NHTC30 critique

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A friend from church has a New Holland TC30. and he wanted some stabilizers. I made them, and went to his place today to install them. I service his tractor for him, but had only given it a cursory look before.
I appreciate that it has position control, and that it is a step-through drivetrain design.
But, I don't like the shifter- it is on the left side of the steering wheel, and unlike my fathers bigger NH which has a forward/neutral/reverse shifter there, the 30 has 3 speeds and reverse on the dash. There is a 3-range shifter on the left of the seat. The shifter on the dash is clumsy and lose, and I would probably pass the tractor over just because of that.
The tractor also does not have a differential lock- that surprised me.
It runs good, and is a nice size, but I much prefer my B7100. It feels more solid and has better ergonomics, even though it is much older.
It did have turnbuckles, so the TC30 is good for business...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Overall its not a bad tractor. Once-a-pon a time I used to drive trucks for the local New Holland dealer and the TC30 was the only tractor I was some what impressed with. Not a bad price tag either at $13,000 for a 30hp tractor with a loader.

I don't know much about the Italian IVECO diesel engine. The TC30's I hauled for the dealer were new ones I was delivering to a customer. It seemed to be New Hollands popular tractor model. I've given some consideration into buying one which at the time there was a method in my madness. I figured if I went to work for the dealership I might have got an employee discount and I could pay for it as I worked.

NOPE I was wrong...

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The New Holland TC30 was honestly an affordable 30hp tractor with a loader from the factory and sold with a $13,000 price tag to keep up with Kubota in competition on 30hp tractors.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Shibaura built the tractors and the engines. Did they source their engines from Iveco?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I can't keep up with New Holland anymore. I know back 1990 Ford sold off a majority of its holdings to Fiat and in 1999 Fiat/NewHolland merged with Case IH and became CNH Globa. I do remember seeing Vic post something about Shibaura building some New Holland tractors. Pretty much what has steered me away from buying on these days. Too damn confusing.

I do know that back in 05 when I was hauling the New Hollands a majority had Iveco diesels in them.