New Pallet Forks

SusanDuffy

Equipment
B2601
Apr 8, 2022
Bremerton, Washington
I own a B2601.
I am considering buying pallet forks, Land and Pride, PFL1242, $980.00.
The forks are 250 pounds. The air dust collection system I want to pick up is 300 pounds.
Do I need to purchase suit case weights? If so how much weight?
thank You for your expertise, it is much appreciated.

cuboodle

Equipment
B2601
May 9, 2023
PA
Tough one. How high are you lifting your dust collector. What is the terrain like ie side slope/tilt. 300 lbs on a nice level surface at a low -say headlight high shouldn't need any ballast. Add a few degrees of tilt and a higher lift height it changes. I add my rear box scraper to my 3 point hitch when lifting heavy loads of gravel YMMV

Reactions: 1 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
You’ll definitely be cutting it pretty close for the safety police depending on how for out from the pivot point your lifting. As mentioned above ground level or slopes will have a part in it also. I think ballast weight is always a good idea. Ballast box might be worth considering. If you’ve already got the bracket to support the suitcase weights and can get them somewhat affordable then it would be a no brainer for me. Anything hanging off the back would help. If I even slightly wonder about the weight of a load or job then I’m putting my ballast weight on the rear.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you have a heavy something or other to put on the 3 point (boxblade, disc harrow, chipper, etc.) I’d just ballast it with a heavy 3 point implement. If you don’t have space limitations, a bush hog often works well because it hangs way off the back (more leverage) and has a flat deck so if you need more weight you can set concrete blocks, scrap metal, or other heavy stuff on it to add weight for nominal to no cost. If you use a bush hog with added weight just have to make sure it can’t slide off.

Obviously, if this is something you might be doing often, a weight box would be a better long term option. If it’s just a one off type thing, the functionality of a weight box may not justify the cost.

Loaded rear tires and a boxblade are usually enough ballast to max out the loader on mine without getting it unstable but occasionally, when more ballast is needed, the chipper does the trick.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think the members above got it right.

Personally I use my forks more than any other implement. I would not be without them.

do you use the loader/bucket much now? Are you ballasting in those cases if getting. Full bucket or dirt or gravel or whatever?

If you plan to use I think it makes sense to consider proper ballast if you don’t have other implements. (Owners manual probably makes some suggestion…I would suspect as much as 300lbs or more would not be unreasonable, but check manual or see what other owners of same machine have experience with…I don’t have that model and I am not certain enough to say recommended amount)

If it is one time or occasional use, I bet a friendly neighbor would do for free or a beer at most….at least I would for my good neighbors. If they have a tractor they very likely have forks and other implements. If you buy them then there is storage…if not using it takes space and have to step around.

if not normally lifting heavy objects / comfortable with that function, I’d recommend practice dropping the loader in the case of a fail and get familiar with the effort to the stick to drop it…in case you ever feel it tipping, if could come in handy.

I think after you get a set of forks you will find more uses for them than you imagined.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
The first time a rear tire comes off the ground and the tractor you are sitting on leans heavily to one side, and you soil your undies you'd pay just about anything to have "SOMETHING" as rear ballast on the 3-point. Ask me how I know.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Are the rear tires fluid filled? If so, that will likely deal with 500 lbs.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
I always have a Kubota ballast box on the 3PH if there isn't an implement on. It's between 500-600#s. You definitely don't want to overload the front axle. More ballast is always better than no ballast! The backhoe is around 750#, so I think I have a good ballast weight.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
The first time a rear tire comes off the ground and the tractor you are sitting on leans heavily to one side, and you soil your undies you'd pay just about anything to have "SOMETHING" as rear ballast on the 3-point. Ask me how I know.
That's debatable lol, but the art of 3 wheeling is not for all.of us 😅 I imagine if my tractor was bigger my opinion may also be

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible alternative.....
3PH 'carryall'

if you're just 'moving' the dust collector at ground level, the carryall will easily do it.

if you need to lift it high, then pallet forks but you'll need 'ballast'. Again, 3PH carryall might be an option instead of suitcase weights or ballast box. Might be cheaper,easier to install/remove, great for moving skids full of heavy stuff here,there,everywhere....

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
I woulda go with a carryall or making your own ballast barrel. Carryall will be real nice as you can use it like a ballast and load it up wit’s whatever or just use it to transport stuff. I went the ballast barrel route. 55 gallon plastic barrel with a drawbar from tsc and some angle iron welded on for top link. I used 11 or 12 bags of 50lb or 60lb concrete but you could really use sand, gravel, or dirt if you didn’t want it to be permanent. I’ve seen people fill it up with brake rotors as well. I don’t know if you need that much weight though on a b. I had my rear left tire pop up lifting something with a box blade on the back, so now anytime I’m lifting I’ll put the barrel on.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
If you have any rear implement, you can throw stuff on it to add weight. With my B2301, I sometimes added sand bags from the back of my truck to the rear blade for some extra ballast while lifting something that pushed the tractors limits. I was too cheap to buy suitcase weights for an occasional task.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My BB1560 box blade is all that's needed to keep the rear wheels solidly planted when the forks are lifting the max load that the hydraulics can lift.

And with that maximum load 6-8" off the ground it's in a low trans range, mid-high engine rpm, slow speed, 4x4 engaged ride moving it around.

Plus my tires are NOT filled.

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
I own a B2601.
I am considering buying pallet forks, Land and Pride, PFL1242, $980.00.
The forks are 250 pounds. The air dust collection system I want to pick up is 300 pounds.
Do I need to purchase suit case weights? If so how much weight?
thank You for your expertise, it is much appreciated.
Look at the total weights of the PF assembly. That detracts from your lift capacity. I even remove the forks and rig rocks directly to the PF frame in order to increase my lift.

I got the EA PFs for the same price you can get the LP forks, delivered within driving distance. They were the lightest PFs I could find with one of the best fork ratings.

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I got the PFL1242 just after I bought the tractor and have not regretted the decision, also have loaded rear tires but still use ballast when picking up anything heavy, better safe than sorry also keeps the shorts cleaner:D

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Look at the total weights of the PF assembly. That detracts from your lift capacity. I even remove the forks and rig rocks directly to the PF frame in order to increase my lift.

I got the EA PFs for the same price you can get the LP forks, delivered within driving distance. They were the lightest PFs I could find with one of the best fork ratings.
Like this?
IMG_2138.jpeg

Boulder, 1/2 of a Chevy Equinox, about the same thing.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Tractor Operator Rule # 1A, 5.3: Never use your front loader with ANY implement without some form of counterweight or ballast mounted to the 3 point hitch, or to the rear of the tractor in such a form such as: Such item is mounted to a fixed heavy object or otherwise designated as a weight counter balance.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Just spit'ballin here but what about a making/buying a SSQA plate and mount it to the "dust collection system"

You would lose the ability to "shimmy" things around (like I do with my fork tips on occasion), but you could just "quick connect" straight to it and lift it.

Just an idea.

Last edited: