No 4WD light on MX tractors .... kind of annoying.

CoThG

Equipment
MX6000, Z421
Mar 7, 2021
Ohio
I have a light to tell me when the parking brake is on. I do like the 4WD indicator in the M6060 even though it's much easier to see that 4WD is engaged on that tractor. I have to remember that lever up is 4WD on the MX but the lever isn't in the most convenient spot to grab or see. A dash light would have been nice to have. That's all I'm saying. :)
I don't need an idiot light to tell me what mode my machine is in.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't need an idiot light to tell me what mode my machine is in.
Good for you! All of those idiot M7060/6060, M4, M5, M6, M7 and M8 owners with their idiot lights must really piss you off!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Nope. I'm just aware of my machine.
And clearly I'm not right, since I mentioned a 4WD light as being a feature I'd like to have?

As I said in my first post .... "Not a deal breaker but mildly annoying" and another reason why the MX would be down the road way before the M6060 which is twice the tractor at least, for basically the same amount of money.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
And clearly I'm not right, since I mentioned a 4WD light as being a feature I'd like to have?

As I said in my first post .... "Not a deal breaker but mildly annoying" and another reason why the MX would be down the road way before the M6060 which is twice the tractor at least, for basically the same amount of money.
I'm with you - between the brain cells I destroyed in my youth and the ones I've lost due to aging, I just don't have any to spare remembering the 4wd is engaged. The knob on my L35 is behind my left heel, so it's not exactly right in front of me. Maybe I'll get my indicator installed one of these days.

Reactions: 1 user

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Um.. Pretty easy to install an indicator light if you really want it..

Just sayin..

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
My old B let me know a couple of times when it was not in 4WD. Once going down a hill with the right rear skidding and once spinning the rears and wondering why I am stuck where I do not normally have an issue. An yes, I have blindly shifted out of 4wd when I wanted to change from rabbit to turtle. Looking down is a much better option.

Reactions: 1 users

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'm 100% with @mcmxi on this one. I had a 2019 Grand L 60 series - very nice 4" digital dash display, fancy HST+ transmission. The dash could show you what range you were in, what HST+ mode you were in, if cruise control was set and what speed, how many mph you were going, the time of day, how many gallons of fuel you were currently averaging per hour, plus how many you used, had two trip hour meters, remembered which maintenance services were due, and even had a high beam indicator. But NO 4WD light. It drove me nuts in that tractor, but of course the same thing is true in the MX6000 cab machine I have now. I'd really like an indicator - I once went down a steep hill forgetting I was still in 2WD and almost crashed out. If you go in and out of 4WD a fair amount, its a very useful feature. And while the MX is considered an "economy" tractor, they aren't cheap. I got mine 1 year ago in March and paid $55k for it with the cab, loader, HST, R4 tires, remotes, bucket option, Ballast Star tire ballast, etc. I strongly considered mcmxi's other machine, an M6060, but for what I do (mowing on very steep slopes near water) I really prefer HST because it allows slow, precise movements and instant stopping.

The MX has proven to be a very good tractor, but it needs a better radiator and A/C screen system.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The MX has proven to be a very good tractor, but it needs a better radiator and A/C screen system.
I was running the MX and Del Morino flail last summer in 90F+ weather cutting 4ft to 5ft tall weeds and grass, and by late afternoon it was a struggle for the tractor. I think the vegetation was bogging down the PTO which didn't help, and crawling along at 2 mph in that heat is a tough job for any tractor. At one point the tractor actually shut down on me for a few minutes which wasn't good. It was hard to keep the cab cool and run the flail in that thick stuff, and I was having to get out and clear out the radiator screen far more often than I would have liked. I'm going to line the roof with some insulative material this spring which might help with the cooling.

I agree that the MX is a very good tractor, but like anything it has its limits. This year I'll try the M6060 on those very hot days in the thick stuff.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Take your loader off for mowing if you don’t already. It frees up about 1600lbs of weight you don’t use up horsepower to move around.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Take your loader off for mowing if you don’t already. It frees up about 1600lbs of weight you don’t use up horsepower to move around.
Good advice! I took the bucket off last year but left the loader on. I'll remove the loader this year. I was thinking about running suitcase weights up front to offset the weight of the hydraulic offset flail once the loader is off. Do you think that this would be a waste of time and effort and/or completely unnecessary? I have the weights and it wouldn't be hard to make up a front bracket to hang 8 or 10 weights on.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I just take the whole loader off and add nothing. It feels different at first but ultimately it’s more stable and far better maneuverable.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Good advice! I took the bucket off last year but left the loader on. I'll remove the loader this year. I was thinking about running suitcase weights up front to offset the weight of the hydraulic offset flail once the loader is off. Do you think that this would be a waste of time and effort and/or completely unnecessary? I have the weights and it wouldn't be hard to make up a front bracket to hang 8 or 10 weights on.
I added 300# on the Ford 3930 with a 6' Bush Hog. It's 2wd so lighter on the front than your MX. We had a couple of hilly areas that I had to go up and across and it felt iffy before the weights. If feels much better even on the level now. Since you've got the weights, it's worth a try. Of course, you have the hassle of taking them off to install the loader.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I mow on steeper slopes than probably most here. I'm including a photo of a capped landfill I mow with the MX - note the sidehill mowing - with no loader, and no weights. I run +2" wheel spacers at the rear, plus have the tires set to their widest position, and the rear wheels are loaded. Very stable operation with the 1000+ lb flail mower on the ground right behind the tractor.

Attachments

• Wow

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I mow on steeper slopes than probably most here. I'm including a photo of a capped landfill I mow with the MX - note the sidehill mowing - with no loader, and no weights. I run +2" wheel spacers at the rear, plus have the tires set to their widest position, and the rear wheels are loaded. Very stable operation with the 1000+ lb flail mower on the ground right behind the tractor.
Oh my…I believe my calibrated tiltometer 😉 would deform the vinyl seat…that being said I’d love a bank angle sensor/light in the dash that would work with a loader loaded or without and or rear implement attached. I am sure I may piss and moan on the price but it could be a shutoff mechanism as in a motorcyle rather than light / readout?

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That's some serious mowing there! :oops: No wonder you have such a wide rear wheel spacing on the MX.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I added 300# on the Ford 3930 with a 6' Bush Hog. It's 2wd so lighter on the front than your MX. We had a couple of hilly areas that I had to go up and across and it felt iffy before the weights. If feels much better even on the level now. Since you've got the weights, it's worth a try. Of course, you have the hassle of taking them off to install the loader.
Thanks. Moving the 102lb+ weights around is a good workout so I don't mind taking them on and off. I might not need all 10 of them but maybe I'll make up a front bracket just in case. The Del Morino flail head can be moved off to the right such that it's almost outside of the rear tire so that puts a load on the tractor for sure. If I ever modify the JD 3x16 turnover plow to a 2x16 to run behind the MX the weights up front would be useful so I'll make the effort.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks. Moving the 102lb+ weights around is a good workout so I don't mind taking them on and off. I might not need all 10 of them but maybe I'll make up a front bracket just in case. The Del Morino flail head can be moved off to the right such that it's almost outside of the rear tire so that puts a load on the tractor for sure. If I ever modify the JD 3x16 turnover plow to a 2x16 to run behind the MX the weights up front would be useful so I'll make the effort.
I put a picture on here somewhere. I cut and spliced two of the Kubota brackets together so it'll carry 8 - 55# weights, but I only bought 6. I'd have to eat more Cheerios to handle those real weights.

• Haha