New Kubota Z turn

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
A few months ago I sold my John Deere X320/48" lawn tractor to my brother and picked up a brand new Kubota Z231KW/42" to do the trimming around trees and other areas I can't get to with the LandPride 72" finish mower behind my L4701.

From Kubota I have the mulch kit coming which will allow me to trim on both the left and right side, a trailer hitch to pull my 35 gallon sprayer and I have the high capacity air cleaner set up coming from Kawasaki (all through my dealer).

Can anyone suggest anything else I may want to look into for the machine?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Mulch kit is nice. No clippings and you can remove the chute and get up real close on both sides. The downside is that you have to slow down, the grass has to be DRY, and you ain't gonna cut 12" of grass down to 2" tall. Just ain't happening with a mulch kit. Oh and gotta keep the blades sharp and the bottom of the deck cleaned out.

I can't think of anything else, sounds like a good setup. Maybe a blade balancer as the long blades are a little sensitive to balancing and it is something you'll want to do when you sharpen.

Reactions: 1 user

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Mulch kit is nice. No clippings and you can remove the chute and get up real close on both sides. The downside is that you have to slow down, the grass has to be DRY, and you ain't gonna cut 12" of grass down to 2" tall. Just ain't happening with a mulch kit. Oh and gotta keep the blades sharp and the bottom of the deck cleaned out.

I can't think of anything else, sounds like a good setup. Maybe a blade balancer as the long blades are a little sensitive to balancing and it is something you'll want to do when you sharpen.
Thanks, I already have a balancer. I am concerned about the mulch kit limiting how tall the grass gets between cuttings but like I said, this mower is mostly for trimming.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I have one of these and love it. I can open it when needed and shut it so I don't toss stuff int the road or at things. Check to see if they make one for yours. Advanced Chutes

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I have one of these and love it. I can open it when needed and shut it so I don't toss stuff int the road or at things. Check to see if they make one for yours. Advanced Chutes
I currently do similar but I just use a piece of heavy cord with an S hook. I have the cord attached to the stock deflector (drilled a hole in it) and use the S hook to hold the deflector up when not near other people or property. I do of course see the difference between what I do and this.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
If it’s as nice a machine as my new Z422-54, you will love it. I think you have the bases pretty well covered as far as add-ons…I also bought a high flow air filter for my machine as well. It is an aftermarket kit by “POWER EQUIPMENT MAN” made for the Kawasaki engines.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
If it’s as nice a machine as my new Z422-54, you will love it. I think you have the bases pretty well covered as far as add-ons…I also bought a high flow air filter for my machine as well. It is an aftermarket kit by “POWER EQUIPMENT MAN” made for the Kawasaki engines.
I just ordered the OEM set up from Kawasaki through my dealer. Comes up to about the same price.

Green machine

Aug 21, 2022
Maryland
Why is the high flow filter needed? What benefit is there if you add this option?

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
It isn't about high flow (well, it probably does due to the larger filter) but about high capacity. The filter set up is two stage like tractors use and the elements are larger meaning more run time between service. These ZT mowers run high bladetip speed and have high lift blades so if it is dry or there is dead grass, the dust level is horrendous. Up until a week ago, I have been in exceptional drought here in my part of Texas.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah you'll have to cut more often with the mulch kit. You can't let it get away from you. If you do you'll have to cut it twice or thrice to get rid of the clippings. And even then it's going to bog the daylights out of the engine as it takes a little more power to mulch than to side discharge.

The advance chute is kind of a joke. It's not a mulching attachment it's only a discharge blocker so all of the clippings are then forced to the plate and they tend to fall out and leave a line of clippings behind you, espeically if it's taller or if it's even remotely moist. I tried one of those. Kind of a gimmick. It works ok with leafs but a mulch kit is so much better in almost every way; other than it's semi-permanent. I put a BUNCH of advanced chutes on bad boy and kubota mowers and I can't think of anyone who was truly thrilled with them. I took a few off too and put mulching kits on. Had one customer who was on the fence, and I invited him over to my house after hours and had him get on my mower and cut my yard with the mulching kit. They were sold on it, and had me install a kit on his the next day. Best part is, he mowed my entire yard for free. Yes I reminded them of the downsides to mulching, more fuel usage, have to cut more often, no moisture, keep the blades sharp.

One thing I'll mention. The Z231KW-42 uses the cheaper zero maintenance "non serviceable" transmissions. They are NOT designed to pull any kind of a load, so with that said, when you're pulling your sprayer, keep the RPM at maximum, and try to keep the load on the transmissions low. They'll tell you when you are working 'em too hard by whining more. The Z231KH-48 and Z251 both use the bigger ZT3400's as I recall, fully serviceable, still a residential style transmission but at least you can change the fluid and filter "easily" on those. Not so much on the little Z231KW-42.

