New Purchase Help

Shadow81

Apr 3, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm new here and would love some help on deciding on my next tractor. I've owned 2 Kubotas previously and I'm considering my next tractor to be a Kubota as well although I'm not 100% sold yet. I am looking at either an L4701 or an MX5400. It's a business purchase this time so reliability is definitely a big issue for me. Any help would be great. I will also be reading other threads to see what people are saying about reliability. Thanks in Advance.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Shadow - welcome to the forum.

We are going to ask you a bunch of questions about your use of the tractor and what you plan to do with it!

I'll start off with - primary use? Dealership near by? Budget?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Most people seem to say the MX5400 is about the same price as the L4701, but quite a lot more tractor. So unless you're putting it on a trailer (in which case the extra weight could be a problem), the MX is the way to go.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I chose the MX5400 over the L because of lift capacity, pto hp and width. I use it in our equipment yard and it has done some construction type work for building pad prep. I use box blade, bucket. and fork lift. It compliments my skid steer. I move dirt and rock with the bucket. It reaches into one of my dump trucks easily.
It can be trailered and keep under 10k weight. My tractor loader and all plus trailer around 9k gvw.
I like it so much I just ordered a second one without the loader. as work request using the box blade has increased. I thought about downsizing tractor number two to an L series and then I decided I wanted two duplicate machines. For simple interchangeable parts and operator ease. Both have top n tilt.
The difference in cost is minimal. Depending on what you use it for that cost could be quickly made up for in productivity.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Hello everyone. I'm new here and would love some help on deciding on my next tractor. I've owned 2 Kubotas previously and I'm considering my next tractor to be a Kubota as well although I'm not 100% sold yet. I am looking at either an L4701 or an MX5400. It's a business purchase this time so reliability is definitely a big issue for me. Any help would be great. I will also be reading other threads to see what people are saying about reliability. Thanks in Advance.
[/QUOTE

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
I choose L4701 over Mx price was only 2k difference.I felt not running large farm implements turbo extra pto hp never use.Both have same size back tires fronts are not as loader is smaller on 4701.Back hoes are the same BH 92 I purchased Q15 quick hitch so Cat II will work on 3pt hitch.I use tractor around house didn’t want to much weight in a tractor when ground is wet when FEL and BH is added weight goes up quickly!!Either tractor will serve you well definitely get some more tractor with MX I personally have been very happy with 4701.Good luck with your tractor purchase let us know what you end up with.

paulinboise

Equipment
Kubota
Apr 12, 2021
Garden Valley, Idaho
I am considering an MX5400 right now as well, still figuring out how to configure it then will be looking to check pricing to ensure I am note getting hosed. I will work hard to buy it locally in Boise but given how crazy the growth is here I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20% premium in buying locally. Please keep me posted, direct message is fine as well. Best of luck.

vanhanz

Equipment
Kubota L3301 HST, Hustler SD60, Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans 4x4
Aug 1, 2018
GA
I am considering an MX5400 right now as well, still figuring out how to configure it then will be looking to check pricing to ensure I am note getting hosed. I will work hard to buy it locally in Boise but given how crazy the growth is here I wouldn't be surprised to see a 20% premium in buying locally. Please keep me posted, direct message is fine as well. Best of luck.
For what its worth, when I was buying I tried to contact a few other dealers that weren't local like Messicks and some that were in the same state but further away, they said that Kubota didn't want non local dealers to sell tractors outside of their area, and I needed to work with my local Kubota dealer. I had two about the same distance that would service me.

Shadow81

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry it took me a couple weeks to get back on here but I had some personal stuff come up. I have since went and looked at both machines at my local dealer and the MX is definitely a larger machine. I want to run a 6 foot Rotary Cutter and a 6 foot Tiller. I also plan to use a 6 foot box blade and rear blade. I just wanna make sure I have enough PTO HP for those. I even considered a Grand L series for the nicer machine. He had an L4060 which I really liked and the dealer stated that I could run 6 foot implements with that as well. What are your guys thoughts? I wont but doing alot of heavy lifting so what the Grand L will lift is OK. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry it took me a couple weeks to get back on here but I had some personal stuff come up. I have since went and looked at both machines at my local dealer and the MX is definitely a larger machine. I want to run a 6 foot Rotary Cutter and a 6 foot Tiller. I also plan to use a 6 foot box blade and rear blade. I just wanna make sure I have enough PTO HP for those. I even considered a Grand L series for the nicer machine. He had an L4060 which I really liked and the dealer stated that I could run 6 foot implements with that as well. What are your guys thoughts? I wont but doing alot of heavy lifting so what the Grand L will lift is OK. Thoughts?
You should have more than enough with MX I can run 6ft implements with 4701 the L4060 nice tractor if you can afford bells and whistles go for it !! Good luck on purchase.