New member from Montana

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Congrats and welcome. I have a new Mx5400 and absolutely love it. Amazingly powerful. You might consider getting the rear tires filled with liquid for weight.

Thanks for the welcome. The dealer has or will install some form of ballast in the rear tires. I just noticed that it states "bucket hooks" on the invoice ... duh! I should pay more attention.

*BALLAST IN REAR TIRES, ENGINE BLOCK HEATER,
BUCKET HOOKS, TOP ALL FLUIDS, MANUALS, DELIVERY*

I forgot to order a quick-hitch with the tractor so will pick up a QH10 in the next few weeks. I won't need it until the spring but would like to get one sooner rather than later.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The MX was delivered yesterday! :D I wish it were a bit warmer (currently -12F at my house) so that I could take it for a spin. I hope we get a lot of snow over the next couple of months, but regardless, I'll never again have to listen to the awful sound of gravel running through the snow blower.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Oh, and the MX is already Great Pyrenees and Heeler approved! 😂 The Pyrenees is very observant and proceeded to inspect the tractor as soon as I let them out of the house. It's already on her list of things to guard.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A bit of an update. I've put a few hours on the MX now pushing snow and it's a beast for sure, and markedly more comfortable in the seat than the BX. The top-n-tilt kit, two rear remotes, hoses/fittings and armrests arrived this week so the dealer is picking the tractor up on Monday to complete the installation.

On a slightly different but related subject, I've been thinking about buying a flatbed trailer for the last couple of years for my Jeep and BX25D. I've transported the BX in my 16ft PJ dump trailer a few times and it's less than ideal. I've always found that procrastination pays off and today was no exception.

I was all set to buy a 16ft PJ flatbed trailer (10K GVWR) a few months ago which would have worked for the Jeep and BX but decided to wait until this coming spring. I regularly look on Craigslist and the local dealer's website to see what trailers are available and last week saw a very lightly used MIDSOTA NOVA ET 22ft 15.5K GVWR trailer for sale at the dealership where I bought the PJ trailer a couple of years ago. This morning I measured the MX and realized that I couldn't transport it with the dump trailer, either with the snow blade or rear blade attached, or even just the front bucket. This used MIDSOTA seemed to be ideal so I stopped by the dealer this morning to take a closer look. In addition to being pristine and virtually brand new (used four times), it had the optional contractor's package and tool box installed. I was able to go to the bank to pick up a cashier's check and then get back to the dealer before they closed. Had I bought a 16ft trailer a few months ago, which would have cost more than this trailer, I'd be kicking myself right now.

Yep, procrastination is a good thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Wow, me thinks that you knocked the ball out of the park with that deal. I say Congratulations !!! (y)

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Wow, me thinks that you knocked the ball out of the park with that deal. I say Congratulations !!! (y)
Thanks! It's hard to find out what the trailer cost new but based on what I've found on the internet I think I got a decent deal and probably saved $1,000 or so, and close to $2,000 compared to an equivalent new PJ. The dealer was selling the MIDSOTA on consignment and told me that they're impressed enough to want to become a MIDSOTA dealer. Most of their sales are PJ and Felling. I'm very impressed with the build quality and no doubt will make good use of this trailer for years to come.

I'll weld on some D-rings this spring as well as figure out a spare wheel/tire and carrier.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Patience can pay off!! I’ve was watching trailers For over 6 months before I got mine.. same idea, it was on the dealer website and I had to go there to see about the snow blower. Bought it that day.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The dealer picked up the MX yesterday morning to install the top-n-tilt, two rear remotes and armrests. They returned it early this morning. I love this tractor and realizing how much it's capable of I ordered a 60" Wicked Root Rake Grapple from EverythingAttachments.com. It won't be here for 3 months or so but I have a lot of work lined up for it. Here's an early morning photo of the BX behind the MX like a baby elephant behind its mum. :LOL:

I'm supposed to put the three month wait to good use by upgrading the front end protection for use with a grapple. This will be a fun upgrade!

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A bit of an update on the MX. I have about 20 hours on it now, much of that spent repairing the 200 yard common driveway. I will say without a doubt that this is an AWESOME tractor! I could never really get much done to the driveway with the BX due to the lack of weight but this beast does an amazing job of grading, moving rocks etc.

