New or Used?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
stumps ? what sized stumps ? If you leave enough trunk on them, tractor could yank them out..biguns, use a D9, real biguns....a stick of 30%TNT works well..have used all 3 over the years
slow poke way, drill 7 big holes down, fill with diesel, next day fill with 50/50 diesel/gas, light them up, stumps burns all by itself.....yeah, used this as well...

I'll assume 'trees' and not 'grapes' in the orchard ??

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I bought used when I wasn’t really looking. A buddy had a MX5100 that he was happy with after owning a 30 something hp L. A salesman called him about another used MX5100 on the lot, so he called me. I had a need and checked it out. They also had a low hr 5400 that I tried out. It purred like a new machine was immaculate and had a canopy, but was obviously more expensive. The 5100 was in decent shape, didn’t have the filter and was close to my budget, so I signed the papers. Since I’ve owned it, it had a small hydraulic leak at the pump that ya’ll helped me sort out fix. I couldn’t be happier with the investment. Labor saver that starts and runs like a top. I’d say there’s a reason orange is popular and used brings top dollar. My only complaint is the seat coming apart. How can such a sweet machine have a below average seat. My Ford 2000 had a Cadillac seat compared. Good luck with your search. I would also add that my employer has a 30 something hp grand l that has never been treated well, run by cabbages and has spent it’s entire life exposed to the elements. It runs like a top. They are built to last with little to no maintenance and used by people that don’t give a flying f.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have a buddy that lives near you (Kalkaska area) that has an older L (3901?). His property is quite hilly and mostly wooded. He has to be careful of the hills, but otherwise he loves his machine.

I am a "buy it new" type of guy. My philosophy is that for what most people want for their used machine, you can get a new machine for just a few K more; and spread out over time, it amounts to a few buck a month. But there are certainly people out there that love the "thrill of the hunt" for a good deal, and I respect that.

Not me though. Looking for used machines is infuriating. Calling people, playing phone tag, a--holes that make appointments then cancel 5 minutes before the meeting, driving around, trying to figure out if it has been maintained, Haggling over price.....etc....etc. No Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I have bought used things, but I really prefer new.

When Kubota had 0% for 84 months it was a "no brainer" for me. I just called the dealer, told him what I wanted then he emailed me a quote, and about 3 weeks later, some very nice young man showed up with a trailer with lots of orange stuff on it. He unloaded everything, gave me a tutorial, and handed me the keys.

I was "tractor'n" 5 minutes later. No muss, no fuss.

I got mine at Ginops in Hillman. Very nice people to deal with. I see that there is Ginops near you, but I have never dealt with them.

Either way, you still will have a tractor I suppose, so it's all good....Good luck.....(y)

JCConTorch

Equipment
TBD
Feb 17, 2024
WOW! Thank you all for the very useful ideas and opinions. The orchards in my area are all very large commercial cherry orchards, with some vineyards popping up here and there. My land was once a fruit orchard, so I have a lot of pear trees, and a few apple trees. The scrub bushes seem to grow faster than weeds, but are not large nor do they have large stumps, so I think the stump bucket will work without harm...and the visibility is better than facing backward or re-positioning a backhoe every time. I've also got a bad neck, so not able to drive much in reverse in the case of a rear mount blower. I agree completely with the "already a bit used" idea to not worry as I work out my learning bumps and errors, so my next research is on just how much maintenance is needed... it seems a lot of owners don't do much except add fuel and oil, but I've always been very proactive... I have owned 2 airplanes, ...very unforgiving to sloppy ownership, and "your hobby shouldn't kill you"... so I'll take that attitude into the tractor experience. Thank you all

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
WOW! Thank you all for the very useful ideas and opinions. The orchards in my area are all very large commercial cherry orchards, with some vineyards popping up here and there. My land was once a fruit orchard, so I have a lot of pear trees, and a few apple trees. The scrub bushes seem to grow faster than weeds, but are not large nor do they have large stumps, so I think the stump bucket will work without harm...and the visibility is better than facing backward or re-positioning a backhoe every time. I've also got a bad neck, so not able to drive much in reverse in the case of a rear mount blower. I agree completely with the "already a bit used" idea to not worry as I work out my learning bumps and errors, so my next research is on just how much maintenance is needed... it seems a lot of owners don't do much except add fuel and oil, but I've always been very proactive... I have owned 2 airplanes, ...very unforgiving to sloppy ownership, and "your hobby shouldn't kill you"... so I'll take that attitude into the tractor experience. Thank you all

Since I am one of the resident backhoe "nut jobs", I would get the backhoe if I were you.

