New BX 1880 Owner

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@BX1880Dude, congratulations on your new tractor! My first Kubota was a BX25TLB which I had for five years. It was a very useful little machine for me, cutting about 5 acres in the summer, blowing snow off 400 yards of driveway all winter, digging trenches, moving dirt, leveling gravel etc. It never let me down, but eventually I realized that I needed something bigger. You might very well find your BX to be the perfect size for your needs but you'll enjoy it for sure.

The manager of the local Kubota dealership who sold me the BX in 2016 bought it from me last year to use at his cabin on the lake but he also has an L6060 for bigger jobs. The salesman who sold me both MXs has said a number of times that I need to look after "his" tractor. I guess he thinks he's next in line for the MX in a few years! :LOL:

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
@BX1880Dude, congratulations on your new tractor! My first Kubota was a BX25TLB which I had for five years. It was a very useful little machine for me, cutting about 5 acres in the summer, blowing snow off 400 yards of driveway all winter, digging trenches, moving dirt, leveling gravel etc. It never let me down, but eventually I realized that I needed something bigger. You might very well find your BX to be the perfect size for your needs but you'll enjoy it for sure.

The manager of the local Kubota dealership who sold me the BX in 2016 bought it from me last year to use at his cabin on the lake but he also has an L6060 for bigger jobs. The salesman who sold me both MXs has said a number of times that I need to look after "his" tractor. I guess he thinks he's next in line for the MX in a few years! :LOL:
This is my first "tractor", I don't plan on running it more than 2 hours a week, so I couldn't justify the larger tractor now. This is really to get my feet wet with a good machine and see what it can do, and see what I want to do. It's a house with a some land, not a farm. I will likely haul a few logs, cut the grass mainly, move some mulch and rock around. If I decide to relocate some water lines, I'll rent a ditch witch and dig in 30 minutes what a tractor would take half a day.

So far it's fun to drive, but I need to learn how to use it safely and correctly before I get anything bigger. I've driven loaders with 4 yard buckets but I can tell this much smaller unit is a little squirrely! I think the ballast bucket will be my first upgrade.

Reactions: 6 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I hauled (BIG!) fallen trees around my property for 15 years with nothing more than a TG1860(diesel) RWD lawn tractor and had no trouble at all. If it would've been possible to put a tiny loader or 3-pt hitch on it, it might've been the perfect machine for me. (I think it's also 18hp and I don't find it lacking.)
I am sure your 1880 would run circles around it.

If you decide in a couple years it's not big enough (or whatever) you'll (hopefully) lose very little on your investment and you can upgrade.

My BX2380 is absolutely perfect for my needs and everyone's needs are different. Some of them vastly different. We ought to keep that in mind ;-)

BX1880Dude..please post some pix of it doing work one of these times. We love pix !

Have fun & be careful

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is my first "tractor", I don't plan on running it more than 2 hours a week, so I couldn't justify the larger tractor now. This is really to get my feet wet with a good machine and see what it can do, and see what I want to do. It's a house with a some land, not a farm. I will likely haul a few logs, cut the grass mainly, move some mulch and rock around. If I decide to relocate some water lines, I'll rent a ditch witch and dig in 30 minutes what a tractor would take half a day.

So far it's fun to drive, but I need to learn how to use it safely and correctly before I get anything bigger. I've driven loaders with 4 yard buckets but I can tell this much smaller unit is a little squirrely! I think the ballast bucket will be my first upgrade.
Sounds like you have a good plan and have thought it through. No one here needs to justify their decision on anything unless some married couples are on this forum. :ROFLMAO:

You might want to check out Good Works Tractors and the quick hitch/weight bracket combination rather than a rear ballast box if that's what you mean by "ballast bucket". One supposed advantage of that system is that you can run an implement on the 3-point while also having the extra weight in place for added downforce.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Jeez guys, sorry I bought the wrong tractor...I must not have done any research. I sure am glad I stumbled into here so I could get flamed for buying something so undersized and stupid!

I sure wish now I had spent an extra $10K for something I may use once a year. No way I could go rent that for 1/50th of the price and accomplish the task.

I will look into the ballast box, it seems like the most practical advice given thus far, and thank you all for that.

Other than that, I'll be lurking, as my too-small tractor is apparently not welcomed here very much.
OP. Welcome and congrats on your new machine! Don't let some of these folks run you off. For some reason, they just like to piss on everybody's shoes it seems. Never mind them. Hint: there is an "Ignore User" function which I use as well. Trust me, it helps. ;)

This is a great forum (usually) filled with lots of orange tractor knowledge (again, if you filter out a few blow-hards).

Congrats, and enjoy your new machine.

Reactions: 5 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Your initial post states that you have 5.5 acres!
Many of us here believe than an 18 HP tractor is really little more than another lawn tractor, and will be undersized for a property with 4 acres of woods.
There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT.

Your "extra 10K" comparison would appear to be a wild exaggeration, unless you stole your BX1880.
I would agree with you if he said he was going to clear 4 acres of woods! Alas he never did. I guess as you were reading it wasnt long before you stopped paying attention to what the OP wrote and were just thinking this is an opportunity to post my usual " buy enough tractor" again. You said "There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT" This statement is true but also many do not read into or pay attention to what the OP said.
Maybe he needs a L48?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would agree with you if he said he was going to clear 4 acres of woods! Alas he never did. I guess as you were reading it wasnt long before you stopped paying attention to what the OP wrote and were just thinking this is an opportunity to post my usual " buy enough tractor" again. You said "There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT" This statement is true but also many do not read into or pay attention to what the OP said.
Maybe he needs a L48?
Sarcasm received!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I vote MX.
I would not even begin to consider a tier IV MX as an alternative to a L48 TLB.

MX 6000 =
less loader lift capacity
2' Less backhoe dig depth
1700 lbs. less total weight
Way less hyd. flow ( 9.5 gpm v/s 25.9 gpm)

Last edited:

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I am a fan of ballast in the rear tires. Have the dealer put Rimguard in for you. It is pretty inexpensive. If you want to be cheap you can fill them with RV antifreeze at home yourself. The smaller tractors can struggle with some tasks due to lack of weight, or at least make it more difficult. So even without the box on the back you will have some ballast and traction.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana

Congrats on the new machine. I purchased a used BX2200 shortly after I bought my property 3 years ago.

I have found, as I am sure you will too, that it can be used for all kinds of projects. Mine has saved me countless hours (and my back) many times.

From my experience using the FEL I would definitely recommend some kind of rear ballast. The rear end getting light when lifting things with the loader is a little un-nerving. For my ballast I decided to go with a box blade. It does well for most things and if I need more I can put a tray on the top of it with bags of salt/wood pellets. I chose a box blade instead of a ballast box since I have a gravel drive and many other projects it would be handy for.

Post up some pics of the new machine working. Always fun to see.

As far as the "Big enough Tractor" thing. The BX1880 will make things a whole lot easier for you. It is true that with a bigger machine you can get things done faster (usually), but over all the BX is very capable. My BX2200 fits my needs very well. There have been times that a bigger machine would have made it a little easier, but I have always been able to accomplish my needs with my BX. You will figure out soon enough it yours fits your needs or if you need more.

Last edited:

Stew

Equipment
BX1880
Jun 8, 2018
MA
Congrats on the new tractor. I also run a BX1880 and have had it for 4 years now. It is one of my best purchases ever. I use it for mowing, loader work, and plowing snow primarily. I also have a "cheap" Poly utility trailer that I pull around the yard for firewood and brush waste. It is a very capable machine and you will be happy. I have never wished I went with a bx2380 or 2680 as I don't use the PTO for anything besides mowing currently.

I have my tires loaded but still need counterweight in the rear when I'm moving buckets full of dirt or stone. Otherwise, the rear will be light and there will be a lot of load on the front axle. I bought a heavy hitch and suitcase weights as I didn't want a big attachment on the rear when I was maneuvering in some tight areas. They were kind of pricey but super easy to take on and off as needed when I am mowing.

Reactions: 2 users

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
Congrats on the new tractor. I also run a BX1880 and have had it for 4 years now. It is one of my best purchases ever. I use it for mowing, loader work, and plowing snow primarily. I also have a "cheap" Poly utility trailer that I pull around the yard for firewood and brush waste. It is a very capable machine and you will be happy. I have never wished I went with a bx2380 or 2680 as I don't use the PTO for anything besides mowing currently.

I have my tires loaded but still need counterweight in the rear when I'm moving buckets full of dirt or stone. Otherwise, the rear will be light and there will be a lot of load on the front axle. I bought a heavy hitch and suitcase weights as I didn't want a big attachment on the rear when I was maneuvering in some tight areas. They were kind of pricey but super easy to take on and off as needed when I am mowing.
I just ordered an 800lb ballast box, and went with the Pat's (Orange of course) quick attach. I'll likely not change out very much plus it seems to be a pretty highly rated system. You are right though, it definitely needs some counter weight or it feels very loose! Just waiting on my weight box to arrive to do some real work!

IMG_1365.jpg
IMG_1366.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I just ordered an 800lb ballast box, and went with the Pat's (Orange of course) quick attach. I'll likely not change out very much plus it seems to be a pretty highly rated system. You are right though, it definitely needs some counter weight or it feels very loose! Just waiting on my weight box to arrive to do some real work!

View attachment 87833 View attachment 87834 View attachment 87835 View attachment 87836
Do you have a link to the ballast box you got? I am curious about $$ of it

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
Well I can tell you that I am very happy with my BX1880. It does what I need and I don't need any more tractor. However, I got a grapple from the beginning for storm and general clean up and it is what I use the most after the mowing deck.
I've got an 1880 and am curious what grapple you have and how much you are able to move? I've always been interested in getting a grapple but never found any 1880 owners who had one.
Thanks,
Jeff

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I've got an 1880 and am curious what grapple you have and how much you are able to move? I've always been interested in getting a grapple but never found any 1880 owners who had one.
Thanks,
Jeff
Since I have pin on FEL, this is what I went with:
I got my BX1880 with a pin on bucket because of the extra weight of the SSQA and the limited lift capability of the loader. So this is what I did:

I went with a Land Pride SGC0548 grapple (now discontinued). I do not know how much I can lift but I have not felt limited as long as what I am lifting is not hung up (roots or entangled pieces). Rear ballast is a must. I pick up a tree trunk piece about 10" in diameter and 6ft. long with ease and probably much more. The lift capacity of the BX1880 is the same the BX2380 and BX2680. The difference is PTO Hp.

