New L2501 Quick Hitch Question

X-Pup

Equipment
L2501, 526 Loader W/QC LP RCF2060 Cutter, BB 1260-82, 3RD Function, top&Tilt
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
Hi everyone! New kid here, although I've been lurking on the forum for a while now. (~2yrs)

I just pulled the trigger on a new, soon to be delivered L2501 with QC loader, 3rd function and 2 remotes with top&tilt.

I've been scouring the forum for information on quick hitches and seriously thinking I'm going to go with Pat's QH.

The question I have is, do I go with CAT1-2, or CAT1-1?

So far I'm only getting LP attachment's, box blade BB1260-82 and rotary cutter RCF-2060. I'm assuming these are CAT1?

I will eventually be parking it next to my neighbor who has 10-15 attachment's I could borrow almost any time. Mostly land pride. His Kubota tractors (3+) run up to L3901ish in size.

Am I safe in assuming my LP attachments are going to be CAT1?

Are "most" attachments purchased for a tractor in this size range going to be CAT1?

My thinking is, if I go with CAT1-1, am I going to regret not getting CAT1-2 later?

Although they're not that pricey, I would like to avoid having to get bushings for most of what I run just for the sake of compatibility. I'm thinking I will be able to run my own attachments without needing them.

Is my thinking flawed?

Sight unseen to this point, I have no Idea yet what I'm going to need for top link connections?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
For a L2501, you need cat 1-1. Your tractor couldn’t handle cat2 implements.

Reactions: 2 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Waiting on my Pat's QH to arrive any day now. Hopefully today is the day!

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes only Cat 1 on that tractor, Cat 2 Implements weight too much and are too big.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When buying something you’ve not yet seen….don’t “assume” ANYthing. Ask the seller, get the answer in writing, (and get pics if possible.)

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
.....I've been scouring the forum for information on quick hitches and seriously thinking I'm going to go with Pat's QH....

....I have no Idea yet what I'm going to need for top link connections?...
So, I hope your dealer ordered your top link with Pat's quick hitch in mind since your top link will need to be 4" longer....

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So, I hope your dealer ordered your top link with Pat's quick hitch in mind since your top link will need to be 4" longer....
Yep. If not you can buy a replacement top link at TSC. I had to buy a longer one when I added Pat’s to my previous tractor. If he hasn’t received the tractor yet, maybe the dealer will swap it out?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hi everyone! New kid here, although I've been lurking on the forum for a while now. (~2yrs)

I just pulled the trigger on a new, soon to be delivered L2501 with QC loader, 3rd function and 2 remotes with top&tilt.

I've been scouring the forum for information on quick hitches and seriously thinking I'm going to go with Pat's QH.

The question I have is, do I go with CAT1-2, or CAT1-1?

So far I'm only getting LP attachment's, box blade BB1260-82 and rotary cutter RCF-2060. I'm assuming these are CAT1?

I will eventually be parking it next to my neighbor who has 10-15 attachment's I could borrow almost any time. Mostly land pride. His Kubota tractors (3+) run up to L3901ish in size.

Am I safe in assuming my LP attachments are going to be CAT1?

Are "most" attachments purchased for a tractor in this size range going to be CAT1?

My thinking is, if I go with CAT1-1, am I going to regret not getting CAT1-2 later?

Although they're not that pricey, I would like to avoid having to get bushings for most of what I run just for the sake of compatibility. I'm thinking I will be able to run my own attachments without needing them.

Is my thinking flawed?

Sight unseen to this point, I have no Idea yet what I'm going to need for top link connections?
I have Pats on my B and a QH on my Mx. I much prefer the pats, much more flexible. It might be handy to have an extra lynch pin washer or two…something to think about there if you like an extra(s) in the tool box. 😉

I agree with the others to go with Cat1 for your machine and what it can safely run implement-wise.

The did not have to replace my top link…that includes use with a triangle trailer receiver, ballast box, tiller, and chipper…it’s at the limit on the chipper to level it, but it has worked fine so far…I’d recommend try it before you order replacement. Depends on your set up most likely.

Be aware the knob that sets the spreader vibrates off quickly…a little dab of semi thread lock would be an ounce of prevention. 😉. Yes I lost one already. 😆

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new machine. Send some pics 🥃

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
a few degrees off tangent...

