Newer GM stuff is junk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We can all profess this or that manufacturer is great or sucks.

Seems most have particular issues with certain series. Our only Chrysler product was a 1991 Plymouth minivan with a 3.3l.

Seems many of those 3.3 vehicles of the year had transmission problems, often catastrophic.

Sure enough, our transmission crapped out on her way from church. Warranty coverage and service were great and prompt.

We’ve bought 12-14 new Chevies in 25 years.

One Chevy Uplander minivan blew through front wheel bearings often. Think I did 11 of them….they were expensive too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Ford doesn't exactly have a reputation for issue free electronics. Personally I'd buy a Toyota hybrid or EV car before ever considering a Ford. I'd rather rent or hire a guy with a truck these days instead of having a mortgage payment to cover fuel costs to operate a truck.

I'm more inclined to look at reliability ratings of manufacturers and models.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
GM is notorious for not correcting problems

they design them to be as cheaply built as possible, and with most manufacturers, they do this but they also design them such that they'll get through a warranty period with few failures. GM does not, they design then so that warranty repairs are as inexpensive as possible. They KNOW they ain't getting through the warranty period.

4L60E's, 6L80 transmissions, notorious. Fuse boxes. A/C systems. Motor mounts on some older stuff. Steering shafts. Oil burning engines. Rattling engines. Engines that have porous castings and eat coolant. there are quite a few "little" things that should have been, and would easily have been, corrected but they just keep turning them out and expecting different results?

The very definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again knowing it's not right, and expecting a different result.

note that I don't believe other manufacturers are immune either, but some are more eager to make design changes along the way in a production run, which address the multiple failures. Yes it makes it "interesting" to interchange parts later on, for us techs and for hobbyists alike.

had a gm engineer tell me directly that the product that they're building is highly successful and is reliable enough for most owners. Define "successful" and define "most". This was in reference to the 4L60E/TH700R4 transmissions that failed often. Please note that I don't doubt that multiple failures are often perceived differently when the cost to repair them is high (such as a transmission or engine), but the question is, and should be, WHY do they keep building them that way when they know the failure rates are high?? CHEAP!! (For them....but not for owners)

I know another manufacturer that is similar they just keep pushing that stuff out hoping it lasts, knowing that they won't. Drives me nuts.

I won't buy GM products, at all.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ford doesn't exactly have a reputation for issue free electronics. Personally I'd buy a Toyota hybrid or EV car before ever considering a Ford. I'd rather rent or hire a guy with a truck these days instead of having a mortgage payment to cover fuel costs to operate a truck.

I'm more inclined to look at reliability ratings of manufacturers and models.

reliability figures are often done by "third parties"--who all own, GM or toy vehicles or whatever. I worked for one such company who did studies like this, as a side-gig. IOW, it was biased surveying. Much the same as the biased political surveys I also did. One of the surveys I conducted via phone was one that dealt with a certain political group's ways. At the time we had a R president and the company was seeking feedback on how good or bad of a job the public was perceiving of the then-president. So they had me calling an area of the USA that is predominantly D. Well what did you think was going to happen? That area is statistically 88% d voters and when I ask them if the potus is doing a good job, you can guarantee that all 88% of those is gonna say no.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
We can all profess this or that manufacturer is great or sucks.

Seems most have particular issues with certain series. Our only Chrysler product was a 1991 Plymouth minivan with a 3.3l.

Seems many of those 3.3 vehicles of the year had transmission problems, often catastrophic.

Sure enough, our transmission crapped out on her way from church. Warranty coverage and service were great and prompt.

We’ve bought 12-14 new Chevies in 25 years.

One Chevy Uplander minivan blew through front wheel bearings often. Think I did 11 of them….they were expensive too.

When i was a teenager i worked at at transmission shop.. those 3.3L transmissions were paying the bills... my boss always had some ready to go on the shelf so that i could just R&R 1-2 a day at least once or twice a week. I got so fast at swapping them out because i had a tool tray just for them. Id grab the tray and toss it on a wheeled work bench. My fastest one however was the chev/gm 2wd 700r4. i could have one of those done in under an hour if i busted my butt. took me longer to drain/fill them with fluid than it did to get them in and out.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I'd take MOPAR over GM any day of the week.
Yeah I agree. I'm on my 2nd Ram ecodiesel and I have had a couple of recalls but for the most part no issues. Now I DO buy the extended MOPAR warranty.

Had several GMs when the kids were young--Suburban, Tahoe and the quality was not close to Ford or Ram.

BTW. Nothing beats a Toyota. My wife's 2010 FJ now has 145,000. Here is a list of all service in the past 14 years we owned the car:

Oil changes
New window seals I did three months ago

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
"mine has been great, it's got 150,000 miles"

yeah. Come back and visit that in another 150,000 miles.

With exception of the new mustang I have, most everything else is well beyond 150,000 miles and one is about double that. I keep my stuff. When things start showing signs of failure I replace or repair the part. As a technician, "usually" I can do that without too much issue. I grew up dirt poor and vehicle repairs were normal. I remember well, when I lived up north. Dad had a 1964 Oldsmoblie I think starfire? It had that nasty "slim jim" transmission. Transmission failed one day as he was driving to work. So he had a buddy tow it home with a rope. That evening after I got outta school we pulled that transmission out and rebuilt it at home. Auto transmission rebuilds aren't exactly easy, and the slim jim was a very interesting design. If you know, you know. If not, you should experience one. Pain in the neck! One of the worst transmission designs ever. they were tough as long as they worked but when they died they were junk and a lot of guys scrapped the car because of it. Gosh I hated doing that rebuild, pulling/reinstalling was just as bad, no garage, had to work outside in the snow, below zero. I was bundled up so tight that if the thing fell off the jack that it would have just bounced right off. And I was still cold. I hate cold.

