New Gatormade 18' trailer for hauling B2620

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I've been borrowing trailers when I need to haul my tractor and decided it was time to get my own. Looking around at several models & ended up settling on the Gatormade, for the money it has more to offer with 4 brakes, led lights, breakaway system & ramps it seemed the best for us. Many other models cost more and offered less 2 things I knew I wanted was 18' length for when I have the bush hog attached and hinged ramps, didn't want to wrestle with loose ramps.
Just wanted to share my new accessory

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
For the money, they are good trailers. I have had 4 so far. I found that my most recent 12' purchase is doing better than some of my earlier models, but watch the wiring. Sadly they seem to take a quick shortcut when it comes to the wiring. I had to rewire my 16' a week after I bright it home in 2007. Actually just went to the factory this week to get new tires to put on it. After 9 years the tires were starting to dry rot pretty bad.

Enjoy it.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Thanks, the grapple handy around here.

Reeko, thanks for the heads up, from what I saw comparing other brands, they do a great job with wiring. Some trailers around here are done poorly compared to this one.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Burton,

mighty fine trailer - looks perfect for the tractor.:)

Question -(not picking) just asking - have you driven your trailer/tractor on the road with it loaded tractor going forward? :)

Looking at your picture - the weight seems to be centered near or on the rear axle - I think you fill find the "ride" and the "pull" of your trailer to be a little smoother if the machine's weight has a bit more forward. I used to pull my BX using the exact same SUV as you have there - that INLINE 6 is a rather torquey pulling SUV!!!

I often found that having my bucket a mere 6" MORE forward (over hung the tool box a bit) made a huge difference in the smoothness of the pull (I have a little lighter and shorter machine on a 14' dbl axle)

I finally placed an indicator on the floor to let me know I am just right!

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 11, 2012
NC
85Hokie, good point.
I haven't tried other ways to load on this trailer. Only time I hauled the tractor was on another much heavier trailer and it seemed after 3 different ways this was the best way to not overload the tounge, after you pointing it out I probably will try driving up to see how that pulls. I only went about 5 mi with it loaded on the new trailer and it rode pretty good, I could tell I was pulling much less weight than the 10000 lb trailer I pulled once before. Probably add the brake controller to the SUV today and see how it pulls other ways.
I'm pretty much at my max towing cap. on the SUV so I need to get the balance as best I can.
I won't always have the bush hog with me so then I'll have plenty of room to load anyway that's best, nothing is going to be longer than that.
Any other points are appreciated, I don't have much experience with trailering yet.

Thanks

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
If you've been pulling a 10k trailer without electric brakes before, you are in for a real treat. Id bet your not overloading your SUV, but theres always somebody who sees a real trailer hooked to a lesser tow rig and immediately assumes the worse. I brought my B7610 home over the mountains from New Hampster to New York, my 12' trailer is rated for 7k and I would never put more than 5k on it..... Just no....

My rear axle has brakes, with them dialed in you dont know the weight is back there. My old 5.0 F150 6 speed proved to be a turd for towing. Went back to a Sierra Vortec Max and Im no longer screaming at 5k rpms to maintain 48 mph. My truck is rated to tow 10,400 and I would also never tow near that.... Just no...

You have to be carefull with tongue weight on a shorter SUV as you dont want to do wheelies while your braking hard... Just enough to squat the rear end an inch or so.