New BX 1880 Owner

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Just FYI in my experience I have never had an issue with wheel ballast on my BX or B. Both were filled with Rim Guard. With the weight of these tractors the benefit is good and I never saw an issue with my lawn or property. I have very soft sandy soil in most areas here in WI.
I wish I had your luck, I'm leaving tire ruts with just the mmm on. I'm at the base of a large hill and two springs semi-drain into my property. The mostly clay soil takes a long time to drain, one area I mow has 1" + standing water well into May/June. Plan on running a couple hundred feet of drainage next spring now that I have the BXpanded tooth bar.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I wish I had your luck, I'm leaving tire ruts with just the mmm on. I'm at the base of a large hill and two springs semi-drain into my property. The mostly clay soil takes a long time to drain, one area I mow has 1" + standing water well into May/June. Plan on running a couple hundred feet of drainage next spring now that I have the BXpanded tooth bar.
Do you have R1 tires? I made the mistake of buying mine with them and the tires destroyed my lawn. The R1's had no traction when dry and would dig a hole in the sand, when wet, they would sink and dig a hole until there was traction. I had to use 4X4 most of the time just to mow. I replaced the tires and wheels with the BX2380 size but with all terrain tires. I do not need to use 4x4 as often and the tires do not dig a hole to have traction.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The original poster to this thread hasn't been back in a while. I guess that some of us must have insulted him by suggesting a larger tractor.

BX1880Dude
New member · From Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 19, 2022
Last seen Sep 30, 2022

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Do you have R1 tires? I made the mistake of buying mine with them and the tires destroyed my lawn. The R1's had no traction when dry and would dig a hole in the sand, when wet, they would sink and dig a hole until there was traction. I had to use 4X4 most of the time just to mow. I replaced the tires and wheels with the BX2380 size but with all terrain tires. I do not need to use 4x4 as often and the tires do not dig a hole to have traction.
I believe they are turf tires - R3's - says Grassmaster on the side of them. As I said they worked great in the winter even when the springs made an ice rink of my parking area. Gotta love 4WD. Could use a little more traction in the summer for clearing bush and digging but adding more rear ballast has helped quite a bit.

Too bad about the OP, he's missing a lot of great stuff here. I've learned tons and even copied a few mods and maintenance best practices.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
The original poster to this thread hasn't been back in a while. I guess that some of us must have insulted him by suggesting a larger tractor.

BX1880Dude
New member · From Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 19, 2022
Last seen Sep 30, 2022
Yep it only takes a few chest beating braggers yelling ME ME ME its all about me! Honestly I dont think a certain someone wanted to flame the OP but it was just an opportunity to talk about himself. I hope i dont get like that when Im 81! LOL!

Reactions: 1 user

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
BX1880DUDE, don't take it personal. As with likely all forums you will get lots of answers to your questions, some sent with good intentions, some not so much. You will soon learn that there are many good and even great posters here with a wealth of knowledge. Sorry to say but it seems like everywhere you turn these days you have to quickly learn who to pay attention to and who to simply skip by.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I hope 'DUDE' is having fun with his new machine ! he spent a lot of time getting what he needs for the tasks HE has to do.

As for the 'bigger is better' group....they ALL settled for SMALLER tractors.. hmmmmm

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
I didn't take anything personal! I have just been waiting for my new from wheel to come in, my lug nuts all came loose with 11 hours on the tractor and ruined my wheel. They did order me another wheel, changed my tire for me, and provided new lug nuts.

Other than that, the tractor has been great when it wasn't sitting in my front yard for 3 weeks...I used it to mulch the fall leaves here, and it performed as well as I expected it would. I did add the little ball thing to the steering wheel, makes it much easier to drive.

Looking at adding a light kit of some type to the ROPS because whoever designed the factory light setup wasn't thinking very hard....

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Here’s the kit I put on the BX. Same small lights as Daferris used but with a light bar, complete wiring kit with switch. I saw it on OTT somewhere.
Amazon.com: Nilight - ZH001 20Inch 126W Spot Flood Combo Led Off Road Led Light Bar 2PCS 18w 4Inch Flood LED Pods With 16AWG Wiring Harness Kit-2 Lead, 2 Years Warranty : Automotive
Easy install, hooked right to the battery so don't leave lights on too long if you turn off the tractor. I put the light bar facing forward on the ROPS and the two small lights facing backwards, one down for hook-ups and one pointing farther back for backing up.

The on/off button it comes with fits exactly where the cruise control would go. Just pop out the plastic cover and pop the on/off knob right in. No drilling – fits perfectly and looks factory.

Switch 01.jpg

Lights 01.jpg

Light Bar Off
No Lights.jpg

Light Bar On
Lights.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Snave

Equipment
BX1880, LA344s, Back Blade
Nov 24, 2021
Prospect, Nova Scotia, Canada
Fellow 1880'r here. Bought mine winter last year and holly crap its great. It has done everything I could ask and more. Although I only used this attachment a few times it has been my pride and joy, is a stump bucket. Loads of stumps/rocks removed around the property, down spouts are all trenched out beyond slope of house. The work accomplished and money saved from renting and because I didn't over purchase, she is almost paid off and will have her for years and years. Oh man if you don't like snow this will change your mind, I get up hoping for the first few flakes. Enjoy.....and congrats.

Reactions: 1 users

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
Fellow 1880'r here. Bought mine winter last year and holly crap its great. It has done everything I could ask and more. Although I only used this attachment a few times it has been my pride and joy, is a stump bucket. Loads of stumps/rocks removed around the property, down spouts are all trenched out beyond slope of house. The work accomplished and money saved from renting and because I didn't over purchase, she is almost paid off and will have her for years and years. Oh man if you don't like snow this will change your mind, I get up hoping for the first few flakes. Enjoy.....and congrats.
Well that's exactly why I the bought the 1880, I just really needed to upgrade my mower and maybe do a few chores around the property. So far, it has met all my expectations, and I very much enjoy the machine. I'll use it mainly for mowing in summer, and snow removal in the winter. I saw no need to buy a bigger tractor for what I intend to use it for.