New BX25D shutting off on grades

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
I have recently picked up a new BX25D. At about 2.5 hrs it wanted to shut off if the nose of the machine was lower than the rest of the unit. I figured the fuel intake was on the back of the tank and I must of been low on fuel.

Fast forward to this weekend. I stopped by the gas stand and filled it up and towed it to my property. Once again with a full tank, once the nose dipped it started to shut off. I ended up doing 6 running hours making sure that I had the rear of the trailer down grade as opposed to the front. I am finding it is doing this as little as 3" grade to over a foot over the length of the unit.

I am going to hit up the dealer this week but this isn't what I wanted out of a new $20K unit.

Anyone else had this issue?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have recently picked up a new BX25D. At about 2.5 hrs it wanted to shut off if the nose of the machine was lower than the rest of the unit. I figured the fuel intake was on the back of the tank and I must of been low on fuel.

Fast forward to this weekend. I stopped by the gas stand and filled it up and towed it to my property. Once again with a full tank, once the nose dipped it started to shut off. I ended up doing 6 running hours making sure that I had the rear of the trailer down grade as opposed to the front. I am finding it is doing this as little as 3" grade to over a foot over the length of the unit.

I am going to hit up the dealer this week but this isn't what I wanted out of a new $20K unit.

Anyone else had this issue?
it aint fuel ....it is the wonderful seat switch .....next time you hear it quit, force your butt in the back of the seat - see what happens.

You will need to adjust the switch under the seat or bypass it !:eek::)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
You may not be keeping enough weight on the seat. The safety switch in the seat stops the engine if the pedal is depressed in either direction and you leave the seat. The switch may just need adjustment or you may be leaning forward.

PS We all try to help and sometimes we do it at the same time.

Last edited:

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
How do you adjust that switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never had to adjust the switch. If I found it was to sensitive I would put tape under the switch button or slightly bend the metal. Test it after adjusting to make sure it still works and provides safe operation.

Weasle

Equipment
L5740
Feb 21, 2016
Illinois
Thanks Grouse Feathers. I have to do some checking to find out where it is at exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Weasle,

The switch is in a plastic box to keep it waterproof. On my L3800, a little white lever comes out of the switchbox and makes contact with the seat bottom. All I had to do was lean to the right and my tractor would quit. It was very annoying.

All I did was bend the metal bracket the switchbox was on and that kept better contact with the seat. No tool required on mine... :)

I take it your BX is HST too... One more switch you may find yourself annoyed with is the HST pedal switch which is designed to kill the engine if there is no weight in the seat (no driver) and the pedal is out of the STOP range. Between these two switches, I couldn't keep my engine running in the seat or out... AND it would chatter rather than crank when I tried to start it. The dealer adjusted the pedal switch to a wider regime and it works perfectly now.

The lawyers just want to keep you safe.... (GRRRRR!)

Have fun!

Ray

LividTaco

Equipment
2015 BX25-D
Apr 3, 2016
douglasville
Seat switch is underseat, there are 2, u want the gray one not black. I've seen a piece of 1/8th inch double sided tape positioned correctly solve the problem nicely at the cost of some change.

Reeko

Equipment
Soon to be BX25
Feb 21, 2016
Berea, KY
You guys were correct. Turned out to be an extremely sensitive seat sensor. I adjusted the seat location back a few clicks and it solved it.

Thanks.