No hydraulic power to backhoe

thenewblack

Equipment
b7800
Nov 17, 2014
bucks county, pa
My B7800 has a Woods backhoe that takes its hydraulics from the FEL console. The hydraulics to the FEL still work, but not to the backhoe. It has worked for years, and just stopped. I do have sufficient fluid. I think there is a hissing noise at the FEL (hard to hear over engine noise). So I am guessing, out of complete ignorance, there is some kind of pressure release valve that is incorrectly bypassing the fluid and stopping power getting to the backhoe. Is that likely? If so, is there a new valve I can get and install? Or should I have my baby serviced and fixed professionally? Or did I do something stupid that could have switched it off? I don't think I did, but I'm no mechanic.

I'm not sure I can live without a backhoe or tractor at the weekends. I was forced to use a wheelbarrow to carry some logs. What shame!

Thanks for any advice from the wise minds on this board.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do you unhook anything in this process? OR did this just come up out of the blue?
Lower your engine to idle and see if you can here the pressure relief valve kick in....
place you your bucket on the ground and force it to use the bypass valve - then release and try to use the backhoe.....same sound?

Could there be a problem in you FEL conncections? I take it that they are not quick connects? If so - release the pressure and disconnect and then reconnect - see if that will help.

report back with your findings.

thenewblack

Equipment
b7800
Nov 17, 2014
bucks county, pa
Thank you for those helpful suggestions. It just stopped without me touching anything. But the hoses go under the tractor, so your idea that I check the connections is highly sensible. Perhaps something I drove over pulled them loose. I didn't see anything amiss at the weekend, but never thought to check that. My next opportunity to check the hoses (and do the test you suggest) will be at the the weekend.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
My L48 has a lever that feeds hydraulic pressure to the backhoe OR to the 3PH. If the lever is one way the other function does not work.

I've read in other posts where someone has accidently kicked the L48 lever over to the other function and it causes a great deal of confusion similar to your dilemma.

Now, this is on an OEM L48 with a stock Kubota backhoe. But if your backhoe is similarly equipped then it might be worth a check to discover such a lever.

Just thought of something...does your 3PH function now when it didn't before? If so, then there must be a lever that routes the hydraulic feed to the backhoe.

thenewblack

Equipment
b7800
Nov 17, 2014
bucks county, pa
Well, that is an interesting suggestion. I never use the 3ph. User error is a very plausible explanation with this particular user. I shall let you know on Saturday when I can get there. Thanks.

thenewblack

Equipment
b7800
Nov 17, 2014
bucks county, pa
Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm embarrassed to say that the problem was that a quickconnect under the tractor must have snagged on something I drove over and come loose. All is well now, except that my pride might need a little fixing. Thanks again.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm embarrassed to say that the problem was that a quickconnect under the tractor must have snagged on something I drove over and come loose. All is well now, except that my pride might need a little fixing. Thanks again.
That is what OTT is all about. Fellow members helping fellow members consider things they might have overlooked.

No embarrassment is necessary. If you hadn't asked, you may have still been in a mess or your bank account significantly depleted. Just pay it forward when you can contribute.

And BTW, we all love to hear stories with a happy ending!