New L2501 Delivere W/R14 instead R4 Tires?

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
Hello to all. I have been following a lot of theses forums for a couple months and it has been really helpful in making a decision on my first new tractor purchase. Also am a first time poster.

I am coming in from an old ‘83 Belarus AS250 to the Kubota L2501 DT. When it was delivered last night, I noticed the tires were R14 and not the R4 I ordered. The delivery guy was also the setup guy on the tractor and he told me he and the dealer owner/salesman both agreed that I would like these tires better and they are a free upgrade. I told him I wasn’t sure I wanted these and the dealer is supposed to call me today to discuss. I also found out in this conversation there is no Rim-Guard added in that was also in the deal.
Any reason I would want to keep these tires over the R4? I can’t find anything online to make a clear case for the R14. I like the idea of the R4 tires not tearing my grass up as much as the R1 tires on my old tractor. Will be using this tractor for loader work, dirt and gravel work, tilling and grapple work for the most part. I don’t do much travel on concrete or paved surfaces.

Thank you so much for any help as feedback.

Andy

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The verdict on R14 tire choice is still out. Some seem to really like them, others don't like how much the front tires seem to bulge.

What would be more concerning to me is the fact that they left the Rimguard out. Everyone will agree that having good rear ballast for loader worker is important and fluid fill tires is one of the easy ways to obtain some of the rear ballast you need.

I think and this is just my opinion, that you will most likely be happy with either the R4 or the R14. In the work you have described, the size of your tractor, I don't believe there is a significant enough a difference that it is going to matter. Now if you were looking at field work, snow removal, or working in a lot of mud, then I think your tire choices would be a more significant impact.

Just my two cents and remember, I have only had experience with the R4 and R1 tires.

Reactions: 1 users

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have an LX2610 with R14 tires. I have done about 40 tons of gravel, used it on multiple properties for 30” of snowfall, and also box blading some very muddy and messy ground. And I’ve driven over grass and haven’t torn up the turf

They have performed great in every scenario I’ve had them in. I would gladly buy them again.

I would definitely get them loaded though.

Reactions: 4 users

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
The verdict on R14 tire choice is still out. Some seem to really like them, others don't like how much the front tires seem to bulge.

What would be more concerning to me is the fact that they left the Rimguard out. Everyone will agree that having good rear ballast for loader worker is important and fluid fill tires is one of the easy ways to obtain some of the rear ballast you need.

I think and this is just my opinion, that you will most likely be happy with either the R4 or the R14. In the work you have described, the size of your tractor, I don't believe there is a significant enough a difference that it is going to matter. Now if you were looking at field work, snow removal, or working in a lot of mud, then I think your tire choices would be a more significant impact.

Just my two cents and remember, I have only had experience with the R4 and R1 tires.
Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. The tractor is definitely going back to the shop to have the fluid added to the rears. I just thought I’d do my due diligence before they swap the tires to the R4 and I am stuck waiting during the process.

I can’t say I won’t be using it in some muddy conditions at times and I do have some slopes I have to deal with. I also plan to start about a 2 acre vineyard and plan to pull a long ripper/subsoiler shank through the rows annually. We don’t tend to get enough snow to worry much about, but could occasionally use it to clean up the driveway of drifts. Would any of these situations change your stance?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reactions: 1 user

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
I have an LX2610 with R14 tires. I have done about 40 tons of gravel, used it on multiple properties for 30” of snowfall, and also box blading some very muddy and messy ground. And I’ve driven over grass and haven’t torn up the turf

They have performed great in every scenario I’ve had them in. I would gladly buy them again.

I would definitely get them loaded though.
Thank you for your input. The tractor is definitely going back to the dealer to get the tires filled. Do you notice any abrasions, gouges or slices in the tires from sticks, thorns or other sharp objects? That is one fear I have with the R14 tires having more exposure for punctures than the R4 tires. The R14’s seem like they will do well for most of what I want to do, but I am concerned about the puncture resistance and wear durability of them. It is hard to find much information with them being so new. Thanks for your feedback.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. The tractor is definitely going back to the shop to have the fluid added to the rears. I just thought I’d do my due diligence before they swap the tires to the R4 and I am stuck waiting during the process.

