New or Used?

JCConTorch

Equipment
TBD
Feb 17, 2024
New to the site, considering the orange machine for my very overgrown few acres orchard in northern Michigan, to include stump bucket, no need for mower, maybe a front snow blower if winter ever returns... expect very light use, mostly for fun. New or used? Model? My terrain make 4WD a must. Thanks

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What are the neighboring orchards using?

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
What are the neighboring orchards using?
used b series, most people put so few hours on these tractors its easy to find a older one in excellent shape. For what you're describing I see no need to get a bigger tractor the way most people seem to recommend. They simply aren't as useful in confined spaces, and I would forgo bx series, they really aren't that much smaller.

Reactions: 1 user

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
New to the site, considering the orange machine for my very overgrown few acres orchard in northern Michigan, to include stump bucket, no need for mower, maybe a front snow blower if winter ever returns... expect very light use, mostly for fun. New or used? Model? My terrain make 4WD a must. Thanks
Every area is different. In my area when I bought my MX6000 any thing low hour, clean and nice was as much or more than I paid for a new. Need to check and see what other folks are using in your area. If you want a front snow blower that will enter into what models will be able to have the PTO to run a front snow blower. Good luck and have fun shopping.

P0234

Equipment
BX
Nov 13, 2023
NoVA
Used is great if you buy on condition and maintenance documentation. Risky if you buy on price. Always good to have a mechanic look it over, especially if out of warranty.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Like hedgerow said, in my area the used Kubotas are almost as much as new. I was looking for an L3800DT and most of them were as much as a new L3901DT. The L3800DTs were in the price range of $20,000. I paid $23,324 with FEL and 66" box blade. Went with the new for the warranty and being able to know that the tractor hadn't been mistreated.

This was in Dec of 2014 in Missouri.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Like hedgerow said, in my area the used Kubotas are almost as much as new. I was looking for an L3800DT and most of them were as much as a new L3901DT. The L3800DTs were in the price range of $20,000. I paid $23,324 with FEL and 66" box blade. Went with the new for the warranty and being able to know that the tractor hadn't been mistreated.

This was in Dec of 2014 in Missouri.
Info from TEN years ago?
2024 may be much different?

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
My recent experience was that a used B7510 was 40% of what a new equivalent one lists for. Obviously 'used' encompasses a very wide gamut. I found an 18 year old B, with 1k hours in what seems to be very good, well-maintained condition, from an owner selling for the 'right' reason (downsizing after divorce).

If you go this route, don't be in a hurry, but be ready to make a move when the right one pops up. Good ones are not that common, and sell quickly, at least based on what I saw here in Indiana over the last year or so.

With my old B7100 still going strong at over 3k hours, I'm pretty sure this new one will do for my needs. That said, no guarantees on a used one - if you aren't willing or wanting to take the chance, just buy new and don't look back.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
To me it comes down to money. A used B will probably do the work you need, albeit with some small risk of needing fixing. Taking care when you buy will reduce that risk.

A new Kubota is really nice. Nobody else has beat on it before you beat on it yourself. But they cost more.

So, depends on how much money you have, and how much you'd rather keep that money v's have fun with a shiny new tractor.

For me, for my first tractor, I bought an older and beat upon Kubota. Then I made all my mistakes with that, without feeling too bad. After 2-3 years, I got a new B. I haven't broken anything on it, given my experience from the first one, although I have put a lot of scratches on it. I think that's a good way to go - new tractor owners will always make mistakes (I certainly did), and it's less stressful if that's not on a new and expensive machine.

Chris_

Equipment
2016 BX25, 2017 B2650
Jan 7, 2024
Winnipeg, MB
I've done used on both the tractors I've bought. Saved quite a bit, but I'm also very mechanically inclined to fix little issues.

If you buy used you'll have to get used to the idea of fixing the odd thing to bring it up to standard. My first tractor had 600hrs on it, was always stored inside and maintained at the dealer. When I bought it there was nothing needed to fix.

My second, had only 250 hours on it but was stored outside and the previous owner did little maintainance so I picked it up and had to replace a few hoses and bushings and grease it up. Also refreshed the paint. But other than that it's running fine.

As noted above, be patient and the right deal will come along. It helps to have the cash or access to the cash - you won't be able to easily finance a used purchase from the guy down the street. If you need to finance, you're better off going with a new one.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Get a cab. Stump bucket is a mistake. You can easily tear up your FEL. Consider renting a large excavator/bull dozer to take out the stumps in short order if you want to plant anything in that area.

Front blower make sure you get mid PTO (its not offered on many larger tractors). They are also very expensive...like 3-4x the cost of a rear new so see if you can find used. Most also have a subframe mount that has to be put on and off as needed. Its kind of a pain. For these reasons I went with a rear blower and got some cameras.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Good luck with finding a used (sub)compact K in good condition, without a finding new one competing on price.
I looked for a couple years before giving up trying to find what I needed in used, as the new costs weren't much more.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Good luck with finding a used (sub)compact K in good condition, without a finding new one competing on price.
I looked for a couple years before giving up trying to find what I needed in used, as the new costs weren't much more.
It likely is a lot more difficult to find a good used Kubota North of the 49th parallel.
Ten times the population South, would logically suggest possibly 10 times as many used Kubotas available.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
It likely is a lot more difficult to find a good used Kubota North of the 49th parallel.
Ten times the population South, would logically suggest possibly 10 times as many used Kubotas available.
True, yet would not 10x the # available be offset by 10x the population shopping for those used machines?
We've had Kubotas up here for decades, too!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
What kind of 'few acres of orchards' ? is kinda important. Xmas trees, apples, pears, grapes ?? Depending on the crop,different implements are needed.
See what others are using, what brand dealers are nearby. Fast,reliable service is key to make an 'orchard' sucessful
No soft fruits anymore near me,just apples and grapes.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Used. I found my b8200 at Rosy Brothers. Look state wide. Btw, Rosy will deliver anywhere in Michigan.

Here is one on marketplace:

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
True, yet would not 10x the # available be offset by 10x the population shopping for those used machines?
We've had Kubotas up here for decades, too!
Probably not really proportional, as more large cities in the USA, with city folk having zero tractors, and believing that eggs actually come from a supermarket.
Then too: If USA cities had Kubotas, they would likely all be stolen within a few weeks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Get a cab. Stump bucket is a mistake. You can easily tear up your FEL. …
Can you expand on how a stump bucket will easily tear up a FEL..?

A grapple…used inappropriately…with a long/wide unbalanced load….Yes. But a stump-bucket..? How?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Can you expand on how a stump bucket will easily tear up a FEL..?

A grapple…used inappropriately…with a long/wide unbalanced load….Yes. But a stump-bucket..? How?
Stump buckets are designed for skid steers...that have a loader arm that sits on the frame when lowered. So when you go into a stump, you have a brace for the forces.

Tractor FEL has no such bracing, so all forces are put on the FEL arms that are freely suspended. Not a good combination. I have seen more than one FEL that was bent. Sure you can be careful...but you are pulling a stump!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Stump buckets are designed for skid steers...that have a loader arm that sits on the frame when lowered. So when you go into a stump, you have a brace for the forces.

Tractor FEL has no such bracing, so all forces are put on the FEL arms that are freely suspended. Not a good combination. I have seen more than one FEL that was bent. Sure you can be careful...but you are pulling a stump!
A backhoe, or better yet.......mini-ex for stumps