New tractor with 37 hours *updated*

TonyinTexas

Equipment
L4060 with loader, backhoe, box blade
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
This has been bothering me for a while now. My L4060LE was dropped off with 37 hours 2 weeks ago. I love the machine, no issues. I purchssed new, the dealer had this one brought in from another location.

They had to add the backhoe frame, swap tires and flush the old diesel (sitting 6 months) so that accounts for some I'm sure. It had no scratches or anything on it so its likely not a return but no way to be sure.

Now it's back for its 50hr service and it just bugs me to get a new machine with that number, and having to take it right back after 1 week of use. I have seen others post about machines coming with over 10 hours and how thats a problem but I haven't seen this many.

I spoke with the salesman and service manager who did the work. Both claim to have no idea it had so many and that's where the conversation ends. Salesman won't acknowledge the hours over email which is interesting.

I want to just let it go and enjoy the tractor. My only concern is how it was ran for those hours.

What would you do in my shoes?

Update: They issued a check to make up for the hours.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This has been bothering me for a while now. My L4060LE was dropped off with 37 hours 2 weeks ago. I love the machine, no issues. I purchssed new, the dealer had this one brought in from another location.

They had to add the backhoe frame, swap tires and flush the old diesel (sitting 6 months) so that accounts for some I'm sure. It had no scratches or anything on it so its likely not a return but no way to be sure.

Now it's back for its 50hr service and it just bugs me to get a new machine with that number, and having to take it right back after 1 week of use. I have seen others post about machines coming with over 10 hours and how thats a problem but I haven't seen this many.

I spoke with the salesman and service manager who did the work. Both claim to have no idea it had so many and that's where the conversation ends. Salesman won't acknowledge the hours over email which is interesting.

I want to just let it go and enjoy the tractor. My only concern is how it was ran for those hours.

What would you do in my shoes?
Maybe contact the Kubota district manager, and ask what he will do for you?

Reactions: 1 user

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
kinda curious... how many hours were on it when you saw it at the dealership and said I'll buy it ?
Unfortunately I'm not sure. I drove to see it before it was shipped to my dealer but didn't have too much time to look over everything and i just assumed it was under 10

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was thinking about doing this. Wanted to get opinions before i risk upsetting anyone
"risk" ???? upsetting anyone?
It IS an issue, and deserves attention.
You ordered, (and paid for) a NEW tractor, but you were delivered a USED one.

Reactions: 1 users

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
I can't see how a dealer can sell you a tractor with 37 hours on it as new with a straight face. I hope you got a good discount on it as well. At minimum the 50 hour service should be free. I just bought a used BX from a dealer, it had 3 hours on it. Yes THREE. They also have a few others for sale as used with under 20 hours.

If they say anything about you not noticing the hours, tell them the truth, you were too excited about GETTING A BRAND NEW TRACTOR to even look at the hour meter.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This has been bothering me for a while now. My L4060LE was dropped off with 37 hours 2 weeks ago.
That would bother me too. I've purchased four new Kubota tractors since 2016 and none had more than 13 hours on the meter. Maybe my fifth will have less than 1 hour on the meter if the current trend continues. :ROFLMAO:

2016 BX25D > 13.0 hours
2021 MX6000 > 2.7 hours
2021 MX6000 > 1.5 hours
2022 M6060 > 1.1 hours

I would contact Kubota corporate and see what they have to say about it.

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
"risk" ???? upsetting anyone?
It IS an issue, and deserves attention.
You ordered, (and paid for) a NEW tractor, but you were delivered a USED one.
You're right. I've just had a heck of a year. Lost everything in a tornado (matador tx june of this year) Working on rebuild/replacing everything and have had so many issues with companies. I'm just tired. And I love the tractor so I don't want issues when i bring it in for service.

That said, I do plan to follow up with them after all of the responses here and input from friends. I appreciate it

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It’s not my machine or my money, but that doesn’t pass the smell test to me. Honestly if it was shipped direct from the another dealer (not the one you made the order through) to you that’s sort of odd, but normally there is opportunity to check before accepting delivery. Even if that was skipped that’s not right where I come from…should buyer have checked before accepting, yes, extra shame on the dealer double yes. Personally I agree with comment above but I’d also ask the owner if you can what does he/she/it thinks and is that what is should be expected from their dealership? If it is that says a lot about taking other business there including service…just my opinion. Id want to know if they think that is ok and how they plan to make that right. Then if they think nothing wrong with what they delivered then by all means you should give them some acknowledgment to there Kubota rep. 37 hours IMO is a demo unit and for me it should have been serviced before they delivered….should not even have to ask…As far as price expectation for a demo unit that’s up to you and what you think….again not my money or machine but a demo unit is usually less than new….but I’d start with the owner…do they even know or aware? Is it crappy sales person or crappy dealer…I’d give the dealership the opportunity to set that straight. Just my opinion. Honestly I am pissed for you…i think that sucks. I hope they do the right thing. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
I can't see how a dealer can sell you a tractor with 37 hours on it as new with a straight face. I hope you got a good discount on it as well. At minimum the 50 hour service should be free. I just bought a used BX from a dealer, it had 3 hours on it. Yes THREE. They also have a few others for sale as used with under 20 hours.