I can’t say I won’t be using it in some muddy conditions at times and I do have some slopes I have to deal with. I also plan to start about a 2 acre vineyard and plan to pull a long ripper/subsoiler shank through the rows annually. We don’t tend to get enough snow to worry much about, but could occasionally use it to clean up the driveway of drifts. Would any of these situations change your stance?

Thanks again for your feedback.
They wouldn’t change my opinion of the tires. They seem to have great traction in muddy and messy ground. I don’t think they would have a problem pulling a plow. I’ve pulled my 60” box blade with all of the ripper shanks lowered and the tires didn’t lose traction at all.
Even though you won’t be using it in snow, it kept traction in the snow while I was using the loader to pick up and dump tons of snow for me, they haven’t made me question my decision at all. They haven’t lost traction with all the things I’ve thrown at them so far
0CA0EC46-2627-40E1-AB6B-A0BF6A5683F5.jpeg

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
Do you see any issues with tearing up the yard any with the R14’s? I want to try to keep the minimal as well. Thanks.

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Only time I’ve seen damage is when the ground is soaking wet.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I find this case really odd. Most people have said R14s are hard to come by. Also, it seems strange that the delivery person decided what you would like without asking. I think it’s more likely that the delivery person is just stretching the truth/lying, and they didn’t have the tractor prepared for you which included the Rimguard.

It’s not a factory option, but I would certainly have gone for R14s on R1 adjustable rims if it had been an option. Otherwise, I wanted the tougher R4 tires for my use. I have chains for Winter and for more traction if needed. The tractor I demoed at the dealer had R14s on it.

I’ve only read one post that had something negative to say about R14s. I think the word he used was squishy to describe how the R14s felt. I can’t remember if they were loaded or not.

One more thing to think about while the tractor is back at the dealer is to consider adding spacers to the rear if they aren’t already on it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thank you for your input. The tractor is definitely going back to the dealer to get the tires filled. Do you notice any abrasions, gouges or slices in the tires from sticks, thorns or other sharp objects? That is one fear I have with the R14 tires having more exposure for punctures than the R4 tires. The R14’s seem like they will do well for most of what I want to do, but I am concerned about the puncture resistance and wear durability of them. It is hard to find much information with them being so new. Thanks for your feedback.
If it was me and my tractor, I would keep the R14 tires. I have been wanting to try a set, but my R4s are in good shape and I'm not going to swap them out just to see. I would think the R14 would have better traction in the mud than the R4. Obviously the R1 tires are the great for the mud, but they will really tear up the ground.

Again, either way I think you will be happy and like most things, it comes down to a personal preference. My dad would have nothing but R1 tires on his tractors, but he also doesn't care about tearing up the yard. Good Lord willing when I purchase another tractor in years to come, I will be considering the R14 tires.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I find this case really odd. Most people have said R14s are hard to come by. Also, it seems strange that the delivery person decided what you would like without asking. I think it’s more likely that the delivery person is just stretching the truth/lying, and they didn’t have the tractor prepared for you which included the Rimguard.
I ordered mine with R4s and the dealer offered me the R14s for no additional charge as well and I accepted. Not sure if they were more available at the time or if Kubota is pushing the dealers to sell the Titan/Goodyear R14s. Either way, I'm glad they did as they work great on both snow and turf. Additionally, I feel the R14's work better than R4's in muddy conditions.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If my lawn is damp/wet, the R4's on my little BX mark up the yard a little. I've used R1, R3, and R4's on my smaller mowing tractors over the years.

Never used R14's, but saw them up-close on a B2601 in a dealer's yard while back. I would consider them.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you ordered the tractor with R4 tires, it should have been delivered with R4 tires. If not, they did not meet their obligations.

Now what tires are best for you is a different matter. You need to decide that.

I was thinking of buying a new tractor and thought R14 tires would be best for me. I have R4s on my B2910. But after thinking about it for a bit, I decided I would have gone with R4s again. But decided to keep the B2910 which does all I need, and buy an old mini ex instead, as my goal was to eliminate my 3PH backhoe.

So give careful consideration to what will work best for you, and if it is the R4 tires, then ask the dealer to provide what you agreed to pay for, and what he agreed to deliver. If he resists, I would imagine small claims court would force him to fulfill the agreement.

Hopefully, things will work out without much difficulty. Tires are expensive to replace. Make sure you get what is best for you when it is all over.

