New Lx2610 rust

DomG

Equipment
LX2610hsd/535FEL/BH77/PFL1242/BB1260 -- Toro Zero Turn
Oct 19, 2023
Alberta Canada
Good Morning received my new LX2610 the other day! while looking around Yesterday morning to familiarize myself with everything i noted rust of the top front of the motor and on the bottom pulley. how normal is either of these on a new Tractor? I've looked everywhere else and don't see rust or anything and super clear otherwise.

I have some wd40 and some rust inhibitor think that would be safe for the motor portion. but for the rust insider the pulley fear that could damage the belt.

any advise suggestion etc. and yes reached out to the dealer on this as well.

Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I wouldn't worry about it. That is just a bit of surface rust on cast parts, likely from sitting outside. If it bothers you, hit it with a wire brush then spray it with some Rustoleum primer.

Last edited:

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
Good Morning received my new LX2610 the other day! while looking around Yesterday morning to familiarize myself with everything i noted rust of the top front of the motor and on the bottom pulley. how normal is either of these on a new Tractor? I've looked everywhere else and don't see rust or anything and super clear otherwise.

I have some wd40 and some rust inhibitor think that would be safe for the motor portion. but for the rust insider the pulley fear that could damage the belt.

any advise suggestion etc. and yes reached out to the dealer on this as well.

Thanks in Advance.
The belt shouldn't be running that far down on the pulley anyway unless its pretty worn.

Warrior67

Sep 22, 2019
Ohio
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. The rust on the pulley will get polished off as you run the tractor. Like others have said a little spray paint on the block and you’ll never know it was there.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
he'll ALWAYS KNOWS it was there......:(
Big problem is what happens when you BURY the tractor in a mud bog and it actually get DIRTY ??:):)

if you can though, a real waxing with good product will keep it looking nice for a few more days.
also, be sure to clean the Zerks before you add grease !

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
It's normal.

Reactions: 1 user

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
You can if you want get a can of the Kubota Gray paint from the dealer to paint those spots if it's a concern. I got a can to paint the tie down hooks and the top & tilt cylinders I made a couple of years ago. The paint is still holding up really well on them.

DomG

Equipment
Oct 19, 2023
Alberta Canada
thanks everyone. First time tractor owner. so wasn't sure and figured best to ask. already cleared an acre of small trees and bushes!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Call the dealer and ask if the "Kubota 7/70 Corrosion Warranty" would cover that.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
A spray can of gray paint from the dealer here in Ontario is around $60 with tax. I just took part of my 3 ph for color match to an automotive paint supplier for less than half the cost.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A simple solution for surface rust is The Must For Rust, it is cheap and effective. Spray or brush it on the rusty area, and it will remove the rust. It may take a couple of applications, but no further effort is required. You just leave it, and it will not harm other surfaces/paint. It leaves behind a protective coating, but you can grease/paint over it.

OSPHO is perhaps even better!
It is Phosphoric Acid..... available at hardware stores, and marine supply places.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
OSPHO is perhaps even better!
It is Phosphoric Acid..... available at hardware stores, and marine supply places.
Whenever I mention The Must For Rust, it is suggested to just buy phosphoric acid (a primary ingredient), and you could. However, you might have to mix/cut your phosphoric acid to make it as easy to handle as The Must For Rust, and the same applies to potential damage to other surfaces. Additionally, The Must For Rust has other additives that help form the residual protective coating/film.

Last, The Must For Rust is so cheap and goes a long way; it would be more trouble than its worth to literally save $5-10 a year buying straight phosphoric acid - unless you are treating lots and lots of metal. The Must For Rust is available at Wal-Mart, HD, Lowes and etc.

EDIT: I did not realize OSPHO is a similar product. I have never used or seen it for sale, but it could be great too.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Whenever I mention The Must For Rust, it is suggested to just buy phosphoric acid (a primary ingredient), and you could. However, you might have to mix/cut your phosphoric acid to make it as easy to handle as The Must For Rust, and the same applies to potential damage to other surfaces. Additionally, The Must For Rust has other additives that help form the residual protective coating/film.

Last, The Must For Rust is so cheap and goes a long way; it would be more trouble than its worth to literally save $5-10 a year buying straight phosphoric acid - unless you are treating lots and lots of metal. The Must For Rust is available at Wal-Mart, HD, Lowes and etc.

EDIT: I did not realize OSPHO is a similar product. I have never used or seen it for sale, but it could be great too.
OSPHO is quite inexpensive, currently listed on ACE hardware website at $29.99 per GALLON (or $18.99 per Qt.)

Last edited:

DomG

Equipment
Oct 19, 2023
Alberta Canada
Call the dealer and ask if the "Kubota 7/70 Corrosion Warranty" would cover that.
Dealer is getting me a can of paint to match and keeping an eye on the pulley and noted it on file in case it becomes an issue down the road, along with giving me an extra belt.

Thanks

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Dealer is getting me a can of paint to match and keeping an eye on the pulley and noted it on file in case it becomes an issue down the road, along with giving me an extra belt.

Thanks
Now that is a dealer that cares. Mine gave me a can of orange after I mentioned that there was some bare metal from the sub frame installation.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Thanks
hahahah....Wow...I was just joking and forgot to insert the laughing face emoji on my post.....

But hey, I guess you never know....LOL :LOL: