New BX 1880 Owner

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
Hey Ya'll,

I just picked up an 2022 BX 1880 with 54" mower and deck and loader brand new today. I've been wanting to upgrade my 25 year old Toro 253 zMaster, and my Polaris Ranger 570 Mid-Sized unit. I have about 5.5 acres, 4 of it wooded that I will be able to utile the features of this little feller out. I opted not to go with the larger 23 series, I didn't see the need for implements I'll likely never use.

Can wait to get it delivered and start doing stuff!

Reactions: 3 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Good luck, the 1880 is an excellent machine. It's at the small end for what you describe, but it'll be massively better than no tractor. You'll want something for ballast - either a ballast box (which are very cheap) or a 3pt implement that can work as ballast (maybe a rotary cutter).

Tractors are very dangerous when the rear wheels are off the ground or nearly off the ground. All your stability comes from the rear wheels, the front wheels are on a pivot. If you're lifting things in those woods and hit a bump, it'll easily roll over if it's not ballasted.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey Ya'll,

I just picked up an 2022 BX 1880 with 54" mower and deck and loader brand new today. I've been wanting to upgrade my 25 year old Toro 253 zMaster, and my Polaris Ranger 570 Mid-Sized unit. I have about 5.5 acres, 4 of it wooded that I will be able to utile the features of this little feller out. I opted not to go with the larger 23 series, I didn't see the need for implements I'll likely never use.

Can wait to get it delivered and start doing stuff!
Brings to mind the old adage......did you.... "buy enough tractor"?

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
No point telling someone that after they've already bought it. The BX is a capable machine, it may do everything he wants. And he'll most certainly be happy with it. Over time he may want more tractor, as many of us have. But that's in the future.

Reactions: 2 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
My first 4wd tractor was an 18.5 hp JD 4010. It was enough and also had the clearance needed in wooded areas that the BX does not have. The hp was completely adequate for FEL, rear cutter and wood chipping duties.

You may want to put some protection underneath the BX to protect its HST cooling fan.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
He said he doesn't need implements that he would never use why go bigger to cut an acre of grass hes upgrading from a zero turn! Please explain? You said many times yours just sits in the garage parked next to never used new box blade IIRC ? Maybe you should go smaller? It must be the large tractor syndrome! Hehehe. That reminds me of Flipster!

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No point telling someone that after they've already bought it. The BX is a capable machine, it may do everything he wants. And he'll most certainly be happy with it. Over time he may want more tractor, as many of us have. But that's in the future.
IF it had been KNOWN that the OP was going to buy a machine for the use he now describes, I most certainly would have THEN also emphasized...."buy enough tractor".
Buying different tractors, a couple of years apart, can be a significant waste of $ resources!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
IF it had been KNOWN that the OP was going to buy a machine for the use he now describes, I most certainly would have THEN also emphasized...."buy enough tractor".
Buying different tractors, a couple of years apart, can be a significant waste of $ resources!
True enough. I'm just saying that welcoming a new member who's already bought a tractor with "looks like you didn't buy enough tractor" might not be helpful. The tractor's bought, it may or may not be enough, but that's not gonna change by you pointing it out.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
He said he doesn't need implements that he would never use why go bigger to cut an acre of grass hes upgrading from a zero turn! Please explain? You said many times yours just sits in the garage parked next to never used new box blade IIRC ? Maybe you should go smaller? It must be the large tractor syndrome! Hehehe. That reminds me of Flipster!
I have an L48 TLB because I like it!
I do not feel a need to justify it....to anyone!

I also have two other (Ford) tractors, a Jeep, a 14K equipment trailer, and 2 large storage buildings with lots of other stuff that I very rarely use.
It is not a problem to me how often, or infrequently I use anything!

I live in a 292 year old house.
I have lived in this house for 81 years.
Do you think that I should I sell it and "go smaller",.... or maybe newer ? 😪

