New house New Tractor? BX2370 vs B2301

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
New house, New Tractor? BX2370 vs B2301

Hey all

New to the tractor world. Here's my situation:

Recently purchased a bank repo house. The landscaping around the house was never done when the house was built and the driveway needs some work. So short term use for the tractor would be:

-Shaping the yard around the house
-Digging a ditch/swale between my property and the neighbors
-Crowning the driveway and small swales on each side
-Add 6" of gravel to the driveway to raise it above the field to keep water off
-Spread topsoil around the property for lawn
-Widen the driveway next to the house for the trailer
-Build small "Mountain bike pump track"

Long term use for the tractor once all this is done would be:
-Cutting the grass
-Once I'm done traveling for work blowing snow on the driveway 300' long and 50' wide at the wouse(for now I pay someone to clean it while I'm away).
-Small garden
-Possibly use to build small camp and cut wood on wood lot (very long term plan and depends heavily on work situation to fund this)

With all that, ive been looking at Kubota and John deere tractors. Kubota dealer is down the road and seems to also have better pricing and seems to be what I have been leaning towards. Kioti, TYM, Branson, Massey are all either too far or they are RV dealers that have recently started selling tractors and I'm worried about tractor knowledge with those companies mainly selling RV's.

The tractor I WANT is the B2301 for the bigger size and ground clearance if I ever do use it in the woods. But realistically once everything around the house is done mowing and snow removal will be its life so the BX2370 seems like a smarter idea. Also seems like a smarter idea once I went to the dealer and looked at the physical size of the tractors side by side. I want to stay away from owning 2 pieces of equipment like a dedicated mower and also I still have to confirm but I think I have to stay under 25HP for the insurance to fall under the house coverage.

So with everybody's knowledge do you think the BX is capable of doing these tasks with a loader/toothbar, box scraper, and of course mower and blower once its all done?

Should I just rent equipment or pay someone for the short term work and buy a lawn tractor to mow and blow snow with? My thoughts were The money I would spend paying someone would almost pay for the tractor.

Driveway needing crown and small swales on each side as well as add 6" of gravel.

Pad next to house for trailer. Remove 6" soil and replace with gravel and build up level with driveway gravel.

Field to be turned into lawn to tie into neighbors lawn.

Steep slope (1/3 from right side) to be rounded out smooth (debated retaining wall) to allow for grass/mowing.

Pad under deck to be turned into implement storage and possibly tractor storage (prefer to keep it in the garage)

Lawn to be extended to tree line, garden placed along tree line and round out steep slope on left 1/3 of picture.

Driveway needing work.

Stake line showing ditch/swale between properties and to collect water from house/driveway.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Personally, I wouldn't try any of the following with either tractor, I'd rent a proper sized machine or hire it done.

-Shaping the yard around the house
-Digging a ditch/swale between my property and the neighbors
-Crowning the driveway and small swales on each side
-Add 6" of gravel to the driveway to raise it above the field to keep water off
-Spread topsoil around the property for lawn
-Widen the driveway next to the house for the trailer
-Build small "Mountain bike pump track"

Reactions: 1 user

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Looks like your entire short term list is easily handled by renting a skid loader for a week or hiring a professional excavation contractor. Once that is done, your entire long term list is nicely handled with a BX. If you end up playing lumberjack hobbies in the future, a BX will be marginal but still let you feel like you're accomplishing something. I use a track loader to handle my logs for a hobby-level sawmill operation that produces about 20k board feet per year. I don't think a traditional tractor with FEL would work nearly as well so even a B model wouldn't be the right answer for that job. You should cross that bridge when you get to it.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
Re: New house, New Tractor? BX2370 vs B2301

The short term list definitely doesn't have a time constraint. I'm away for work quite often so I figured I could just pick away at it while I'm home. Get a couple loads of gravel or topsoil and spread it out.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
For the difference in price you could buy the BX and contract some of the bigger short term jobs. If time is no constraint, you could even start working through the short term jobs before deciding which if any to contract.
Your biggest problem will be the grading the hills, slopes, and ditches with a box blade on a BX. It can probably be done, but the inching control on the three point makes it more difficult than a position control on a bigger tractor. If you contract the hill, slope, and ditch grading, then the driveway grading can easily be done with a grading scraper on a BX.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
The BX will get it done, the B will get it done faster. But I do concur with others sentiments.... Rent either a skid loader or a small (D3 or D4 sized) dozer to rough everything in. With all the grading work you have to do, if no material needs to be brought in it is easily just a days work for a dozer and operator that knows what they are doing.

