Newer GM stuff is junk

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Been buying Fords for the last 15 years because GM trucks wouldnt hold up to work, always electrical problems, trans issues and other dumb problems that should have been engineered out by now but against my better judgement i bought a 2015 Denali as a beater/commuter to get to and from work in comfort.
Got it for a deal and 110K miles.

Im out in the rain on Monday (first time since buying the truck) and the wipers dont work on High. Only slow speed. Do some research when i get home to find its not just a relay or switch that needs to be fixed but the entire fuse block under the hood. Apparently the relays that control wiper speed are in an integrated circuit under the fuses and not replacable, Have to replace the entire unit.

Bought a new fuse block from the dealer (they stock them and have several on hand...hmmmm) and all is now good. High speed now works.

So i took apart the old one to see whats up and I find lots of corrosion on the board.

8 year old truck check it out:

3rd pic shows the relay that controls high speed wiper function and is corroded

20230503_163816_resized.jpg

20230503_165925_resized.jpg

20230503_170031_resized.jpg

20230503_170044_resized.jpg

20230503_170102_resized.jpg

20230503_170136_resized.jpg

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
The circuit board was in the big plastic housing but not sealed from weather and mounted in the engine compartment...lol

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Yeah, but how can they be expected to be cost competitive if they put a, to them, $0.25 seal on the lid? That kind of little stuff really adds up.

A Multi-Flex tailgate that was probably envisioned by an engineer while watching a Transformer movie with their kid: THAT’S worth putting money into. Not unnecessary luxuries like fuse box seals.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
Newer? in 1987 I bought a new Fierro. That car was nothing but trouble until I sold it in 1990.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
not surprised. I would have to say that approx 75% of the newer GM pickups on the road seem to have at least one front bulb out (either headlight or marker).

I had a 2000 GMC 3500 HD diesel with two fuel tanks. The large rear tank fed the front tank to the pump. About half the time, the transfer pump wouldn't work correctly despite always filling the small front tank with fuel first.

20 years later, owner of plumbing company buys a new GMC3500 cab/chassis dump with the duramax. He flew out to Ohio to get it and drive it back to eastern PA. He called me several times from various locations along RT 80 asking why the fkng thing was getting such horrible fuel mileage? Said he had to stop every 175-200 or so miles because the fuel gauge was on empty and he couldn't get anymore fuel in the rear tank.

I laughed. I knew what the issue was, but would have thought that the wonderful engineers at GM could have resolved the VERY SAME problem after 20 years...but, NOPE.

Wound up getting it fixed when I too ran out of fuel in it pulling the mini-ex....about 1.5 miles from the owners home. Told him I wouldn't drive it again until it was fixed. It failed once again (but I wasn't driving it at the time). :p

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Sounds like it’s time to try a Ram 🤣
Then i would have to change all my power tools over to Dewalt..and start drinking on the job.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Newer? in 1987 I bought a new Fierro. That car was nothing but trouble until I sold it in 1990.
Yeah but by now, 36 years later you would think they would have this stuff figured out

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, semi bare PCB with lots of power, sitting outside ,being sprayed with salt water....
naa..nothing could possibly go wrong..........
worked GREAT while on the drawing board computer screen......

I rebuilt a freshly rebuilt DODGE 'fuse panel' 8 years ago on May 26th. a fine friggin MESS of bus wires,kinda blob soldered here, there everywhere...

One day I'd like EVERY 'engineer' to actually work on the KRAP they 'design', using normal tools in REAL weather conditions..... yeah, it'll never happen.....

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
hmm, semi bare PCB with lots of power, sitting outside ,being sprayed with salt water....
naa..nothing could possibly go wrong..........
worked GREAT while on the drawing board computer screen......

I rebuilt a freshly rebuilt DODGE 'fuse panel' 8 years ago on May 26th. a fine friggin MESS of bus wires,kinda blob soldered here, there everywhere...

One day I'd like EVERY 'engineer' to actually work on the KRAP they 'design', using normal tools in REAL weather conditions..... yeah, it'll never happen.....
I will give them credit though, it was a 2 minute job to replace. like it was engineered to have to be.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
This truck has heated and cooled seats. The seat bottom heaters dont work. Its a known issue the heating elements were built too fragile and passengers getting in and out of seats move the elements enough to eventually break the circuit.

Truck seat also has a haptic motor in it to warn me if im going to hit something. It works sometimes. its a known issue that the wires leading to the haptic motor get pulled and frayed from the motor so it has to be replaced. What works GREAT and unfailing is the warning that comes on the dash that theres an issue with the driver assist system..lol.......8 year old truck...

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
too late now but a product called Corrosion X is amazing spray to water proof electronics
and printed circuit boards. It is used in the aircraft industry I use it on all the marine wiring I do.
After reading your problem IF I ever bought a new vehicle I would spray the PCB if they were exposed.
I did a Dodge truck that the fuse block got a spray off the wheel through a small factory hole in the front wheel well
might be worth spraying that new fuse/relay with it

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
too late now but a product called Corrosion X is amazing spray to water proof electronics
and printed circuit boards. It is used in the aircraft industry I use it on all the marine wiring I do.
After reading your problem IF I ever bought a new vehicle I would spray the PCB if they were exposed.
I did a Dodge truck that the fuse block got a spray off the wheel through a small factory hole in the front wheel well
might be worth spraying that new fuse/relay with it
Ill get rid of it before it becomes another problem. I figure 2 years tops for beater commuter work trucks. Once it gets around 160k its time to throw away. That way i dont spend every weekend fixing it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD that had a recall to replace the airbag. I took it to the local Chevy dealership to have the work done. When I took the truck in the radio was working. When I picked the truck up, the radio was not working. I talked with the service manager and he claimed they were not responsible and refused to fix the radio. He said that it was not working when I brought it in and that I had to pay $110.00 labor per hour +parts to get it fixed. They claimed that nothing they did while replacing the air bag could have caused the radio to stop working. I call BS because they had to remove part of the dash to get to the airbag and that just happens to be where the radio is located.

Anyway, I think that the whole GM network from manufacturing to dealership sales and service have gone steadily downhill for at least the last 20 years.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Got a good deal on an out of state vehicle from a flood write off?
lol no . its a gm product, none of the electricals would work if that were the case

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
GM engineers apparently don't engineer, or take all of the days of the week off instead of just M and F. ;)

My brother bought a 2012 Cadillac Escalade a few months ago to replace his 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. The Escalade doesn't have a cabin air filter. He found out when he wanted to replace it. :D. Btw, they scored the air box for one, but somebody thought it was good idea to ship them without it installed. Not a big deal other than his hands don't work well any more. I might get drafted to do the few hour install, but he's a few hours away from here.

My last GM product was 2004. It was actually ok, but the seats were wearing out like most of that era pretty quickly.