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
If you ordered the tractor with R4 tires, it should have been delivered with R4 tires. If not, they did not meet their obligations.

Now what tires are best for you is a different matter. You need to decide that.

I was thinking of buying a new tractor and thought R14 tires would be best for me. I have R4s on my B2910. But after thinking about it for a bit, I decided I would have gone with R4s again. But decided to keep the B2910 which does all I need, and buy an old mini ex instead, as my goal was to eliminate my 3PH backhoe.

So give careful consideration to what will work best for you, and if it is the R4 tires, then ask the dealer to provide what you agreed to pay for, and what he agreed to deliver. If he resists, I would imagine small claims court would force him to fulfill the agreement.

Hopefully, things will work out without much difficulty. Tires are expensive to replace. Make sure you get what is best for you when it is all over.
Thanks for your input. What factors helped you decide the R4’s were actually right for you instead of the R14?

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
My tractor was the first the dealer delivered with R14 tires (may 2020). I'm very happy with them. My soil is very sandy (Florida) so there is some indentation on the ground when it's dry and I'm running heavy.

I'd suggest not overthinking it. If you were to run into problems with the R14 tires, which I would strongly doubt, a good dealer should work with you on a solution.

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
It has been off and on rain for the last couple days and I finally had a few minutes before dark to take the tractor for a run around the property and see how the tires may perform as well as the tractor. With no ballast in the tires, it is a bouncy ride with a tiller on the back and a LandPride SGC0660 grapple on the front which is just over 200#. The tires didn’t tear the yard up like the R1 tires on my other tractor. With the similar R1 pattern on the outter sides of the R14T I was expecting more tear and clodding through the mud and grass. The mark it left was really mostly the turf tire pattern. I could definitely tell the ground had a concave detention from the tire tracks, but not nearly as bad as I had expected with the rain we have been getting. I tried to lift a couple logs about 8” diameter and maybe 10’ long and the rear tires spun as I was backing up. I would guess if the RimGuard was installed, I would not have had this problem. The tires did load up with mud as well while I was driving, but didn’t lose grip any other time.
Is the bouncing common for anyone else running the R14T with filled tires? I am leaning towards keeping these tires and having the shop add the fluid, but I don't think I want these if they are gonna bounce around like they do now.
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone so far.

Last edited:

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I agree with the majority on the R14's. I had R4's on the BX2380 prior but its not really a direct comparison being 2 different tractors. I have 100 hours on the R14's in snow, dry and muddy conditions and I am convinced that they are a better all around tire. On dry grass they leave a minimal foot print.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for your input. What factors helped you decide the R4’s were actually right for you instead of the R14?
I think my thought process was it looked like the R14s were being reported as more bouncy than the R4s, and my guess was they might offer somewhat less puncture resistance than R4s, but I would expect they would be similar to R1 tires, so maybe not a big deal...

My initial interest in R14s was driven by my R4s quickly turning into slicks if I get into any mud. And on a wet slope my R4s have lost traction enough a couple times, when going up on wet grass, to where the tractor started sliding backward with no control for maybe just five seconds (or less?) but it was enough to catch my serious attention.

I finally considered how often I get into serious mud, which is infrequently, and also how I generally avoid wet slopes, so I figured the robustness of the R4 probably suited me better personally.

Outtreking

Equipment
L2501DT
Mar 28, 2021
Indiana
I think my thought process was it looked like the R14s were being reported as more bouncy than the R4s, and my guess was they might offer somewhat less puncture resistance than R4s, but I would expect they would be similar to R1 tires, so maybe not a big deal...

My initial interest in R14s was driven by my R4s quickly turning into slicks if I get into any mud. And on a wet slope my R4s have lost traction enough a couple times, when going up on wet grass, to where the tractor started sliding backward with no control for maybe just five seconds (or less?) but it was enough to catch my serious attention.

I finally considered how often I get into serious mud, which is infrequently, and also how I generally avoid wet slopes, so I figured the robustness of the R4 probably suited me better personally.
I think we have the same thoughts on this matter. All of this has been going through my mind. I like the idea of being able to use the R14 in the mud and snow if I had to, but there doesn’t seem to be much there to wear out and they definitely bounce. So much so that I changed gears and idled down while traveling because of this. Suspect it would be worse with a load on the front, but again, I don’t have fluid in the tires yet.