New B2650 steering

Jon3

Equipment
B2650
Aug 27, 2015
Illinois
I have about 20 hrs on it now and was moving about 500# of weights with the forks on the fel. I could pick it up just fine but could hardly turn the wheel to steer the thing. Anyone else with this problem? Thoughts??? Thanks.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Haven't had a problem with mine.

Were you trying to lift the load and steer at the same time? If so, priority flow may have been an issue.

Did you have anything for a counterweight on the back? If not, may just have been too much weight on the front wheels.

Other than that, I got nothing.

Jon3

Equipment
B2650
Aug 27, 2015
Illinois
Only raised it enough to clear the ground then tried to move the tractor. No weight on back. Should be rated for more than that. Wondering if there is something for the dealer to check or adjust. Also wondering if any other B2650 owners have difficulty steering with a load of dirt etc. Had a bx2200 before and I could load the bucket down till it stood on its nose and still steered as If empty.

Last edited:

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I do believe the owners manual recomends counter weight when using the loader.

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
I think it needs weight, I have noticed on mine that adding weight on the back end helps a lot, I like to use my rear blade. Also about too much demand on the hydraulics I have experienced that. I just have to remind my self that I have a 26 HP tractor, not a skid loader

Deesil

Apr 12, 2015
Mims, Florida
I have my 2650 loaded heavy enough on the FEL to float the rear with the box blade on it and the steering never changes
I know it's an old thread but for posterity make sure the 3pt isn't adjusted too high. If the hydros ever slow down put the 3pt lever in the middle and see if the condition improves. If it does then lower the upper limit adjustment on the 3pt and you should be good to go. I think steering is vey high in priority so it shouldn't happen to that but it will slow down hydros a lot if the 3 pt think it needs fluid to raise because of poor adjustment.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Whats your front tire pressure?

I have a seeper and when I am doing max lifts I have to top my tires off to the max rated pressure before lifting.

Air them up and try it again.

Ray

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I have a new b2650 also and a retired heavy equipment operator. When I have a full bucket of dirt with front tires at the correct pressure and ballast box attached I cannot sit at dead stop and turn front wheels back and forth which is not unexpected for that much weight. As soon as you start any movement in any direction eliminating the friction, it turns as easy as if there was nothing in the bucket. Hope this helps.

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I agree with the other posters. Put some counter weight on the back. A box scraper could help but not everyone has a good heavy one.

Weight out back will unload the front axle and then the steering will lighten up. Also don't forget to check your PS fluid.

Last edited:

alanspete

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Loader,Backhoe,3 PT 63" Snow Blower,48" Pallet Forks,Grapple
Mar 9, 2015
carver ma usa
I have the same problem, load something heavy in bucket or on forks and you cant steer machine unless moving. Dealer adjusted steering pressure and still no improvement. Happening with ballast box(Kubota) or backhoe attached so its not ballast. Wont even turn in the dirt standing still. Dealer working on it

Deesil

Apr 12, 2015
Mims, Florida
Definitely not normal my steering never changes no matter how much weight I have on the front. Moved 20 yards of wet dirt this weekend and had the back off the ground several times at a dead stop and the steering felt the same.

David Cockey

Nov 26, 2015
Rockport, Maine
Do you have the position control lever for the 3 Pt hitch all the way at the top position? If so try moving it down a bit. I've heard that having it at the top can take power from the hydraulic system.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Were you in 4wd at the time? That amount of weight would greatly increase the front traction and could cause some binding in the drive train. Weight on the rear and 2wd might make steering a lot easier.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Something must be wrong. I only have a BX 1860 but with it's max FEL lift of 450-500lbs loaded, on pavement, at a dead stop, at idle, with no counter weight I can spin the wheel back and forth with little to no difference in steering effort from an empty tractor at 2,500 rpm.