New MX5400 Problem

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I just took delivery of my new MX5400 last Thursday. I was driving it to the shed this afternoon and it died like I shut the switch off. It has 7hr on it. An E-20 error code is displayed on the dash. The owner’s manual classifies E20 error code as a “communicatio problem“ Pretty broad diagnosis. Any ideas?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Great, you must of got a female tractor.............. :D :D

Reactions: 8 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
i would check connections first if it were me. Then if that fails call dealer that delivered it.
I called the dealer and they are sending a serviceman in the morning. A loose nut or chipped paint I expected with a new machine. An electronic fault is a bit more concerning. I wondered if anyone else had ever experienced that error code.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I called the dealer and they are sending a serviceman in the morning. A loose nut or chipped paint I expected with a new machine. An electronic fault is a bit more concerning. I wondered if anyone else had ever experienced that error code.
Unrelated, but have you checked your front axle fluid? Don't ask me why. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
BA76, As a new MX5400 owner, I am wondering if you discovered the problem?
I have ordered the service manual for my machine.
I have been getting the random water in fuel light and buzzer. I have drained the separator into a glass to verify water and I have never gotten any.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
T4 final electronic whiz bang tractors almost all seem to have issues of one kind or another.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
BA76, As a new MX5400 owner, I am wondering if you discovered the problem?
I have ordered the service manual for my machine.
I have been getting the random water in fuel light and buzzer. I have drained the separator into a glass to verify water and I have never gotten any.
Good morning swpflipper. I have not found the cause of the fuse blowing. That happened with 7hrs on the tractor. I now have 21 and it hasn’t happened again. It was the 5amp fuse marked “Main ECU” I’ve tried replicating the condition when it blew originally and everything seems ok. I do keep extra fuses in the toolbox now tho. Experienced my first regen yesterday. That went well. Just as described in the owners manual. 👍🏼

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
T4 final electronic whiz bang tractors almost all seem to have issues of one kind or another.
a lot like new cars

when you add complexity you increase the odds of problems

one reason I still drive a 25 year old car that has rotton paint leaky windows poor a/c poor heater 3 different colored body parts, ratty interior, stinks, smokes, generally a pile of junk and as of today a hole in the rusty floorboard....but it's paid for, and I can fix it with a crescent wrench and a hammer, or if it's too bad, a match and gasoline and go get another $400 antique car to replace it with

there is a possibility that the fuse failed because it was labeled improperly I had seen a few of them this past summer. Fuse would "blow" at 5A but had a 20 on the top of it, with a tiny "filament" inside of it. I think they may have had a few bad ones get installed. Maybe that's all it was.

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
one reason I still drive a 25 year old car that has rotton paint leaky windows poor a/c poor heater 3 different colored body parts, ratty interior, stinks, smokes, generally a pile of junk and as of today a hole in the rusty floorboard....but it's paid for, and I can fix it with a crescent wrench and a hammer, or if it's too bad, a match and gasoline and go get another $400 antique car to replace it with

New compared to my 1997 Ford F350 4x4 diesel pickup truck and no emissions on it either. It did come with a crude egr system that fed blowby back into the turbo inlet but that left to. It now has a road draft tube.... I like it. Can tell by the smell of the blowby when the oil needs changed.

I despise smog engines in general, gas or otherwise.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
My dealer said that when my tractor goes in to have the rear hydraulic block installed they would put their computer on it and try and pinpoint the fault that occurred. Even tho it hasn’t happened again, I would still like to know the cause.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
a lot like new cars

when you add complexity you increase the odds of problems

New compared to my 1997 Ford F350 4x4 diesel pickup truck and no emissions on it either. It did come with a crude egr system that fed blowby back into the turbo inlet but that left to. It now has a road draft tube.... I like it. Can tell by the smell of the blowby when the oil needs changed.

I despise smog engines in general, gas or otherwise.

well my car (daily driver, 1993) is the ugly duckling but dirt cheap and easy to fix. I gotta put a heater core in it soon and not really looking forward to it but it's not the worst job I've ever done. My truck is a little newer. 2003. 7.3. Wouldn't have bought a diesel but it was there, on the lot, and the F150 I had was a 100% straight across trade for it so I owed nothing. And the collector car (92 mustang) is there screaming "drive me" but at 750hp it doesn't drive all that great on the streets. Natural aspiration 552" BBF as of right now, and I've just recently been offered to buy the engine for a chunk of change which I might do and put an EFI small block in it.

something that bothers me about new stuff is that the electronic systems log everything you do. I don't like the idea.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Arguably, the 7.3 IDI turbo diesel is the best diesel engine that was ever produced for a light-medium duty pickup truck, especially the earlier ones like mine with forged rods. The later ones had sintered rods and they won't take increasing power all that well. I have the full Gale Banks kit on mine including the turbo and the quick spool impeller. Not as quick as the newest ones but it's a simple motor. I had a naturally aspirated 6.2 prior to it and it was a dog and hard to start in the winter. Not that I drive mine in the winter anyway. It sleeps all winter in the garage.

Don't like the data logging part on new stuff either but it is amazing what you can extract from an ECM with the right scan tool

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My dealer said that when my tractor goes in to have the rear hydraulic block installed they would put their computer on it and try and pinpoint the fault that occurred. Even tho it hasn’t happened again, I would still like to know the cause.
If it's a hard fault the event will be in the ECM and can be extracted with the Digimaster scan tool.

for earth for life?

Equipment
MX4800
Jun 9, 2020
U.P MI
I took delivery of my MX5400 last october and have less than 50 hours on it and the exact same issue occurred. Went dead on field and displayed E-20 error message. Dealer is trying diagnose the problem. It would be greatly appreciated if you could bring me up to date on how your issue was fixed.

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I took delivery of my MX5400 last october and have less than 50 hours on it and the exact same issue occurred. Went dead on field and displayed E-20 error message. Dealer is trying diagnose the problem. It would be greatly appreciated if you could bring me up to date on how your issue was fixed.
Sorry for the delayed reply. I do not check the forum as often as I should. Unfortunately I don't have much helpful information to share with you. My problem was fixed by replacing a blown fuse. I was told to monitor the tractor and report any further problems. It never did it again! I bought spare fuses and threw them in the toolbox as insurance. They are still in there. I guess the best advice I can give you is buy spare fuses and put them in that massive secure toolbox and you will be good to go. ;-) My MX5400 has 130 hours on it and has been bullet proof since that one isolated incident. I simply love my tractor and feel very secure and confident that it will not let me down out on a job. Good luck.