Reactions: 2 users

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Thanks for the info on the trannys lugbolt. I am aware these are not intended to tow so had already planned to never put more that 10 or 15 gallons in the sprayer. If I have a bigger job, I'll hook the little sprayer to my tractor or maybe rig up a 3pt carrier for it.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
A hitch seems nice but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't take me long to forget the trailer is back there and zero turn myself into a snarled mess.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I made my own aftermarket air filter kit.
Copied the "POWER EQUIPMENT MAN" high flow air filter.
Sourced exact same parts on Amazon/internet.
Saved $110.
Gates hose #22991 needed was $12.50, but lucky to find at that price.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I made my own aftermarket air filter kit.
Copied the "POWER EQUIPMENT MAN" high flow air filter.
Sourced exact same parts on Amazon/internet.
Saved $110.
Gates hose #22991 needed was $12.50, but lucky to find at that price.
What about the base plate? Did you fabricate your own or was that available on the web as well? You did well for sure but there is value in buying the kit and installing it in a few minutes time…I’m sure you spent a lot more time sourcing and fabricating than I did! 😊

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What about the base plate? Did you fabricate your own or was that available on the web as well? You did well for sure but there is value in buying the kit and installing it in a few minutes time…I’m sure you spent a lot more time sourcing and fabricating than I did! 😊
Made my own base plate!
At age 82, time spent fabricating is unimportant!
Can buy something else with the $110 saved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
A little update and a "thanks but too late."

I picked up all my parts Thursday and pulled the ZT into my workshop. First up was the mulch kit. Removed the deck (BTW, anyone know the trick to getting the belt off easily?). Got my air impact out to remove the stock blades and went to work, easy install. Next up the hitch; all that was needed here was a boxend wrench and socket/ratchet; again, easy install.

Then I opened the box with the Kawasaki aircleaner kit. Umm, luckily I looked at things before opening the plastic bags containing everything in the kit. There was no mounting bracket and even worse, the hose to connect the aircleaner to the carb wasn't shaped right and further one end was 1/2" too large a diameter. I called the dealership and talked to the parts manager (another employee had ordered everything for me). The parts manager called Kawasaki and found out the kit wasn't going to work and further, Kawasaki doesn't have a kit that will. The dealership refunded my money along with the shipping I had paid.

Unfortunately before I saw fried1765 post about the hose to use, I ordered the kit from PowerEquipmentMan. I could have easily made a bracket but decided trying to find the correct hose would have been a daunting task. Oh well, life moves on, the kit should be here Tuesday.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A little update and a "thanks but too late."

I picked up all my parts Thursday and pulled the ZT into my workshop. First up was the mulch kit. Removed the deck (BTW, anyone know the trick to getting the belt off easily?). Got my air impact out to remove the stock blades and went to work, easy install. Next up the hitch; all that was needed here was a boxend wrench and socket/ratchet; again, easy install.

Then I opened the box with the Kawasaki aircleaner kit. Umm, luckily I looked at things before opening the plastic bags containing everything in the kit. There was no mounting bracket and even worse, the hose to connect the aircleaner to the carb wasn't shaped right and further one end was 1/2" too large a diameter. I called the dealership and talked to the parts manager (another employee had ordered everything for me). The parts manager called Kawasaki and found out the kit wasn't going to work and further, Kawasaki doesn't have a kit that will. The dealership refunded my money along with the shipping I had paid.

Unfortunately before I saw fried1765 post about the hose to use, I ordered the kit from PowerEquipmentMan. I could have easily made a bracket but decided trying to find the correct hose would have been a daunting task. Oh well, life moves on, the kit should be here Tuesday.
You made a wise choice!

I bought that hose on Amazon for $12.50, but Amazon has no more.
Elsewhere, that hose is as much as $100.

Production may be discontinued, as the hose is apparently for old school bus engines. Gougers are probably jumping on the band wagon.
The 2" hose is Gates 22991 if anyone else is looking, and for this application I bought a rubber bushing to go down to 1-3/4" at one end.
If I had not found the hose for $12.50 I too would have ordered the kit from PowerEquipmentMan.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
(BTW, anyone know the trick to getting the belt off easily?).
climb under the back of the machine, grab the left side (as you are facing forwards) of the belt, pull it down and walk it around the clutch pulley. Installing is same way.

another way is to walk it over the spindle pulley, if you do it that way you can use a blade for leverage. Or a socket that fits the spindle nut. Just walk the belt over the pulley as far as you can get it, then use either your socket/wrench or underneath the deck, a blade, for leverage to turn it.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Thanks lugnut. I did it like your first suggestion, that was the only way I could see to do it while taking it off but thought maybe there was a trick I might be missing.. Getting it off wasn't quite as much a struggle as getting it back on by doing the reverse. I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to pivot the idler arm to relieve the belt tension next time before doing it.