radio. You should have resistance in that loop. A broken wire is not always visually apparent. BUT if the output is stereo, it is unlikely both sides would fail at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
When you get older, you may appreciate the higher level of hearing you have as the result of not have the radio blaring while using the tractor... :ROFLMAO:

Actually not a laughing matter. Please do use hearing protection as much as possible...ESPECIALLY during your younger years, but always really...

Hope you get the issue resolved soon...(y)

Edit: Just a thought, but if you have a ohm meter, you could check the speaker wiring from where it leaves the radio. You should have resistance in that loop. A broken wire is not always visually apparent. BUT if the output is stereo, it is unlikely both sides would fail at the same time.
Well, I am no spring chicken, 70 y.o., and my hearing has been deteriorating for years, oh the music of the 70's:cool:. I do have an ohmeter and next warm day I will pop the roof off again and check

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
Besides the mute button, if there is a source button, check that. Also, if there is a headphone jack, try pluging in headphones. Any sound through them? Usually a headphone check will mute speakers--something could have vibrated loose in the jack.

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Besides the mute button, if there is a source button, check that. Also, if there is a headphone jack, try pluging in headphones. Any sound through them? Usually a headphone check will mute speakers--something could have vibrated loose in the jack.
No sound through the headphones either:(

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most likely, the output transistor has gone kaput. Radios today are very inexpensive. Not worth spending a lot of time and money on an old one, when you can find an inexpensive one to replace it.