New life for old NiCad batteries?

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I heard about this on a welding forum. Battery packs from cordless power tools can be zapped back to life with a DC welder. Ever the sceptic, I thought yeah sure, another Internet legend with no truth behind it, but there were enough guys claiming it worked and what the heck, I had nothing to lose. I have a DeWalt 14.4 v cordless drill and driver with 3 dead defunct batteries that would not take a charge. The theory is something about "dendritic failure" or sump'n where these micro chrystaline dendrites or bridges form internally and eventually they short out and a blast of amps from a DC welder supposedly fries these dendrites and restores the battery at least partially.
My wife begged me not to try it, said I would blow myself up or something worse (huh?) so I decided to try it. I cranked up my Miller arc welder to about 90 amps and hooked up a set of battery jumper cables to the posts on a battery pack. Neg welder to neg battery post and put a stub electrode in the stinger from positive, donned my sexy speedglass helmet and "popped" the rod on the positive side 3 times. I'll be darned, it worked. All 3 batteries were able to be charged but one went back to fault mode before fully charging. The other 2 are working fine! For how long I don't know but hey, it's more than I had! I might zap the other one again or just get rid of it if it doesn't take but I thought some of you might have a dead cordless NiCad sitting around and want to try it. I used needle nose vice grips to the battery posts and clamped onto them. The 6g jumper cables got me 10 feet away from the battery but nothing bad happened.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you go to Youtube there is a bunch of videos showing all sorts of differnt ways to revive a dead battery like that...

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Great. So are you saying I'm the last person to "discover" this?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
nope that would be me, as soon as I can find a welder or somebody with a welder that's got the bawls to do it for me, I ll let ya know:rolleyes:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
... or something worse (huh?)...
Don't ask her, it will be a bad day for you. :cool:

Last time I had the NiCad's used up, I opened the case and placed in new one's from an internet-shop. They were smaller but had more Ah.
Nowadays it is Lithium and the new tools are sooooo much better then the old stuff.

As an electronic guy I would not do such things unless I would live off the grid and love to take a risk. I have seen to many things with unhappy batteries.. But the trick with the welder is a good one when you have no other option.

Thanx for sharing

carl

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Well, one week later and one battery pack seems to be charging and working pretty well, one is taking but not holding a charge, and one is dead with nothing. Maybe there is no magic after all. Next, somebody will tell me there is no Santa Clause...
Might have been more fun if they did explode!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
There is alot of things that don't exist. Like the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Tooth Fair, Sand Man, Big Foot, Lockness Monster. The ballsier choice God....

Do you ever get the feeling you've been lied too all your childhood?