New owner rotary tiller question

Sid Pits

Equipment
L3901,loader,rear cutter,roto tiller
Jul 21, 2018
Perry
I admit I have a grand total of 13 hours experience with a tractor,so if everyone knows this but me I still don't feel stupid.
Using a Land Pride rotary cutter I hit an IUO(item of unknown origin) and the cutter started vibrating rather hard.Immediately stopped,waited for the blades to quit spinning and looked underneath when I realized I didn't know what I was looking for.Everything appeared okay I guess when I noticed the blades both stick straight out and I think when I looked previously they were parallel
Question is,are the blades supposed to be parallel as I seem to remember,or opposite each other as they look today?
I stopped what I was doing and figure caution is better than ignorant persistence with a tractor.
Thanks in advance,and remember we all started at some time.My time was just very recent.

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
I too just bought a new rotorary cutter with my new purchase of a bx2380. I tried it out for the first time and got a vibration when I got into some thick vegetation. What I found was that the blades swung inward and we're kinda sticky. In other words, they were really tight. I fired it back up and it smoothed out nicely. That could be what is going on in your case. Some more use will loosen things up a bit and could be a part of you breaking it in.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
And I am assuming that you meant a bush hog mower and not a rototiller from your post.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The blades will stick out as u say when it starts to spin,they should pivot freely on the center hub,I’ve used wd40 to free them up,spray where the pin holds the blades to the hub,also make sure the hub didn’t get bent not allowing them to move free

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Another thing I do when bush hogging in unknown areas it keep the bucket rolled all the way back and keep it almost all the way down on the ground,helps to find objects on the ground before you hit them with the mower

Cglaza

Equipment
L2500DT, BX2380, G6200H
Aug 30, 2015
Freeland, mi
That's a great idea
Another thing I do when bush hogging in unknown areas it keep the bucket rolled all the way back and keep it almost all the way down on the ground,helps to find objects on the ground before you hit them with the mower

Sid Pits

Equipment
L3901,loader,rear cutter,roto tiller
Jul 21, 2018
Perry
Thank you,gentlemen,for the feedback.Yes,I did indeed refer to a bushhog.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you hit something hard you may have damaged one blade and unbalanced the mower.

No too likely but possible.

Don’t crawl under the mower to look if you raise it on the3 point hitch. It could fall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you hit something hard you may have damaged one blade and unbalanced the mower.

No too likely but possible.

Don’t crawl under the mower to look if you raise it on the3 point hitch. It could fall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I put a jack stand under the back of mine when I raise it on the 3 pt,even with a new tractor any thing can happen

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I hit a stump with mine once and the whole cutter jumped up in the air bout a foot & good vibration for a second. I looked, both blades still on and not bent. Turned it on and smoothed right out. Don’t know if one of my blades or both weren’t slung strait out for a couple seconds from the impact or what during the vibration but that was my best guess. Runs like new still and since then.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
It takes quite a bit to damage them. What is much more likely is that one of the blades doesn't pivot freely.

st8yd

Equipment
2003 L3130 HST, LA513, Pats easy hitch
Dec 11, 2017
central FL
Often you will hit something or raise it up and it will go to vibrating, just drop it back down and it will balance back out.

Mine is a heavy duty one and I run it real hard.

Muddy boots

Equipment
MX5200, grapple, tiller, brush hog, backhoe
Jan 14, 2019
Paw Paw, MI
Did you figure it out? My bet is that one blade was stuck or not spinning and that throws off the balance causing horrible vibration. I usually slide under there and shove the blade with my foot to free it up.... obviously w/ tractor and PTO off.