New guy with starter problems

Jwett86

Equipment
2012 L3800
Dec 15, 2023
Jlcekd2011
Had a tech replace a starter in my 2012 L3800 w/loader after I called about a starting issue. I thought it was a bad natural safety switch that references the shuttle shift pedal. But the tech said it was a starter. 29 days later (yesterday) I started the tractor and was letting it warm up while I got some things from the barn. Turn around and white smoke is pouring out of the starter. After letting it cool down I pulled the starter off the engine. There were no burnt wires and as far as I could tell everything was wired correctly.

Any Ideas on what could have caused this? Also wondering is anyone has a wire diagram for this model?

Thanks in advance
James

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Go to kubotabooks.com and click on the picture of a tractor. Under tractors find the file L3800 wsm.pdf. No cost. If that file is an operator's manual, ask back here.

Starter should be under warranty from tech or parts supplier.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the starter worked for 28 days then there is no reason to believe that the wiring should be wrong on the 29th day. Did you attempt to start the tractor before the starter removal? For the most part, starters usually are what I call a black or white type of device. They either work or they don't. I would consult with the person who installed the starter as to what he believes caused the smoke.
In the old days of English cars, it was said about the Lucas electrical systems that you had to be careful not to let the smoke out because the lights would go out and the car would stop running.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If the starter worked for 28 days then there is no reason to believe that the wiring should be wrong on the 29th day. Did you attempt to start the tractor before the starter removal? For the most part, starters usually are what I call a black or white type of device. They either work or they don't. I would consult with the person who installed the starter as to what he believes caused the smoke.
In the old days of English cars, it was said about the Lucas electrical systems that you had to be careful not to let the smoke out because the lights would go out and the car would stop running.
The English like warm beer, "because Lucas builds refrigerators too"

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sounds like either the field coils or armature shorted out. Either way NOT your fault and better be covered under warranty ! Any idea how many starts in 28 days ? Not that it matters but curious..I'm betting less than 100 ?
If it was 'hot', I'd say field coil. Stinking nuclear hot..armature.
Please let us know what it was !

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have never seen a field coil burn out, only the armatures went bad. If he cranked it too long, the armature could have gotten hot and threw the solder. I have seen armatures do a lot of strange things through the years.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Lucas-Father of Darkness!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If you had a Brit bike ,,, Lucas was the prince of darkness

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just got back from a month in England. It was a woderful trip and met many fine folks and enjoyed the history of the place. (and spent time at Attlebridge (NW of Norwich) where my Dad spent his youth in 466th B.G. B24s doing his part).

The ale and beer in England is EXCELLENT. The plumbing…. not so much.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Sounds like the starter stuck on and remained turning after the key was let go from the start position.
I'd take it back to the dealer.