New (to me) 2550DT

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Hi All,

I just purchased a 1987 2550DT. (I'm upgrading from a Ford 8N.) I am new to diesels. I have two questions:

1. I have been having fun reading the owner's manual while waiting for delivery of the tractor. The manual states; "It should be avoided to continue engine slow idle for a long time or repeat engine starting more than necessary." I have been told by some people that lots of on/off treatment tends to foul the injectors, and it is better to let the vehicle run. Please provide some guidance.
2. The manual suggests always backing up a steep hill, to reduce possibility of tipping over. I would guess that, with a front end loader, this would not be much of a problem for any reasonable driver, even if the bucket is empty. If there is a history of problems, would it not be good to always have an implement on the back, such as a box scraper or a blade, to serve as an outrigger?

Thanks for the help.

Phil

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My tendency was always to let the tractor idle if it wasn't going to be off for a while. I don't recall reading anything that promoted either solution. My new 3200 swallows gas like crazy, so I tend to shut it off...
Backing up the hill is a pretty good idea. The FEL will help hold the front end down if you go up the hill forward, but you have to keep it really low. Having an implement on the back raised up causes the front end to be even lighter than without it, and the front end can get really unpredictable. If the hill is steep enough, you are scared to death trying to turn around and drive back down. While you are sideways all of the geometry is wrong for you - particularly the FEL and ballast on the back - they are both up in the air, and ruining your center of gravity. And you don't want to back down, because then the brakes are trying to make the tractor do a backward somersault. If you back up the grade you are in a good position to chicken out and head back down when you give up...
Just a note of caution: if you have a load in the loader bucket and head uphill - like if you were making a pile of dirt - the bucket will happily dump half of its contents in your lap or on your hood! Your tendency is to think about the job, not about what the tractor is doing. So you raise up the bucket, then head up the pile, sometimes at a considerable incline, and BAM! You are covered in whatever you were piling, and your shiny orange hood is smashed! Done wrong enough, it can kill you, or your wife or #1 son...

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
Gpreuss, thanks for the response. I will take your comments regarding backing up a steep hill to heart. I see no reason to find out how effective the ROPS is.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My friend did you say thats an 1987???? Pretty darn clean for a 25 year old tractor,,Ya done good

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My new (to me) tractor was finally delivered. I thought you would enjoy some pictures. The first shows the tractor. The second shows that it has a heater! The third shows it has air conditioning.
Love your air conditioner! And sense of humor...