If they say anything about you not noticing the hours, tell them the truth, you were too excited about GETTING A BRAND NEW TRACTOR to even look at the hour meter.
Good points. Unfortunately I paid full price. I'm hoping to work something out with them.

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
It’s not my machine or my money, but that doesn’t pass the smell test to me. Honestly if it was shipped direct from the another dealer (not the one you made the order through) to you that’s sort of odd, but normally there is opportunity to check before accepting delivery. Even if that was skipped that’s not right where I come from…should buyer have checked before accepting, yes, extra shame on the dealer double yes. Personally I agree with comment above but I’d also ask the owner if you can what does he/she/it thinks and is that what is should be expected from their dealership? If it is that says a lot about taking other business there including service…just my opinion. Id want to know if they think that is ok and how they plan to make that right. Then if they think nothing wrong with what they delivered then by all means you should give them some acknowledgment to there Kubota rep. 37 hours IMO is a demo unit and for me it should have been serviced before they delivered….should not even have to ask…As far as price expectation for a demo unit that’s up to you and what you think….again not my money or machine but a demo unit is usually less than new….but I’d start with the owner…do they even know or aware? Is it crappy sales person or crappy dealer…I’d give the dealership the opportunity to set that straight. Just my opinion. Honestly I am pissed for you…i think that sucks. I hope they do the right thing. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. You make great points. I have photos showing hours when dropped off so I'm emailing the salesman now. He ignored this in my last email while responding to a different section of the email so I will likely have to talk to someone higher. You make a good point about service being iffy if thats how they do sales.

I have no idea what demo units go for and it wasn't scratched like I would expect for a demo unit. Interestingly, there were 2 at the source location and they chose to send this. Almost as to move the high hour unit knowingly. I would have expected $2,000 off and that's what I hope to achieve. If thats in the form of a discount on an implement, thats fine

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I'm with those above - one of my serious quirks or pet peeves with new vehicles of any form. IF I know ahead of time, I can adjust but have rarely done so. FWIW - I keep and maintain my stuff long-term.

I would have said something right away at delivery - You should expect compensation & 50H service for sure!

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
37? Man, I did a whole lot of work in the first 37 hours! That definitely has an odor about it.

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
37 hours is a year of use for many compact tractors, my tractor just turned 75 hours and was two years old this month.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for your reply. You make great points. I have photos showing hours when dropped off so I'm emailing the salesman now. He ignored this in my last email while responding to a different section of the email so I will likely have to talk to someone higher. You make a good point about service being iffy if thats how they do sales.

I have no idea what demo units go for and it wasn't scratched like I would expect for a demo unit. Interestingly, there were 2 at the source location and they chose to send this. Almost as to move the high hour unit knowingly. I would have expected $2,000 off and that's what I hope to achieve. If thats in the form of a discount on an implement, thats fine
Another thought is if you talk to the owner, first see what they think, they should want to make it right and they may not have known…if they are difficult or see nothing wrong ask what is the trade in price for a 50 hr unit? It’s not the new price, that’s for sure, if it comes to that ask how the dealer thinks you should feel after they won’t buy it back for same price and it clearly wasn’t right…if the in trade value back in cash and if no match what you paid the you know they are putting it to you…I hope they are not but maybe the owner will see what happened was not right and try to fix that. Keep calm and give them the chance to right the mistake…mistakes happen. It could be nothing more than a mistake and poor dealer set up check….it sucks but maybe they will gladly fix after they understand what happened.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are the hours noted on the sales contract?

Reactions: 2 users

TonyinTexas

Equipment
Nov 7, 2023
Texas
Another thought is if you talk to the owner, first see what they think, they should want to make it right and they may not have known…if they are difficult or see nothing wrong ask what is the trade in price for a 50 hr unit? It’s not the new price, that’s for sure, if it comes to that ask how the dealer thinks you should feel after they won’t buy it back for same price and it clearly wasn’t right…if the in trade value back in cash and if no match what you paid the you know they are putting it to you…I hope they are not but maybe the owner will see what happened was not right and try to fix that. Keep calm and give them the chance to right the mistake…mistakes happen. It could be nothing more than a mistake and poor dealer set up check….it sucks but maybe they will gladly fix after they understand what happened.

I emailed them again, this time with proof of the hours when they dropped it off. It was forwarded to manager and he wrote a check. Not quite the difference between new and trade in, but I consider it fair.

Reactions: 12 users