I do not "expect" cars to last 300,000 but if/when they do I take pride in it. When the old mustang was getting tired (2004, v6 auto) I bought another to replace it (was dirt cheap), fixed it up and started driving it while I prepared the 2004 to go on marketplace. It had just turned over 401,000 miles when a young lady said she wanted a Mustang, the price for mine was right, and she was a mechanic at a car dealer on the other side of the state so she wasn't afraid of the mileage. $2300 later she drove it home. I ran into her the other day while visiting friends and she STILL drives it, said she had to put a water pump and timing cover gasket on (common on 3.8/3.9L v6's) but that's the only issues. It has just barely under 500,000 miles when I talked to her. That's gotta be a record for a 2004 mustang with a lowly v6. That little V6 engine, when it didn't have major issues early on (under 100,000 mi), it seemingly ran forever and the car generally got wrecked or fell apart around it. But like anything else, you have to take care of em. Oil changes alone aren't taking care of things. There's trans fluid, differentials, coolant, brake fluid, cables, u-joint lube points, spline couplings, and a whole lot more and if you don't maintain all that stuff, it's gonna fail at some point. We often call it "wore out" and in fact it usually is but could've been prevented by maintaining. Particularly brake fluid and coolant--they seemingly never get flushed.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I won't buy GM products, at all.
Bought my last GM product in 1996 when I got my Wife a new Tahoe. Nice looking vehicle but absolutely plagued with issues. In the first year they replaced 7 (YES SEVEN) fuel pumps on it and never figured out the problem with it.

Circuit board issues. Transmission had to be swapped out (wouldn't shift correctly). My Wife was terrified to drive it, knowing that at some point it was going to leave her on the side of the road. And she was right.

Two fuel injectors were acting up....while in for replacement, when they went to back the vehicle out of the bay the power brake booster went out.

Pulled up to church one morning and noticed a little steam coming from under the hood. Sent my Wife and Daughter inside...while I popped the hood. I could see a very slight leak of coolant right at the intake manifold where a heater hose connected.

I just barely touched the hose and the POT METAL elbow it was connected to broke off and HOT coolant sprayed out all over me. I guess GM couldn't spend another .20 cents to put a real metal connector there.

Right front brake caliper developed a leak. Just before I sold the damn thing the alternator went out.

I swore right there I would NEVER, EVER buy another GM product and kept that promise to myself.

Bought a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser (which I still have to this day) and it now has 342K miles on it. It has NEVER broken down and left us anywhere. I have only replaced 'wear' parts on it.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Funny, when I think back on the 50+ years I've been buying and driving vehicles I've had pretty good luck with all of them, all makes.

Bought this 1976 GMC 4x4 van conversion new, drove it for 32+ years until the body started getting serious rust:
Terravan at Stewart Creekr Sep 1977.jpg

Bought a 1988 Chevy S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 V6 new, drove it for 321,000 miles. No problems with engine or tranny but the body began falling apart.
IMG_4743r.jpg

2004 Dodge/Cummins dually, 6 speed manual. Spends most of its life with a big cabover camper on it and towing the Jeep on a trailer behind it. In 19 years only problem has been a water pump I had to change on the engine a couple years ago.
P1120014.rjpg.jpg

2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost, bought new. 70,000+ miles on it now...all I've ever had to do is change oil/filters and rotate the tires. Never been in the shop for any reason:
P1040387erF15011-28-22.jpg

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've only owned 2 GM vehicles personally. 1969 Grand Prix and 1994 Firebird. The firebird was a nice car to commute in. Never had an issue (other than it seemed like everyone else wanted to race it) but traded it with relatively low miles on it.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Yeah since this post ive replaced my d side rubber brake hose and caliper since going down the highway one day heated up a rotor bad enough to feel like i was driving on square tires. Thought it was the brake line swelled/restricted as i had that happen to my f150 but turned out to be the caliper was sticking a little. And in true GM fasion, my abs sensor had issues after doing the brakes, i apparently bumped the connector enough to make it have a bad connection and thro a code..lol

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Oil changes alone aren't taking care of things. There's trans fluid, differentials, coolant, brake fluid, cables, u-joint lube points, spline couplings, and a whole lot more and if you don't maintain all that stuff, it's gonna fail at some point.
Re-pack muffler bearings?

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
yeah sure. Re-pack your rotary muffler bearings once a year on your gm products for sure
I repack the muffler bearings when I change the blinker fluid. Have not had to replace the muffler or the blinker yet.

• Haha

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There are weak spots with every vehicle. Best thing to do is maintain them well. When discussing oil change intervals, one of our VP's said "Miles don't kill engines, friction does".

I've had company vehicles that went pretty far - Bronco II with 273,000. Had a Chev 1500 4wd that made it to over 300,000. Tahoe with around 315,000. F150 4WD in the high 200's. Last company vehicle was a Trailblazer they sold me cheap that now has 227,000 on it. None were dead when I finished with them.

Granted, there were a lot of highway miles involved. When I was in the field, there were times I needed to fill the gas tank daily.