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
back to the OP...
loader ballast ( counter weight...)
You might want to consider a 'carry all and skid of stone'
The 'carryall' is a lightweight 3pt fork implement,easy to get on/off when needed. You backup to a skid of stone(blocks,steel, 'weighty stuff'), lift and go do loader operations. when done, you can easily drop off the skid, and remove carryall.
A lot of guys have custom 'skids' that hold tools like chainsaws,fuels,weedwhackers,etc.,makes it easy to transport stuff, here ,here, everywhere.
While I do have the 3pt kit for my BX23s, it's still in the box as the backhoe has never been off. Great 'ballast' and ,well, neighbours love the BH !!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
back to the OP...
loader ballast ( counter weight...)
You might want to consider a 'carry all and skid of stone'
The 'carryall' is a lightweight 3pt fork implement,easy to get on/off when needed. You backup to a skid of stone(blocks,steel, 'weighty stuff'), lift and go do loader operations. when done, you can easily drop off the skid, and remove carryall.
A lot of guys have custom 'skids' that hold tools like chainsaws,fuels,weedwhackers,etc.,makes it easy to transport stuff, here ,here, everywhere.
While I do have the 3pt kit for my BX23s, it's still in the box as the backhoe has never been off. Great 'ballast' and ,well, neighbours love the BH !!
You LOAN your BH to "neighbours"?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If he bought it yesterday, and it still hasn't been delivered, he still has time to go back to the dealer and upgrade. My first Kubota was a BX22, and I never regretted having the backhoe even though it didn't get used that much, but I had it when I needed it. The resale value on a tractor with a backhoe is much better than just a tractor with a loader. If I were advising him, I would say go to Home Depot and rent a BX23S for a day and see how you like it. That way he will know how much work it can do and if it is worth it for him to make the investment. The difference in the cost between the BX1880 and the BX23S isn't that great when you consider what you are getting for that extra money. The cost of the loader is an extra on the BX1880 and it is standard on the BX23S. We have no idea of what options he is getting with the BX1880, so it is difficult to do a price comparison. He should at least go back to the dealer and educate himself as to cost differences and differences i the machine itself.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
No ,don't loan, I do all the seat work..the neighbours do the 'grunt work', I get paid in hen fresh eggs and any steel I want.
Only actually loaned it out once, it came back full of fuel and CLEANER than I'd given it to him. He ended up buying a B2601/BH.

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
If he bought it yesterday, and it still hasn't been delivered, he still has time to go back to the dealer and upgrade. My first Kubota was a BX22, and I never regretted having the backhoe even though it didn't get used that much, but I had it when I needed it. The resale value on a tractor with a backhoe is much better than just a tractor with a loader. If I were advising him, I would say go to Home Depot and rent a BX23S for a day and see how you like it. That way he will know how much work it can do and if it is worth it for him to make the investment. The difference in the cost between the BX1880 and the BX23S isn't that great when you consider what you are getting for that extra money. The cost of the loader is an extra on the BX1880 and it is standard on the BX23S. We have no idea of what options he is getting with the BX1880, so it is difficult to do a price comparison. He should at least go back to the dealer and educate himself as to cost differences and differences i the machine itself.

BX1880Dude

Equipment
2022 BX 1880
Sep 19, 2022
Dayton, OH
Jeez guys, sorry I bought the wrong tractor...I must not have done any research. I sure am glad I stumbled into here so I could get flamed for buying something so undersized and stupid!

I sure wish now I had spent an extra $10K for something I may use once a year. No way I could go rent that for 1/50th of the price and accomplish the task.

I will look into the ballast box, it seems like the most practical advice given thus far, and thank you all for that.

Other than that, I'll be lurking, as my too-small tractor is apparently not welcomed here very much.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Welcome aboard ! The BX1880 is basically like a BX2380 with a few less creature comforts and a little less power, that's all.
Don't let the naysayers get you down.

There are those here that would put every single new guy into a $40k MX or whatever, even on an acre or two. (I don't understand it, but there you have it !)

I am sure you'll be pleased with your purchase.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Jeez guys, sorry I bought the wrong tractor...I must not have done any research. I sure am glad I stumbled into here so I could get flamed for buying something so undersized and stupid!

I sure wish now I had spent an extra $10K for something I may use once a year. No way I could go rent that for 1/50th of the price and accomplish the task.

I will look into the ballast box, it seems like the most practical advice given thus far, and thank you all for that.

Other than that, I'll be lurking, as my too-small tractor is apparently not welcomed here very much.
You did just fine. The BX1880 will serve you well, for years to come. It’s a great little tractor and you’ll be surprised at what it is capable of and what you can do with it.

Mike

Reactions: 2 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well I can tell you that I am very happy with my BX1880. It does what I need and I don't need any more tractor. However, I got a grapple from the beginning for storm and general clean up and it is what I use the most after the mowing deck.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Welcome! I am pretty new myself. You know that old saying about “opinions”? 🤣
You will love your new tractor and enjoy the tinkering that goes along with it. I do anyway! Most here are very helpful and insightful. But it is still on the internet… so…
illegitimi non carborundum!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Your initial post states that you have 5.5 acres!
Many of us here believe than an 18 HP tractor is really little more than another lawn tractor, and will be undersized for a property with 4 acres of woods.
There are many hundreds of years of experience here on OTT.

Your "extra 10K" comparison would appear to be a wild exaggeration, unless you stole your BX1880.

Last edited: