New Air ride Seat for the 5740

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Yesterday the Grammer air Ride seat I ordered from Montreal showed up. I decided to take the day and do the 50 hour service on the tractor even though It’s only up to 42 hours I figured it’s close enough. After I got the service work done I decided to tackle the seat. I knew there was going to be a few mods needed to make this unit fit and it was my intention to put a heated seat element in it. Well I discovered you can’t put the heated elements in these seats because the fabric is glued right on the foam so I figured it’s no big deal and started to remove the original seat. I noticed the Grammer seat requires a flat mounting surface and these Kubota Grand L’s got a sloped surface due to the shape of the base of the original seat. This meant taking drastic measures so I removed the floor plate and started cutting. With the help of my Edwards Ironworked and some Miller gear and a flick of paint I got it the way I wanted it but it required installing and removing the new seat about four times and that’s not an easy task considering the small door opening and everything else in the way. Today my back hates me for it. :mad:

I went with this model because it was the closest to the originals size seat. It is an actual tractor air ride seat and not a compact Grammer seat that’s used in a forklift or skid steer’s. The biggest worry I had was the Grammer’s drawings didn’t give me the total width of the seat with the optional arm rests on but I chanced it and ordered it anyway. Placement had to be perfect or I would have had an obstruction at one point or another and as luck would have it I got it in perfectly. I used the original OPS switch on this seat as well. When I ordered the seat I ordered the optional rear literature storage box, the head rest and left and right arm rests. I also have a For/Aft isolator coming in for it as well.

I completed the job late last night and this morning we had a pretty big snow storm so I got a chance to use it and it’s unbelievable the difference in this seat compared to the original one. Well worth the $1050. I paid for it. It sits perfectly in the machine. The arm rests are longer and wider plus higher than the ones on the original seat and when you sit in it the FEL lever is in the perfect location and I don’t hardly have to move my hand to grab onto it. I did a video of it as well but don’t have time to tweak it yet because I have to go out again snow clearing but will get it done In a few days. Here's a few photo’s of the operation.

Last edited:

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Nice looking seat and job! Did you price a new seat pan before you started cutting because you definately hit a point of no return. I would have done the same but only after pricing the seat pan.
The seat pan looks the same as my L5030 so that seat might fit mine too. Not sure it is worth $1000 to me because my factory seat doesn't seem to bottom and I weigh the same as you. From the looks of the video it is a huge improvement in comfort- enjoy!

Wildfire

Equipment
Nice looking seat and job! Did you price a new seat pan before you started cutting because you definately hit a point of no return. I would have done the same but only after pricing the seat pan.
The seat pan looks the same as my L5030 so that seat might fit mine too. Not sure it is worth $1000 to me because my factory seat doesn't seem to bottom and I weigh the same as you. From the looks of the video it is a huge improvement in comfort- enjoy!
Yep I sure did price the pan before cutting it and that stupid pan is priced at $300. but you got to do what it takes to make it work. I had a buddy drop by just as I started cutting and all he could say was "I can't stand to watch this".

Once it was finished you could never tell it was touched. After having the same issue with the seat in my 4240 I said I'm not putting up with it anymore. By the time I paid the shipping and tax the seat cost me $1500. And after using it for ten hours it's worth every penny.
Glad you liked the mod. Thanks!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I would love to have one of those on my L5030, but it's beyond my ability to install.

Wildfire

Equipment
I would love to have one of those on my L5030, but it's beyond my ability to install.
You should print off the photo's I posted here and see if your local welding/fabrication shop could do it for you. If you have a bad back this will be a real plus for it. Just a thought.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...the seat cost me $1500. And after using it for ten hours it's worth every penny...
That's a lot of money. That is really something I would have to think about a very long time before I would order. :(

der carl

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You should print off the photo's I posted here and see if your local welding/fabrication shop could do it for you. If you have a bad back this will be a real plus for it. Just a thought.

Thanks, but there really aren't any shops in my area that will do that sort of thing that I have been able to locate.

If it gets too bumpy, I just drag the M8540 out; much smoother ride overall.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks, but there really aren't any shops in my area that will do that sort of thing that I have been able to locate.

If it gets too bumpy, I just drag the M8540 out; much smoother ride overall.
That's unfortunate that there's no one around your area to do this sort of thing. It's hard to put a M8540 where L5030 is needed though :eek:

When I got my new M7040 last year I had them put the Air Seat in it. It works great . Just blow it up and down as I want it. You will like it.

David Pidgeon
Thanks David. Ya some of the Kubota's offer the air ride seat as an option. Unfortunately the Grand L series tractors aren't one of them. Nice looking machine you have there.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
That's unfortunate that there's no one around your area to do this sort of thing. It's hard to put a M8540 where L5030 is needed though :eek:

[/COLOR]
Yep, that's why we bought the L5030; had a Case CX80 when we decided to add the L5030, then later traded the Case for the M8540. When doing a LOT of work, I will switch between tractors mowing where I can with the 8540 then trimming with the 5030 and maybe then the 2660.

getbigorgetout

Equipment
L5740 & lots of other things.
Sep 8, 2012
NE Kansas
Thanks for the great pictures of your air seat installation. Just made deal on new l5740 and ordered a grammer seat as well. Thanks again.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks for the great pictures of your air seat installation. Just made deal on new l5740 and ordered a grammer seat as well. Thanks again.
Very cool. Your getting a 5740. Oh man your going to love it. Oh and welcome to the site :cool:
I will warn you though. If you get that seat installed you may never want to get out of that tractor of yours :D
Can't say I didn't warn ya ;)
Your more than welcome. Glad it helped you out.