New BX23S Owner-Spring Cleaning Implement recommendations

chevca

Apr 4, 2021
Wisconsin, United States
I recently got my new BX23S, was a longer than I expected process due to issues with let's say "current events". I still have a few things on backorder coming for it like the thumb and a set of pallet forks. I tried to get a landpride grapple but wasn't able to.

My question is should I still get the grapple and should I get the landpride or would another brand work better? Are there any other attachments I should consider and from who? When should I try to get them considering "current events"; I would rather get them now in the off season rather than compete with everyone and their brother (as the saying goes).

Oh I should mention that I did get the 3rd function installed, I wanted to make sure it was covered by the extended warranty.

Lastly my clean up is a larger residential lot, with lots a large flower beds and patches of ground underneath trees.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have SSQA pallet forks for my 3yr old BX23S and it works GREAT as a 'grapple'. Position the forks the right distance and it'll easily carry 'brush', as you can rotate the forks waaaay back. Sure, some of the stuff may fall off, depending on material type,ground bumpyness and speed but you should try it before commiting to a real grapple.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Congrats on the new tractor!

Should you get a grapple? YES! What brand you get is debatable. Just like your favorite tractor brand, truck brand, etc. everyone has an opinion on grapple brands, but will agree that having a grapple is a great implement.

Myself I have the EA Wicked 55" grapple. One of the things you need to consider with buying the grapple is the weight of the grapple. You do not want to use up all your loader capacity just lifting the grapple and have no room to move material.

You will also find out that we are very good at spending other people's money on this forum.

20201128_092843.jpg

20210109_095755.jpg

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I have SSQA pallet forks for my 3yr old BX23S and it works GREAT as a 'grapple'. Position the forks the right distance and it'll easily carry 'brush', as you can rotate the forks waaaay back. Sure, some of the stuff may fall off, depending on material type,ground bumpyness and speed but you should try it before commiting to a real grapple.
I have forks also. No way it can possibly compare to a grapple. Carrying a few logs or twigs, yes. But only after you cut them down manually.

With my wicked grapple I either turn the lid down and back drag or push with the main frame and it pulls all the small stuff out. My pallet forks can not do that.

If you got the 3rd function, get a grapple. EA has long wait but are built like a tank.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Being that you already have the 3rd function installed I would strongly suggest the grapple. The pallet forks work but you will be more satisfied with grapple. I know some grapples are heavier than others, so it will affect FEL lifting. Also should check on other aftermarket grapples as some only have a center grapple which would be lighter. If you need to plow snow you can get a front blade to mount on your FEL. With the 3rd function you have angle capability. There is a host of other implements that will work with you QA.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If you do much of anything with trees or brush, get the grapple. I have forks and a grapple. There is a bit of overlap in their capabilities but not a lot.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Grapple is the most fun you can have on your tractor with your pants still on.
I'm happy with my LP grapple, I think you'll wait even longer for another brand.

I've got a commercial lot, I have the front BX 2816 snowblower and (whatever #) Hydro sweeper.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would go with the LandPride grapple for only one reason. LandPride is a division of Kubota, and it is designed for the capabilities of your BX23S tractor. Keep in mind that the pictures of tractors lifting logs on this thread are not BX tractors. The BX only has about 500 pounds capacity to lift, so you will be limited.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I love having a grapple. I have the HLa and it’s a heavy beast. The LP one is 100lbs lighter. However I haven’t grabbed anything with mine that I couldn’t at least curl back and get off the ground. How ever that being said If I could I would swap the HlA for the LP just for the additional lift capacity.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I’m gonna start a thread later about my sawmill adventures. out of all these logs only 1 could I not lift off my trailer, I chained it and dragged it off the deck, then grabbed and curdled. Got it high enough off the ground to be able to move it.

A8AD4EC4-CE23-414E-BF26-60E1675FD05C.jpeg

CD084686-EA98-4158-B88B-B69A31A191B8.jpeg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Of course a grapple is better doing grappling work than pallet forks, but while the OP is waiting for his new grapple(delivery could be weeks or months ??) ,USE the pallet forks NOW, SEE what can be done with them,especially if he gets snow... Getting rid of some of the brush will make the place look better.
I managed to clear 1500 feet of wild grape/small trees with my HLA palletforks this summer,slow ,steady process but fun nonetheless.
The BX23S will NOT lift a lot, maybe 500#, and that's IF the load is up against the loader frame. 3 ,24x40 patio stones, flat is the max if laid flat

Papadiver

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, MMM, 3rd Valve, Grapple
Feb 10, 2019
WV
As mentioned above weight is a big consideration with a small machine. I was looking for a grapple that I could use with my BX2380 and my Ford 1720. The first one I purchased was from Messicks. They had the specs wrong on it. When I went to the mfg web page it was much heavier than Messicks said. When my BX lifted it there was no room left for anything else. They were very good about it and took it back. I then purchased the EA wicked 55”. Absolutely no problems. Both machines handle it very well. Whatever brand you purchase make sure it is what the specs say it is.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I recently got my new BX23S, was a longer than I expected process due to issues with let's say "current events". I still have a few things on backorder coming for it like the thumb and a set of pallet forks. I tried to get a landpride grapple but wasn't able to.

My question is should I still get the grapple and should I get the landpride or would another brand work better? Are there any other attachments I should consider and from who? When should I try to get them considering "current events"; I would rather get them now in the off season rather than compete with everyone and their brother (as the saying goes).

Oh I should mention that I did get the 3rd function installed, I wanted to make sure it was covered by the extended warranty.

Lastly my clean up is a larger residential lot, with lots a large flower beds and patches of ground underneath trees.
Unless you have a lot of slash or brush clean up, I don’t see any reason to spend that kind of money on a grapple. They are extremely useful for their intended purposes, but are expensive. I wouldn’t buy one unless I had a need for those uses on a continuing basis.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh.... from EA's website, the SSQA version says....'just over 200#s.... then Ultra Light 239 pound weight.

sigh, that's close to HALF the weight a BX23S will lift /carry on the loader !!
The 'pin-on' verson(48") is 150# . Will need to look carefully at the pictures to see WHY the SSQA one is 90# heavier. There's no way I'd give up SSQA though. Perhaps someone else has a better designed grapple for the BX series ??

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Get the Everything Attachments grapple, it is well worth it, no matter how long the wait.
Order now, and pay 1/2 up front.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I think on the BX series the weight limit as mentioned is a huge consideration when adding a grapple. One other thing to mention is I bought a 3PH and receiver kit. Never even opened the box almost 3 years later. The backhoe has only been off 2x for maintenance and goes right back on each time. If anyone near NH is interested in a brand new 3PH and receiver set up PM me.....Good luck with your BX, I'm sure you will love it..
OH one last thing. As it is now home and adds a ton of convenience to just about anything you do you will find yourself using it more and more for things that you maybe don't need it for but it makes it easier. With that in mind be sure to properly warm it up and let it run long enough to properly heat up. You will see many posts on here in regard to this. The worst thing you can do is not properly allow warming and then use it for such a short period of time that it can't get hot enough to burn off condensation and water from combustion.