I call it the "Backhoe Paradox". No one ever needs one, until they get one; Then they can't live without one.

The amount of things you can do with it is really quite impressive.

Honestly I have never used a "stump bucket", but with the ripper tooth on my BH-77, I have become quite good at popping stumps out in a quick hurry, and then you have a backhoe for all your other projects.

They pricey, but worth every penny IMHO.

1708361979221.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The scrub bushes seem to grow faster than weeds, but are not large nor do they have large stumps, so I think the stump bucket will work without harm...and the visibility is better than facing backward or re-positioning a backhoe every time.
Thats why I recommended an excavator...that said if these are brushy type trees with really small stumps then I am sure a stump bucket would be fine.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Since I am one of the resident backhoe "nut jobs", I would get the backhoe if I were you.

I call it the "Backhoe Paradox". No one ever needs one, until they get one; Then they can't live without one.

The amount of things you can do with it is really quite impressive.

Honestly I have never used a "stump bucket", but with the ripper tooth on my BH-77, I have become quite good at popping stumps out in a quick hurry, and then you have a backhoe for all your other projects.

They pricey, but worth every penny IMHO.

View attachment 122684
"I resemble that remark"......being called a backhoe "nut job", ...... I have owned a backhoe for a total of 38 years.
Ford 3400 (dedicated) TLB for 33 years,.... Kubota L48 (dedicated) TLB for 5 years!
Am 83 years old now, and will never sell.
Life is less stressful with a BH!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible option...
say a backhoe on a new tractor adds $10K to the purchase price.....
how many times could you rent a mid or full size excavator for $10K ?
If you premark every stump you need gone, make a map, make a plan, you can make short work of yanking them all out. The 'trick' is to be EFFICIENT. get one loose, claw it free , then MOVE ONTO the next, repeat until done. You should work from sunrise to sunset, tag team with a buddy, machine should always be removing stumps...NO 1/2hr lunches, NO PHONES, just work,work ,work.... You could probably do 4 an hour, maybe 5 ? You just remove stumps out of the ground,NOTHING else !
Tidying up you can do later,dragging stumps to a windrow or burn pile,filling in the craters, making area look 'pretty', when you have FREE time.

Don't do like the neighbour up the road did. Rented a full size excavator9Kubota but green),(amazing....he has ZERO idea HOW to operate one...but a good credit card ), took 2 days to get used to it, and other 2 days to figure stuff out, 1 day for actual work needed.....so cost him 5 days to do 1 days work,that I could've done for him( he never asked ).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
possible option...
say a backhoe on a new tractor adds $10K to the purchase price.....
how many times could you rent a mid or full size excavator for $10K ?
If you premark every stump you need gone, make a map, make a plan, you can make short work of yanking them all out. The 'trick' is to be EFFICIENT. get one loose, claw it free , then MOVE ONTO the next, repeat until done. You should work from sunrise to sunset, tag team with a buddy, machine should always be removing stumps...NO 1/2hr lunches, NO PHONES, just work,work ,work.... You could probably do 4 an hour, maybe 5 ? You just remove stumps out of the ground,NOTHING else !
Tidying up you can do later,dragging stumps to a windrow or burn pile,filling in the craters, making area look 'pretty', when you have FREE time.

Don't do like the neighbour up the road did. Rented a full size excavator9Kubota but green),(amazing....he has ZERO idea HOW to operate one...but a good credit card ), took 2 days to get used to it, and other 2 days to figure stuff out, 1 day for actual work needed.....so cost him 5 days to do 1 days work,that I could've done for him( he never asked ).
Yup....... but the FUN your neighbor had with that "full size excavator", might be defined as PRICELESS !