New toy for next year

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
No, not really. Case was the first round baler way back when, which is CNH_Fiat now.
Actually, you are wrong. Allis Chalmers made the first production round baler in 1940 and produced for about 20 years. Then in the early 1970’s, Vemeer reintroduced the concept.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
The allis round bales were about the same size as idiot cubes. One of our neighbors had one. I've never seen a case. I have a question about the hydraulic tension system. Is the tension constant throughout the whole bale or does it still make the outside tighter than the inside?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, you are wrong. Allis Chalmers made the first production round baler in 1940 and produced for about 20 years. Then in the early 1970’s, Vemeer reintroduced the concept.
I'll stand corrected then...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The allis round bales were about the same size as idiot cubes. One of our neighbors had one. I've never seen a case. I have a question about the hydraulic tension system. Is the tension constant throughout the whole bale or does it still make the outside tighter than the inside?
Tension increases as the bale grows. The center has to be soft or the bale won't start rolling in the bale chamber and you'd never be able to use a hay spear because you would never get it to penetrate. You always want the outside to be tight to shed rainwater if the bales is
outside anyway. Of course net somewhat eliminates that issue.

One I have has adjustable tension from the tractor seat. Actually all the bailing parameters are adjustable from inside the cab, bale tension, size number of wraps of net and wraps of twine plus I can custom input twine patterns if I want to. The in cab computer is like a video game, only you don't need a quarter, more like 40 grand to play. I can switch from net to twine on the fly too but I prefer net because it's much quicker to run a bale.
t's all expensive fun.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, I'd prefer large squares. Problem is, my customer cannot handle them and I'd need a much larger tractor too. Somewhere around 150 PTO.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess on big proprietary equipment that can be true. Or anything made by Deer that you can't "read". I would agree that a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold.

In my case, I put 4000 hours on my last tractor - I never broke a thing on it and never went to the dealer again. Over 400hrs on my new one and SFSG.

I have never been back to a dealer with an attachment issue (over 30 years). I have needed some repairs along the way that I tend to handle.

With the internet today making the world smaller, you have a lot more resources than we ever had before.

Riddle me this? Would you rather have something with great support that breaks a lot, or something with bad support that never breaks? For me the answer would be in the middle.
I have never had the need to take my tractors back for anything either. Only implement I've had back was a 5' rotary cutter and only then because it was under warranty and needed to prove a point to a sorry excuse for a dealer.

I love the internet and parts that can be found but when hay is down with rain on the way a dealer that stocks parts is what you want instead of a computer.

I'll go with dependable equipment for the win. That said on things in hay or harvesting you will always need to have a dealer that can help when needed.

Reactions: 1 users

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
My brother had a vermeer 706C. Our 4030 wasn't big enough to lift the bales with the loader so we always used forks on the 3 point. My nephew has a 605 super F now and he can use a spear on those.