The dealer just installed a third rear remote and I bought a rotary cutter, grapple and box blade so I think I'm done for quite a while. I just need to make a front grill before the grapple shows up and maybe add some LED lights.

For anyone considering an MX I would certainly recommend the model. The 6000 is so much more than I thought it would be and I look forward to using and maintaining it for many years to come. I do have one complaint though and it's the HST pedal. I don't like the design at all and find that I have to hook my toes under the pedal and lift up for reverse. Maybe Japanese feet are small and it works for them! I'm thinking about modifying the pedal but will put more hours in before I commit to doing that.

I'm definitely keeping the BX too since it's useful for so many projects whether it's digging a trench, mowing around the house, blowing snow, pulling a trailer or getting into spots where the MX can't fit.

Here's the amazing MX6000 with the latest attachment.

7.jpg

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Welcome to the Forum. If I upgrade my B3200, I'm thinking about the MX but the cab model

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Welcome to the Forum. If I upgrade my B3200, I'm thinking about the MX but the cab model
I went back and forth on this but ultimately decided against a cab. I based my decision on the following:

• The cab adds about $7,000 to the cost of the tractor
  • The winters aren't that cold and the summers aren't that hot up here
  • I'm on and off the tractor so much that a cab would be an annoyance
  • I can see and hear better without the cab so feel like I have more control/feel over implements
  • The cab adds height which affects storage options
  • HVAC adds complexity and maintenance issues
  • Cab adds significant weight
  • Cab raises center of gravity
All that said, if money were no object I'd probably have one of each! I will add that the cab model looks absolutely amazing and more like a farm tractor rather than a home tractor. Whichever MX you buy it's all good.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
An update on the MX. I have a little over 31 hours on it now and have nothing to say but good things about it ... mostly. It's already proven to be a game changer for me and the maintenance of the property.

The tractor decided to do a regen today at just over 30 hours and I screwed it up for sure. I should have been utterly familiar with the process but the cryptic instructions on the fender had me all confused. I hope I haven't done any damage given the horrifying comments in the manual re messing up the regen. I have to admit that I wish these tractors didn't have DPF and the need for regen and think it's kind of ridiculous when there are much bigger issues in terms of pollution than a bunch of folks putting 100 hours or less on their tractor each year. Regardless, it's an awesome tractor that I have zero regrets purchasing. Pair it with quality implements and it's amazing.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm definitely keeping the BX too since it's useful for so many projects whether it's digging a trench, mowing around the house, blowing snow, pulling a trailer or getting into spots where the MX can't fit.
Well so much for that statement. I have mixed feelings about this but I decided to sell the BX and it was picked up this afternoon. I had an offer for the tractor and all of the attachments with the exception of the 55 gallon sprayer and it was fair. Part of me didn't want to give it up but part of me knows that this is the right move. Almost $20k in the bank and a significant reduction in implements that have become redundant now that I have the MX made a lot of sense. This winter I'll be pushing snow rather than blowing it but that's ok.

I was also able to get a complete refund (~$1k) for the snow blower hydraulic chute kit and impeller that I bought recently. I'm pleased about that.

bx_01.jpg

bx_02.jpg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
mcmxi -
When I have to haul mine with the bucket up like that, I take a piece of thick carpet wider then the FEL arms, fold it over 2, 3, or 4 times, nap side out, put it between the arms & the top of the tailgate, (ramp) drop the fel on to it, and tie it down with ratchet straps. FEL is tied down, (cops stay happy) and nothing gets scratched or beat up.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi -
When I have to haul mine with the bucket up like that, I take a piece of thick carpet wider then the FEL arms, fold it over 2, 3, or 4 times, nap side out, put it between the arms & the top of the tailgate, (ramp) drop the fel on to it, and tie it down with ratchet straps. FEL is tied down, (cops stay happy) and nothing gets scratched or beat up.
I helped the buyer load all the implements onto his trailer but let him do whatever he wanted once he gave me the cashier's check. He was only driving a few miles home so wasn't too worried. He planned on stopping at the end of the gravel road below me to check that everything was still secure.