New Turfs + Wheels for BX?

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Called my 'local' dealer in Maryland, and was quoted $304 for a set of 4 turfs including wheels for my BX. Said about another $100 or so to fill them all with their antifreeze.

Good deal? Bad deal? Middle of the road deal?

I currently have R4s, and while nice, my ground is just far too mushy for the work I need to do right now (thanks blizzard plus endless rain!). I'm feeling that turfs will keep me from making too many ruts...

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
I have the turfs on mine from the start for the same reason that you are looking at them. I did not load mine due to soft ground in spring and fall and have had no problem with them even in the snow without chains.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Called my 'local' dealer in Maryland, and was quoted $304 for a set of 4 turfs including wheels for my BX. Said about another $100 or so to fill them all with their antifreeze.

I currently have R4s, and while nice, my ground is just far too mushy for the work I need to do right now (thanks blizzard plus endless rain!). I'm feeling that turfs will keep me from making too many ruts...

Great deal on the tires/rims
Rim + Tire for less that 75 bucks???? That damn good! Bet you can sell you old R4's ???? OR was that a trade value? Cause that would suck - you trading IN the old R4's for turfs..... I might come up there and by your R4's!!!!:)

.....you can load them for a lot less. Walmart had/had 1 gal -20 windshield washer for 1.58 gallon ......

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That price you were quoted is a really good one. I called my dealer to get a replacement front tire recently and he quoted me $74,99 + tax for just one tire, without the rim. I found the same tire on Amazon.com for $38.95 with shipping included. The tire was not the the same brand Kubota uses but the same specs are exactly the same. I purchased two of them just in case there was something different that I could not see. When they arrived, they were the exact same as the original tires that came on my Kubota. I only replaced the one tire and I now have a spare one. The after tax cost for two tires from Amazon.com was less than the dealer wanted to charge for just one.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Good info thanks guys! Yeah that's definitely the 'brand new' price without trade in that I got...I triple-checked that I was hearing it correctly because it sounded pretty cheap!

The only thing I can guess is that they have some extra sets sitting around that they want to get rid of? Maybe they swap them off for people that would rather have R4's and have a bunch sitting around? Dunno, just guessing :)

I like Martywoodburners suggestion though, keep the loaded R4's for heavy FEL work, and just use the unfilled turfs for lawn/snow work. I'm really hoping these are a little easier on my mushy property!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So a newbie question. Why fill all with liquid, instead of just the rears?
Typically you do not fill the front tires........since most of the time you are lifting something heavy on the front end, the fronts have plenty of traction while lifting - sometimes added weight IS placed on the front end (weights) Also the steering can be affected if weight is in the tires, turning back and forth ON the wheels rather than on the frame. By filling the rears - you are adding weight to the tractor WITHOUT adding weight to the axle / frame etc..... the liquid is carried by the tires only! And at 75% fill rate, you still have a little air cushion for those bumps!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Adding antifreeze adds about 100# per rear wheel. Will adding 200# to a 1600 to 2000# tractor (including implements) make a difference in the damage caused by weight on mushy ground? It will increase traction on mushy ground and on snow. Wheel spin caused by loss of traction will do lots of damage to the mushy ground.

Personally I have no desire to change 100#+ tires twice per year, but then my tires have beet juice and are 125# + tires.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Al four turf tires on my little BX are filled with beet juice. Though I imagine each front, being so small, probably only added 40 pounds a tire if that.
A difference I notice is when the FEL is loaded with a lot of weight. The tires, having less actual air volume, do not get as compressed as my neighbors BX does with a similar weight. I bet he rolls a bead off a rim before I do.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Al four turf tires on my little BX are filled with beet juice. Though I imagine each front, being so small, probably only added 40 pounds a tire if that.
A difference I notice is when the FEL is loaded with a lot of weight. The tires, having less actual air volume, do not get as compressed as my neighbors BX does with a similar weight. I bet he rolls a bead off a rim before I do.
I have rolled my front tires off the bead even though I had them both filled with 30 lbs of air. The front tires compress very much with a heavy load of rocks in the bucket. After I filled al 4 of my tires with water I noticed that the fronts no longer compress as much as they did with just air in them. Adding liquid to the front tires definitely made a big difference in how the tractor handles with a heavy load in the FEL.

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA

Orangelivin, I sent a PM your way hoping to learn your source. I'm here in Northern VA and have a (new to me) BX that's just a bit hard on my lawn in some areas. I'm on hilly terrain and the softer spring ground leads to tear outs, so I'm considering turfs or just a second set of wheels. At $304, the second set of wheels would look like a pretty good option.

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
I recently asked a dear here for a price on turfs. It was looking like 600.
Not sure how accurate that is. Going to email one day and get something in writing.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
If you want to get a spare set, talk to sales and not the parts counter. I did that today, list price from sales via whole goods is $340 and $1500 from parts. This is for the set of 4 wheel & tire assembly. I got out the door for $385 with RimGuard in the rears and tax. Will be easy to swap having the back hoe...no jack needed***55357;***56832;

origami

Equipment
'12 BX25. Previous: '95 B1700
Apr 18, 2016
Leesburg, VA
If you want to get a spare set, talk to sales and not the parts counter. I did that today, list price from sales via whole goods is $340 and $1500 from parts. This is for the set of 4 wheel & tire assembly. I got out the door for $385 with RimGuard in the rears and tax. Will be easy to swap having the back hoe...no jack needed***55357;***56832;
Excellent tip. Thank you.

socapots

Equipment
bx2360, Landpride box blade, FEL.
Nov 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Certainly worth a try.
I'm going to see how the tires on it now go.