new BX1860

Bob Shehan

Equipment
bx 1860
Jul 17, 2010
centerville Ia.
After several John Deere Lawn Tractors and steadily watching their quality diminish, I thought there has to be something else out there. So, I think I found it. I just bought a brand new BX1860. 54 inch deck with turf tires.

I would sure like to buy a new snow blade before winter. Could anyone tell me if I would need chains and/or weights ? I always put them on my John Deere's, but none of them had 4WD. Maybe a FEL would be the way to go.
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I live in southern Iowa and some years we have lots of snow, and other years we have very little.

I think a FEL would be handy all year long, but I am afraid the 1860 would be underpowered.

THANKS !! I figured you guys would be the ones to ask.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Welcome and yes to all the above. With turf tires I would surely put chains on the tires. And that little slice of heaven of a tractor you own can handle a FEL and will be most useful in the winter time to push snow.

Orange in WI

Equipment
L3130 with loader-BX2360 with Loader,front mount snowblower,60MMM
Jun 16, 2010
Fond du Lac,WI USA
I had the same experence as you. After a two Deere garden tractors I got a BX. Would have saved myself much money and problems if I'd have done that in the first place.Your going to enjoy the BX1860 and a loader would even make things better. Chains for winter and some weight for the rear and you will be good to go.

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
Hi Bob

Buy a FEL and grille guard for your BX. It's well worth it. I bought mine used with the FEL attached, and can't imagine not having it on there apart from pulling it off so the wife can mow (less dangerous for her, the surrounding equipment and environment!). The loader will lift up to around 500 lb, and even though it's only a 4 cu. ft. bucket, that still one wheelbarrow of material I didn't have to shovel and wheelbarrow around! The only nuisance I found is that the headlights are blocked by the loader a lot of the time, so there are other ways of adding lights to the roll bar or elsewhere to see what you're doing after dark (bolt-on, magnetic, permanent, etc. - just don't even mention drilling the ROPS or you'll have flurry of posts from people who think you're crazy - trust me on this!)

For snow, I would also recommend a rear 3-pt. blade - mine came with that too. With a rear blade and the FEL I actually look forward to snow removal.

As for Green tractors, the in-laws left their X300 with the acreage when we bought it from them. It's ok for mowing the lawn, but it would be useless with a snow blade. We've got a snowblower attachment for it, but it only works for certain parts of out place. 4WD and front end loader trumps lawn tractor with snow blower in most situations here.

Have fun with your tractor - you'll love it.

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
Chains always help, and it seems like the more weight, the better.

deputydog21

Equipment
BX1860, mower deck, front snow blade
Apr 9, 2013
Lexington, Virginia
This may be a little late, but I have a BX1860 with chains and front hydraulic blade. This year I tried it without the chains and it did fine even going up hill in a four inch snow. I will keep the chains but only in the event of a larger and deeper snow.

I love my tractor and used it to pull some trees out of the woods that fell from the Derecho we had on 29 June, 2012. I am totally impressed with my purchase.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It's nice to see that there are folks that have traveled the same road as I have, and I'm sure there's more out there. JD and cubs,, they just don't measure up to my little orange tractor,, Don't let any one kid you or make fun of that little beasty, treat it right and it will amaze you:eek:

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I think a FEL would be handy all year long, but I am afraid the 1860 would be underpowered.
If the BX1860 didn't have its two bigger brothers, I think folks would never worry about it being underpowered. If the BX2660 was the smallest and there were, say, a BX2860 and a BX3060, folks would fear the BX2660 was underpowered. In my experience, the only time the BX1860 is underpowered is for certain rear PTO implements, like a chipper or auger.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If the BX1860 didn't have its two bigger brothers, I think folks would never worry about it being underpowered. If the BX2660 was the smallest and there were, say, a BX2860 and a BX3060, folks would fear the BX2660 was underpowered. In my experience, the only time the BX1860 is underpowered is for certain rear PTO implements, like a chipper or auger.
On most any tractor, there is always enough power on tap for moving the machine- your limit is traction, not power. I'm sure the 1860 will more than satisfy his needs.
I have turf tires on my B7100, and it is amazing in snow. I would conclude that with more surface area, and a lot of biting edges, that turfs do as well or better in show than ags. I would love to have ags on my tractor for summer/spring/fall use, but in snow, the turfs get it done with no problems and no chains.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
On most any tractor, there is always enough power on tap for moving the machine- your limit is traction, not power. I'm sure the 1860 will more than satisfy his needs.
I have turf tires on my B7100, and it is amazing in snow. I would conclude that with more surface area, and a lot of biting edges, that turfs do as well or better in show than ags. I would love to have ags on my tractor for summer/spring/fall use, but in snow, the turfs get it done with no problems and no chains.
For most of the work I do with my BX24 bald tires would be just fine in the summer with the four wheel drive! But the turf tires are better in snow than the ags, I have tried both!