Something to think about with the grading is if you don't chew up the existing ground cover it will make grading it a chore and frustrating. If it were me, and I have extensive regrading of my property to do, I would first hit everything that needs to be regraded with a tiller. You need to break up the root mass so it doesn't clump when you cut it off. Hitting everything with a tiller would also eliminate the need of renting something.

In this picture....

It looks like the "swale" is simply preventing ground water from running onto your neighbors property. Is that just the picture or do you have fall off of your property? If so, I would recommend simply bringing in some topsoil and grading so ground water runs off your property assuming doing so will not have a negative impact on your neighbors property or possessions.

Here....

I would skip the swales and just bring the finished elevation up. If you use a decent material, say 1" minus, you can skip the crown as well. It looks like both sides of the drive slope away from the drive so KISS. Plowing a crowned drive will make it flat in the end and then you have major cleanup in the spring. We have roughly 600' of driveway here and about a 100x100' parking/turnaround just down from the house. Existing drive was in bad shape. It turned into a 2 track when the frost started coming out. I brought in around 200 tons of crushed asphalt and literally started bridging over the existing gravel. By making sure everything had fall, I was able to eliminate needing to crown the drive.

This is just before I got everything laid out and graded. The next day it rained all day, just over 1" of rain and I had no ponding and no soft spots.

Here you can see how much moisture is working UP through the asphalt. This was the worst of it.

Working with grades, dealing with ground water/storm run off is what I do.

Last edited:

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada

Next to the hydro pole there seems to be an underground spring. Water runs right out of the driveway and crosses the driveway. The ditch I wanted to make along that stake line was to send this water away from the driveway and neighbours yard. The neighbours yard is also really soft all summer and the ditch was also to help his yard drain better. Raising the driveway is probably all I need. I figured I would add a solid 6" of gravel 1" minus like you said.

I think renting a dozer is probably what I will end up doing for the rough grading. I figured I could pick away at it with the BX but might end up just wasting time. Figured if I had the tractor then why not give it a try. Would help justify the purchase even more. Buying a BX just seems overkill for only mowing blowing and regrading the drive every spring. I've been tossing the idea around of a ride on mower. Just not sold on the 2wd part. Maybe a BX1870 would be an option.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE

... Buying a BX just seems overkill for only mowing blowing and regrading the drive every spring....
Taking a real hard look at what you really need the tractor to do and how much time you'll spend doing each task is a great way to narrow down the field. You might even find that a traditional tractor isn't the right answer at all. How many days per year do you need a snow blower? Would a snow blade be adequate or do you need to actually blow the snow? For mowing, there isn't a machine in the world that can compete with a ZTR mower. A ZTR can be outfitted with a snow blade or possibly even a snow blower, but such a configuration could never compete with a BX with a FEL for busting big drifts and other material handling. A ZTR can easily drag a spike harrow to freshen up the gravel, but it's not going to able to handle a box blade for heavy duty material moving. How much value do you place on mowing vs the other tasks? How much time do you expect to spend performing each task? Would you be better off renting a B with a box blade or hiring a contractor every few years to grade the driveway, or do you expect to box blade it every month? Only you can decide how much value to place on each function and ultimately none of us will be dealing with regrets if you buy the wrong machine so make sure you choose what works for you. A BX can mow, but not as well as a ZTR. A ZTR can clear snow, but not as well as a BX. A ZTR can't really do much grading work at all beyond dragging a spike harrow.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
All the work you want to do can be done with either the BX or the B tractor. It might take more time and work than with a bigger machine, but the tractors are capable of doing it. Many people will give you advice that you need to run out and rent all kinds of equipment and you are better off buying a ZTR mower, but I have found I can do a lot of dirt work with my B2920 and it is a great mowing machine. It may take a little longer to do what you want to accomplish, but just think of it as more tractor play I mean work time. I think either model will work for what you want. Buy one and if you can't get everything done that you have planned with the tractor, then you can rent a bigger machine for a short time.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia

I used my bx2350d to reshape the grade in preparation for my garage I built a couple of years ago. Ground was very hard, and all sloped in one direction. Had to cut the uppers idea to create a swale for water to run around. Built up the lower side to provide a spot for the camper to park. Used a tiller to work the ground, and loader to move it. Took awhile but worked well. A box blade would have been better.