FWIW and FYI if you go QH and your neighbours attachments had pto sized for a non QH and maybe smaller tractor... will you need to resize your pto's so they are correct length?

something you need to consider every time a new to you attachment is used for first time.

Cheers!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
a few degrees off tangent...

FWIW and FYI if you go QH and your neighbours attachments had pto sized for a non QH and maybe smaller tractor... will you need to resize your pto's so they are correct length?

something you need to consider every time a new to you attachment is used for first time.

Cheers!
Which brings up a point. Borrowing pto operated implements from a neighbor can be a bit of a problem unless you carefully check driveshaft length. Too long can damage your tractor; too short can separate and flop around doing bad things. Typically you cut these driveshafts to fit your tractor and implement pairing.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the tractors were built to ' 3 ph standards', then you can swap implements and not worry about PTO shaft size. It's not just about the pins and links, it also sizes the arms,PTO and 'travel arcs'. That info has to be on the web, I downloaded it 2 decades ago as early Fords has 1 1/8" PTO shafts, then new std came out for 1 3/8 size.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have a QH15 from Kubota, it is CAT3 I believe, I just have bushings to knock it down to CAT2 or CAT1 as needed. Works great no issues. Bushings are pretty cheap so I just leave them on the implement.

That said your plan sounds good…just remember there is no standard for quick hitch and implement dimensions so you may still have to play around with some to get them to work, and some may not fit at all. I typically stuck with LP for this reason…but I do have a few EA (landscape rake etc) and a Woodlands Mills chipper also.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If the tractors were built to ' 3 ph standards', then you can swap implements and not worry about PTO shaft size. It's not just about the pins and links, it also sizes the arms,PTO and 'travel arcs'. That info has to be on the web, I downloaded it 2 decades ago as early Fords has 1 1/8" PTO shafts, then new std came out for 1 3/8 size.
I wasn’t referring to diameter. I was referring to length of the driveshafts.

X-Pup

Equipment
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
Thank you everyone for the overwhelming response.

I'll have to pay a visit to my dealer today. I believe the top/tilt kit they put on the bill is the standard they go with when someone asks for that feature. I did tell them I was going with a QH system - I just hadn't made the choice yet. Of course they suggested the new QH16, which wouldn't require longer travel on the hydraulics. I don't want to be stuck with a cylinder I can't use or doesn't have enough range of motion to be fully useful. Better to find out while it's still a new part that can probably be exchanged.

I talked to my sales guy yesterday who assured me the driveline on the new cutter has a good range that rarely needs to be cut - QH or no QH. I want to be really sure. I wouldn't be comfortable running towards the end of the travel. I would not be happy with vibration, especially on a new implement. There's always Pat's PTO link which would extend the driveline but it's a bit pricey. I'm also aware of the PTO extenders. I want to avoid added connections if possible.

I posed the question because many QH units come standard with CAT1 on the tractor side and CAT2 on the implement side. It made me question how often I might run into a non-standard implement with bigger pins?

It's looking like Pat's CAT1-1 will be a good fit for me. :)

What a great resource! You guys/gals are awesome!

Thanks again.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I understand but according to the standard, the length of the lower arms is defined, the position of the PTO shaft is defined, the 'geometry' of how the lower arms move relative to the top link point ,is defined. It's all been engineered and become a 'standard'. This is what allows an implement to be attached to any number of tractor brands/makes/models.

X-Pup

Equipment
Nov 13, 2022
Washington
LOL - Shoot me now. I ended up putting in a request for the QH16. The more I thought about the top and tilt and top link hookups, and the fact that my attachments and most of my neighbors are all LP quick hitch compatible, I thought, why not make it easy. No messing with top links, just hook up the PTO shaft and go.

I can always buy more stuff later if I'm not happy and it doesn't work out.

I had already decided I value ease of use more than the intended engineering design of the CAT1 geometry. If I don't get the expected stability in performance I can always go back.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
...my attachments and most of my neighbors are all LP quick hitch compatible, I thought, why not make it easy...
(y)(y)(y)

No issues with that, makes sense... I have both a QH and Pat's, but since I use my finishing mower the most and I don't ever connect the top link up to the mower, I have the most room to be able to hook up the PTO shaft using Pat's. (yes, the extra 4" help to hook up the PTO)

Quick Hitches, IMO, block valuable space around the PTO area.