New Tooth Bar

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
Installed my new tooth bar, made from 5/8" AR steel. Took little more than an hour to cut out with a CNC plasma cutter and assemble by a very talented welder. My thanks to my brother in law and his employer for allowing this employment perk.
Many have said on this forum that a tooth bar makes digging in dirt piles and virgin ground much easier, I am now in complete agreement, like a hot knife through butter compared to a standard bucket edge.

Attachments

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I would hate to bump my leg against that! Just thinking about it hurts! Im sure it works great though!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Installed my new tooth bar, made from 5/8" AR steel. Took little more than an hour to cut out with a CNC plasma cutter and assemble by a very talented welder. My thanks to my brother in law and his employer for allowing this employment perk.
Many have said on this forum that a tooth bar makes digging in dirt piles and virgin ground much easier, I am now in complete agreement, like a hot knife through butter compared to a standard bucket edge.
5/8" AR 500 is wicked stuff. I don't think you'll have any trouble with it bending. Hell, it would make a nice bulletproof shield.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
So if one were to make a toothed bar like this one from just flat bar stock, not AR material how long would it hold its edge. I would like to make one, but don't think I have any AR steel available anywhere close by. Even if I had to "sharpen" it every so often that would be ok with me but maybe it would wear to quickly, and not be worth my effort. So what do you think?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the reply, I will give the guard some serious thought.
You're welcome, never walked into mine yet, but with my luck, I knew it was just a matter of time. Worried about others (neighbors, wife) also. (picture that lawsuit) When I'm using it, I try to stick the edge in the ground during idle periods.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
If you use your bucket to plow snow in the winter, you might want to have your brother in law make you a straight bar. Your driveway will thank you...