New tractor with scratches

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
I try to keep mine nice and it is in excellent shape but the paint is a giveaway that it is 6 years old and works pretty hard.

Tchess450

Equipment
BX23S with 60inch deck. implements, blade, forks, spreader, and more.
Jun 18, 2018
Pa
I would not accept it. I don’t care what it is new is new. Also every time someone buys something like that the dealer gets away with selling that crap. My tractor cost more then the Car I drive and I didn’t accept my car pre scratched. Someone did just hit It with their door and took nice chip of paint out oh.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
When a new unit on our has damage like that, we replace the fender or hood. You can not touch it up with a can of spray paint and make it look decent.
The price of the tractor is for an unscratched unit, not a scratched unit. If it is shipping damage, Kubota will warranty the parts and labor.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I try to keep mine nice and it is in excellent shape but the paint is a giveaway that it is 6 years old and works pretty hard.

Do you keep it outside? 6 years is not that old for the paint to be bad. My 10 year old paint still looks new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22R

Feb 29, 2020
GONZALES, La
I wouldn't but.....that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Alot of opinions both ways on this I am in the camp of it should be damm near perfect if brand new but I also try to keep my stuff in good shape. But if a person knows it will sit outdoors, be beat on and scratched up soon anyway go for it--Yo Money.

22R

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
Do you keep it outside? 6 years is not that old for the paint to be bad. My 10 year old paint still looks new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I keep it under a lean to shed but it is outside a lot and often I just leave it out. The paint has faded and I use it in the woods a lot so there are scratches from bushes and chains and signs of use especially around the bucket. I follow the maintenance schedule and try to keep it looking nice and it does but it is a tractor and jobs getting done is the priority. Sometime soon I will get around to touching up and painting the faded hood.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Today's the big day. I'll be heading out this afternoon to pick up my new 2501. Dealer sent pictures yesterday of the touch up job, and they looked good. I'll be posting pics of the new rig soonly.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One of the attractions of my M4700 (bought used) was it’s clean appearance. (See my avatar taken the day I got it home)

When my grandkids inherit it I plan for it to look just as good when it’s considered “antique”. If I scratch it... I can rattle-can paint it. But if it was from a dealer it should meet the definition of “new”.

Since (probably in his excitement) the OP told them to touch-up paint it... that told the dealer the level of expectations the OP would accept. Done is done.

ENJOY that TRACTOR!

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I picked up the tractor today and it looked great! I'm glad I didnt let a couple small scratches be a deal breaker.....that kubota #2 paint works better than I was expecting. I put 1.5 hours on it this afternoon and this little tractor is a beast! I'm pleasantly surprised in its performance.

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Did it come with that trailer ? Or did you already own that...or buy it for the purpose...?

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Glad it worked out. I have put a lot of small scratches on my new machine (mowing under orchard trees). I need to learn how to buff out and paint this winter during down time.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
Did it come with that trailer ? Or did you already own that...or buy it for the purpose...?

I already had the trailer, it’s a 16’. I was worried It was gonna be to small, especially with a rotary cutter hooked up. It turned out to be perfect, the cutter will hang off a bit but no biggie.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
there's a lot of unknown's.

If the tractor was signed for as "delivered and damages/shortages noted"--and no notes on the freight bill, then it is assumed that the load was undamaged and all there. However.....when the loads show up on flat bed trailers, sometimes there's 10-15 tractors on the load, a dealer simply cannot make time to assemble each tractor upon receipt (for one there ain't enough time in a days' work) to make sure, so they simply eyeball everything as best they can. Once signed for, it becomes much harder to file it as shipping damage, unless otherwise noted. I've had to "eat" quite a few fenders and hoods over the years and they're never cheap as you can imagine. In some cases, it costs more than we actually make on the sale. That was the case with Deere for sure.

Damage due to final assembly is an option. Not likely but it is possible. The fenders are installed onto the tractor in a crate, but backwards (facing towards each other) so any scratches on the outer part would be likely to happen during installation or possibly AFTER the final assembly, say, sitting on the lot and someone brushes against it with a forklift or another tractor or whatever. Sometimes people back their vehicles into them and just drive off. Seen that a time or two. Belt buckles...during installation of the fenders....can cause it too, but the tech who did it is responsible there. Sometimes he never knows if he's in a hurry. Maybe a customer leaned over it while shopping. Or a vandalism issue. Could be a million things.

Yeah if it bothers you ask the dealer how he plans on fixing the issue. If you're good with a little discount, then take it if offered. If not offered and you're not happy about it, have them transfer one in that's not damaged and let them figure out how to fix their stuff. Another option, have 'em remove a pair of fenders from a L3301 or L3901 that aren't scratched and swap them with the 2501. Same fenders I think. The only differences are the HST vs 4wd stickers. But in doing so, they'll have to be real careful about scratching the "new" ones too during removal and installation.

yeah I've tried to touch them up and it is tedious work, and rarely perfect no matter how you try. A body shop can do it and get it perfect but it also costs about as much as a fender does. Their labor and material is expensive too.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
yeah I've tried to touch them up and it is tedious work, and rarely perfect no matter how you try. A body shop can do it and get it perfect but it also costs about as much as a fender does. Their labor and material is expensive too.
It doesnt take much imagination to feel the frustration dealers must undergo for such things.... But most shoppers have little empathy for dealers, somehow seeing them as the enemy and forgetting they are actually enablers for us in most ways, and deserve the income that they work for.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I hauled a huge amount of JD's out of Horicon, Wisconsin in my day and they all went in metal framework crates which were unloaded via fork lift. I never had to sign off for damage incurred to any tractor, all in the dealer and Deere.

Deere live loaded the trailer and secured the load as well. I did nothing but provide the ratchet straps. They did everything.