New guy questions

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
I now have 42 hours on my '18 MX5200 hst. First question is how quickly the fuel filter/water separator should fill up. It hasn't budged at all since I took delivery. I've been using the Stanadyne multi on every fill if that has anything to do with it.

The other question is if I should hose the mud off after each use or let it cake up until the dry season. I deliver round bales to the horses every 2 or 3 days and their sacrifice lot is rivaling a swamp at this point. It's been raining non-stop here this "winter". Super muddy. Which is more detrimental, constant mud or constant washing?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
There is no reason that the water separator should fill up with properly managed quality fuel. Mine hasn’t shown any water in 3 years and 300 hours. I do keep a close eye on it though.

Opinions will be all over the place with mud and washing. I like to keep my equipment somewhat clean, but I doubt I would wash it down every few days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Unless the mud is covering something to affect the operation of the tractor such as the radiator then its probably not hurting a lot. Personally I keep mind somewhat clean. Easier to service and lots easier to notice any problems that need worked on. Probably want to be somewhat careful around the electrical boxes and do not want to wash the engine when its hot.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Washing or Rinsing mud off after use is not detrimental. I prefer Bota tucked in fairly clean after a days work.
Wet Mud rinses off much easier than dried caked on Mud. The garden hose and nozzle usually does the job.
A Leaf Blower is your friend for dust, dirt and/or grass.
Pressure Washer's removes mud fine from wheels, tires, bucket but can do more damage than good, watch your point of aim, avoid radiator, engine & electrical areas.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If my tractor is dirty and it's freezing weather....it stays that way for a while. I'm not going to bring out a garden hose in freezing weather. Soon you end up with more problems than a dirty tractor, including a frozen hose!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Mud by itself I don't worry about. Manure is a different story because it reacts with metal.