New ballast box

Steamer Pete

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 29, 2021
Holland, MI
I am soon to receive a new LX2610, and knew that a ballast box would be in the future. Many of the commercially available boxes were out of stock due to Covid, so I got to looking around at other people's ideas. I came across a 10 x 24 x 30" Hoffman electrical enclosure that had a bit of surface rust, but had never been drilled for installation. This became the foundation of my ballast box. The door was welded shut. A drawbar attached to the back side with long bolts that telescope into the box itself to later become embedded in concrete. A receiver hitch socket was welded to a plate and bolted thru the back of the box into the drawbar, then seal welded at the door. Square tubes were welded on the sides for shovel holders. A SMV sticker has yet to be applied. This weekend, concrete will be mixed an poured into a hole cut into the bottom. Once cured, the hole will be patched. Calculations show the box and concrete should yield about a 625# counter weight. Total investment, with several bags of concrete mix, will be just short of $100.

Enjoy.......

Pete

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Looks good. Will work when using the FEL work. Rears loaded?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now thats thinking ahhhhh outside the box,, :ROFLMAO: ,, looks pretty good, most time those boxes just get trashed ya done good

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Don't know if you realize that the lime in the concrete will attack the steel, and rust it out. I would fill it with scrap iron, but not concrete, unless you don't mind having to build another one in a few years. Other than that, your box looks quite food.