New member-commercial use tractor/equipment question.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Hi all, after reading some interesting threads I decided to join. Glad to be here!
I bought an L3010 HST 4wd (and implements) back in '01 to use on my property and farm. It worked very well and got a lot of work done. About 5 yrs ago I started a tractor service company doing work mowing, earthwork, harrowing, etc. Most jobs were small at first, but gradually grew as time went by. This past year I've gotten mowing jobs as large as 40 acres, which takes forever with this tractor and 5' LP mower.
After a lot of thought and test driving different tractors, last week I pulled the trigger on a new M5140 (hydraulic shuttle/4wd), FEL LA1153, a LandPride RCF2072, and a Big Tex 20' 14k tilt trailer. Is there anyone out there using this tractor on a commercial basis? I average 15-20 hrs a week on the tractor mostly doing pasture mowing at times in very heavy bahia grass which grows 4" a week here in Florida! I think I made a good decision on the equipment, but would like to hear some thoughts especially from someone who's put a lot of hours on this tractor.
Thanks for any and all comments!
Mark

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
The L and M tractors are good commercial use machines, however the M is that much larger and built for continuous use like farming or other uses like logging or mowing. You can easily put the hours on your new M....just remember to service it according to Kubota recommendations and use Kubota trans fluid (SUDT2).

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
When you're due for a change in your L or M, go to the SUDT2 which is actually only a bit more expensive than regular UDT (at my local dealer at least). Its synthetic which is far better than regular UDT at wear resistance and temperature protection. My HST on my B9200 (25+yrs old) and my dads L48 quieted down significantly when we went from UDT to SUDT2. I also noticed my hydraulics run cooler and the tractor can climb hills in high range that it couldn't do with regular UDT...so there is a viscosity/pumping improvement there as well.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
When you're due for a change in your L or M, go to the SUDT2 which is actually only a bit more expensive than regular UDT (at my local dealer at least). Its synthetic which is far better than regular UDT at wear resistance and temperature protection. My HST on my B9200 (25+yrs old) and my dads L48 quieted down significantly when we went from UDT to SUDT2. I also noticed my hydraulics run cooler and the tractor can climb hills in high range that it couldn't do with regular UDT...so there is a viscosity/pumping improvement there as well.

Bill, I cant wait to change the oil in mine (13 MONTHS OLD) - I hope it adds a little getty up in the step! AND make is it quiet too!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
These Kubotas will take anything you throw at them within reason. Now that being said some people can break an anvil given the chance.

Know the limits of the tractor and dont treat it as a bulldozer she'll last for years.

My dad has an L275 thats 30ish years old and used it in the landscape biz and it still works and runs today just fine.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I agree Eric. The L3010 I've had for 13 yrs has been a champ. The only reason I'm getting the new machine is it's too small to finish my larger jobs in a reasonable amount of time. The drivetrain has been flawless. The only troubles I've had are from the peripherals; the tach broke (@ 800 hrs), the glow plug relays (@500 hrs), the sensor that alerts the driver that there's a leak in the air intake system, and recently the fuel shut off solenoid. I'll take those problems with a great drive train any day.