Also a good truck driver can lay down a 6" bed of rock on the driveway while unloading and all you need to do is dress it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri

The short term list definitely doesn't have a time constraint. I'm away for work quite often so I figured I could just pick away at it while I'm home. Get a couple loads of gravel or topsoil and spread it out.
Understood and yes it can be done with a B or BX, but after owning and regularly using a BX2200 since 2003 and BX2660 since 2008 and doing a LOT of work, it turned into more time than even I wanted and I love driving tractors.

Go rent a B or BX for a weekend, that will give you a better idea of which way to go.

Since you have no time constraint, you may be able to get a really good rate from a local company by contacting them in advance and see if they will be doing any work close to you. My son in law saved over a thousand bucks this way as the guy didn't have to load his equipment up and burn fuel getting there.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada

I certainly need to blow the snow. We can get as much as 24" in a storm so plowing or just the loader is not really an option. I pay someone $650 a year to do the driveway. I've gone through 2 winters with 2 different guys and wasn't happy with either of them. A bucket full of gravel on the hood of my pickup is just not acceptable from a contractor I'm paying to clean the driveway.

My biggest concern if if the tractor can do the work I guess. Also tilling before working the land I don't think is an option as its full of rocks up to a good 8". So box blade and loader would be my best bet I think. I'm going to call around I think and see what I can rent a small dozer for to rough it in atleast.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I think given the amount of work you need to do a dozer makes the most sense and would be the best use of your money.

Get all your materials, if you are going to have any brought in, delivered first. That way you arent paying rental waiting for materials to arrive.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I can tell you from my experience you can do it with the 2370, I have the BH version 25D-1. I second the recommendation to rent one and get a little time in the seat before you,buy on. I rented the 25D from Home Depot for 1/2 a day and also had a JD 1025R dropped off. They both did more than I expected and the Kubota was preferred for so many reasons...glad I purchased it & just hit 102 hours at the 6 month mark.

Good luck with the decision!

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I borrowed my neighbors L series Bota, and also Rented a bx25 from home depot. Was gonna rent the B series from home depot but found out the bx25 was prefect for what i wanted so never did. Neighbors L was too big for what i wanted. Looked for and bought a BX. Also fits in my front garage and rear shed!

Go to a home depot and rent one for 4 hours (I did for a day to try it out). Will give you an idea of how the machines are.

I have a full blown bx25d setup, the works. Hard cab, blower, grapple, forks you name it. I have a mower for it (as a backup). But even with the bx setup I still use our zero turn bobcat to do the grass. If you can afford it - and have enough land to justify it - get a zero turn along with the kubota. Tractor can work the land a bit, till, carry - move - snowblow (be careful snowblower on rocks that aren't packed down). And zero turn to cut.

I have two acres of mostly flat land - the bobcat can blow through it in 30-45 mins, and do a good job too.

bigbobva

Equipment
M135GX, M7040, MX5800, B2601, Bobcat T300, and IH300
Dec 29, 2015
Shenandoah County, VA
I would go B series. My best friend has the BX and I have a B2601, they are both great. The B series is much more stable side to side on hills is what I have noticed. Also I find the more weight make a big difference in the traction. The little tires on the BX seem to get hung up easier in the mud. I can do most things with the B and the right sized implements. Although it cannot pull my Oliver 348 plow I just restored this week.... Defintely M material... :)

Attachments

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Big bob is right. Think of the money required and inconvenience of renting. Put approximately that money on top of the BX cost and go for the B. Much better for what you want and in the end you will still have it.

I've had larger tractors but got the BX for a city lot. Ya it works, but the three point crummy crude control has me cussing every time I try any fine grading. Check out both and be sure to try that darn BX three point control with a blade on the back.

With a bucket, check the range of lifting, etc.

Also check the fuel filters. I don't have experience with the B, but frequent plugging of the BX filters is darn irritating. Changing them is an all mooring job at least. Of my larger other tractors I have never had any fuel filter trouble,

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
This post is over 5 years old. I’m pretty sure the OP has been solved.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I certainly need to blow the snow. We can get as much as 24" in a storm so plowing or just the loader is not really an option. I pay someone $650 a year to do the driveway. I've gone through 2 winters with 2 different guys and wasn't happy with either of them. A bucket full of gravel on the hood of my pickup is just not acceptable from a contractor I'm paying to clean the driveway.

My biggest concern if if the tractor can do the work I guess. Also tilling before working the land I don't think is an option as its full of rocks up to a good 8". So box blade and loader would be my best bet I think. I'm going to call around I think and see what I can rent a small dozer for to rough it in atleast.
My experience: big snows = bigger tractors.

A BX is a small tractor

Dan