New BX23S: Stalls when backing up (reverse)...

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
My brand new BX23S (backhoe model) was delivered at 08:30 this morning. Had a great time going over the implements and trying everything out - but have one major concern by the end of the day - the tractor seems to want to stall out when backing up (reverse) and the reverse paddle (for lack of the correct term...) seems harder than it should to press down. I first noticed the problem on a pretty decent grade, but then it cropped up at the end of the end of the day, backing up almost barely any grade. Also this is my 2nd Kubota, I previously had a used B2410 (no loader) I'd bought with ~2000 hours and put 500 more mowing on it. I consider myself no Kubota expert, and the 2410 ONLY had a mower, but I'm still shocked at the difference.

The first time I noticed the issue, I had just dropped a set of quick attach pallet forks down by my shed and was driving back up to re-attach the loader bucket. Tractor was running (at first) around 2500rpm. I still had backhoe on (but no front attachment), so I decided to back up a hill (out of abundance of caution - since there was no weight left on front) being new to the tractor. I would have had no concern about taking my old 2410 up it. Well, I would have taken it carefully, but would have had no concern it could take it. It is a decently steep hill but nothing crushing, I've not had a vehicle (even towing trailers) not make it up ever. I was in low, and 4wd on the tractor. I would guess 10 to 15% grade? It is about 40-50' to the top. The tractor would climb the first 3rd (until whole unit parallel with grade,) then started bogging/stalling for a moment. I increased rpms (2800) and it did it again, increased again (3000) it did it again, and then ran it up to 3500 (higher than I wanted to go with a new tractor with 1 hour on it), on the last attempt the tractor completely stalled! I found a way up around the back side, but was very concerned. I was thinking at the time the hill was too much from the tractor, but I was quite surprised as again, I would have expected the 2410 to have to work going up it, but would have not thought the slightest it was over matched.

Later in the day, I was at around 2500 rpm and just backing into a place in my drive where I wanted to park the tractor for the night. There is a slight incline, but barely - as in just enough for the rain to run off. It started doing it again. This time the tractor was in 2WD. Back up a couple feet tractor stall for a second, take foot off reverse, and engine would come back up in rpm and recover. Back up a couple more feet and it does it again. I did run it up to 2800rpm and the issue seemed to stop but now things seem like there is a problem.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what is going on? It is absurd that the issue was happening the 2nd time, and ANY time I was backing up during the day, the reverse seem *very* slow and the peddle seemed much harder to depress then it should have. I at first wrote it off to my 2410 being WAY broken in when I got it - but after the issues with the stalling I think there is a problem.

Thanks for any help.

-Calvin

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your not keeping enough weight on the seat or the seat switch needs adjustment.
Also check to make sure the PTO is disengaged. ;)

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
Your not keeping enough weight on the seat or the seat switch needs adjustment.
Also check to make sure the PTO is disengaged. ;)
That sounds reasonable and I wondered as much, but don't understand one thing - no issues going forward over the same terrain. The bug hill I mentioned, I went down it forward and attempted to back up it - so both time I was facing same direction.

Thank for the help, I'll check the switch.

-Calvin

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I had the same problem with the seat switch. I ended up zip tying something over it to hold it down. Hasn't done it since. Now it is probably frying some safety sallies brains to read that, but I went for the simple fix. ;)

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
As has been said, if this is happeining with you in the seat the switch needs ajustment.

If you are talking about moving when your not in the seat its a safety feature.
That being said I do that a lot when using the BH. Reason beaing I try to dug the bucket in a bit before putting the legs down. So when I need to position back a bit I get out, raise the bucket and move back just pressing the peddal a bit.

This got old real quick due to the seat switch. I didnt really need to waste time turning the seat around twice. So I installed a push button switch near the the lowering speed knob. This bypasses the seat switch when pushed in. So to move I push the switch and press the peddal.

Hope that makes sense

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
in addition to the above posts, look for a reverse pedal stop bolt. it limits the amount of travel the pedal can go. maybe adjust that down so you have more pedal travel in reverse. Also grease the fitting under the pedal.

oh, and make sure your parking brake isn't slightly applied.