For the adapter:
bxattachments.com

Front Loader Quick Hitch Attachment - Kubota BX Quick Attach - Ai2
Front Loader Quick Hitch Attachment. Kubota BX Quick Attach will make your life easier! All we do is Kubota BX attachments. Get yours today.
bxattachments.com
bxattachments.com

For the forks at the time a better deal:
www.redlinesystemsinc.com

Kubota BX Tractor Pallet Forks - Pallet Fork Attachment for Kubota - Redline Systems
This pallet fork attachment for Kubota BX tractors is made in the USA by Redline Systems. Kubota pallet forks, forklift attachment.

Reactions: 1 user

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Good move on the ballast box, it is one of the cheapest and most important accessories for a smaller loader tractor. One other caution is to always be careful on slopes and uneven ground when operating with the loader and keep the bucket as low as possible when transporting material. It really changes the center of gravity and operating stability when raised.

No matter which tractor you buy, it is going to be too small for some tasks and too big for others. I have had my Deere 955 compact utility since 1995 and it is usually the perfect size for me. But several years after buying it, I picked up a Deere 325 to mow a few places where the 955 and its 72" midmount deck won't fit and also places where the deck is too wide for a smooth cut on some small steeply cupped areas. And for the few times when the 955 has been too small, I have a couple of neighboring farmers with machine sheds full of real tractors with loaders that could easily pick up a compact utility tractor :)

You will be amazed at how much easier your BX-1880 will make your life, especially with the loader. One of the primary reasons I have had a Kubota F2690 on order since June as a dedicated mowing machine is so the 955 can keep its loader on all of the time.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 user

Bee-Positive

Equipment
BX1880
Nov 16, 2022
Amsterdam, NY
Hey BX1880Dude

Have read OTT for about a year and your post prompted me to join and issue my first post – although a little late. BX1880 owners seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give MHO on the BX1880 specifically and not some other model we should’a bought.

Price was my number one issue. The BX23 was $4k more than I could spend/finance. $4k doesn’t sound like a lot until you find don’t have it. Looked at Blue, Green, Red, etc., finally went Orange and glad I did.

I wanted the smallest 4WD tractor with an FEL and MMM – lawn tractor on steroids. I have 2.5 acres, mow about half of that, the rest is grown-in which I’m slowly clearing. Mostly mowing, snow removal for 125’ gravel driveway, some landscape work.

Got the BX1880, SSQA LA344 FEL, RCK54-23BX MMM, and B8160 Ballast Box. Just under $20k late 2021. Just turned 100 hours last month. LOVE IT!!!

Pros: Maneuvers VERY well (around the deck, raised garden beds, fire pit, swing set, pool, etc.). 54” deck (not a drive over) is relatively easy to put on and take off (cement floor recommended), mowing quality is very good. The FEL is on or off in 2 minutes or less. Tractor is relatively quiet and great on fuel.

Cons: (simple mods take care of most of these) Headlights are blocked by FEL, 1st fuel filter location sucks, soot gets on FEL on start-up, lack of tool/chain storage, brake pedal is too high, B8160 ballast box does not fit Quick Hitch.

That last con really frosted my cupcake, would have gotten a different box with straight sides had I known. Pat’s QH doesn’t work on that box either. Box has worked very well so far and goes on/off easy enough, just doesn’t fit the QH.

Adds: spin knob for the steering wheel (priceless), ROPS lights (forward and backwards), BXpanded tooth bar, tool/chain box (HF), angle iron bolted to top of FEL with slots for chain, bolt-on 2” receiver hitch (HF), bucket edge skid shoes (for gravel driveway snow removal). Loaded the ballast box with 350 lbs. of old car brake rotors (cheaper than suitcase weights and cleaned up the garage, didn’t know I had so many).

Next up: relocate fuel filter, exhaust diverter tube, both simple fixes. Saving up for a cab for winter snow removal, again I’m on a limited budget.

I have turf tires and they worked surprisingly well last winter without chains. I do have chains but didn’t see the need to put them on, maybe this year. I also did not add wheel ballast, parts of my lawn are very soft in the spring, I didn’t want the extra weight while mowing.

Bottom line – is it under powered? Not for me and what I need it for.

Would I buy the BX1880 again – absolutely.

Reactions: 2 users

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
Just FYI in my experience I have never had an issue with wheel ballast on my BX or B. Both were filled with Rim Guard. With the weight of these tractors the benefit is good and I never saw an issue with my lawn or property. I have very soft sandy soil in most areas here in WI.