New Kubota Owner

progun1

Equipment
ZD21 Diesel 60"
Dec 2, 2021
PA
Yesterday, I was able to pick up a 2004 Kubota ZD21 Diesel 60" off FB Marketplace for a steal. The guy selling it must've gotten it in an auction lot or something, because he didn't know anything about it- other than at some point "it wouldn't work". It appears to only have 301.6 hours. While I was initially skeptical of the hour meter- all of the stickers are still on it and it generally shows no sign of wear & tear- just years of sitting outside :(

I'm trying to start a lawn care business with my sons and was looking to get a bigger mower. I see that there is a lot of hate for these mowers on here, but for the few hundred bucks I got it for- I figure it's worth a shot.

I know next to nothing about diesel motors. However, my father has had Kubota's for years and I know that they're awesome machines. Looking forward to picking some brains and learning!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
know nothing about your machine but.....
1) get a 'WSM', WorkShopManual for it..or one for a tractor that has the same kind of engine in it.
2) replace ALL fuel filters and CLEAN the fueltank ! Remove if you can to flush out any/all 'junk' in it. I'd also replace all the 'rubber' fuel lines, or at least use brake cleaner to flush an bad 'stuff' that's in them.
3) have battery tested or replace it You NEED a GREAT battery for diesels.

I'm sure others will reply soon with their tidbits of knowledge

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yesterday, I was able to pick up a 2004 Kubota ZD21 Diesel 60" off FB Marketplace for a steal. The guy selling it must've gotten it in an auction lot or something, because he didn't know anything about it- other than at some point "it wouldn't work". It appears to only have 301.6 hours. While I was initially skeptical of the hour meter- all of the stickers are still on it and it generally shows no sign of wear & tear- just years of sitting outside :(

I'm trying to start a lawn care business with my sons and was looking to get a bigger mower. I see that there is a lot of hate for these mowers on here, but for the few hundred bucks I got it for- I figure it's worth a shot.

I know next to nothing about diesel motors. However, my father has had Kubota's for years and I know that they're awesome machines. Looking forward to picking some brains and learning!
That is a $5,000 mower USED!

Once you get that diesel up and running ........ YOU WILL never want to cut with a gas mower again.
Do what Jay said - clean all the fuel related stuff first.

Where is the "hate" for these mowers? Must be not be related to the engine........????

Even if you need to spend a coupe of hundred on filters / oil / etc ............ well worth for what you paid for it.

However - never have seen it run - there could be several huge problems - you will not know until you dig into it.

progun1

Equipment
ZD21 Diesel 60"
Dec 2, 2021
PA
That is a $5,000 mower USED!

Once you get that diesel up and running ........ YOU WILL never want to cut with a gas mower again.
Do what Jay said - clean all the fuel related stuff first.

Where is the "hate" for these mowers? Must be not be related to the engine........????

Even if you need to spend a coupe of hundred on filters / oil / etc ............ well worth for what you paid for it.

However - never have seen it run - there could be several huge problems - you will not know until you dig into it.
The HST's in these mowers are apparently quite problematic.

Nonetheless, I'm ecstatic about being the owner of a big, bad diesel mower.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Congrats on the steal. (y)
Nice name you chose. (y)
Good luck and have fun on the refurb. (y)
Big, beautiful State you have there, my daughter is a Freshman at Penn State.
:geek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The HST's in these mowers are apparently quite problematic.

Nonetheless, I'm ecstatic about being the owner of a big, bad diesel mower.
I looked it up and do see what you are talking about - was there a "tank" fix of some sort that helped the situation - it seems that cutting on hillsides allowed the fluid NOT to get into the HST pump and thus pumped dry. An add on tank seemed to fix that and then there was a redesign in the next series.

progun1

Equipment
ZD21 Diesel 60"
Dec 2, 2021
PA
Congrats on the steal. (y)
Nice name you chose. (y)
Good luck and have fun on the refurb. (y)
Big, beautiful State you have there, my daughter is a Freshman at Penn State.
:geek:
Thanks for the welcome!

progun1

Equipment
ZD21 Diesel 60"
Dec 2, 2021
PA
I looked it up and do see what you are talking about - was there a "tank" fix of some sort that helped the situation - it seems that cutting on hillsides allowed the fluid NOT to get into the HST pump and thus pumped dry. An add on tank seemed to fix that and then there was a redesign in the next series.
Working on seeing if she'll run, then will definitely inquire with the local dealer about the "tank".

progun1

Equipment
ZD21 Diesel 60"
Dec 2, 2021
PA
We got her RUNNING!

My Mennonite farmer buddy across the road was a diesel mechanic for 15 years or so before he took over the family farm. So, I took my mower over there and we dug in.

First thing we did is see if we could turn it over by hand, and it cranked smoothly. Next was to check for fuel delivery. Cracked the lines, but couldn't get any fuel to the injectors. Pulled the injection pump off to find that one of the cylinders in there was seized.

We heated a can of motor oil up over a turkey fryer with the pump in there- and it all came loose!

I don't know how long the mower sat for, but it's running now and sounds good!

Attachments