New 4 in 1 Bucket Paint Damage

itguy

Equipment
Kubota BX23S, CB0546, GS0548, LR0560, PFL1242, RCR1242, SGC0554, WB10, QH05
Sep 4, 2020
WA State
Hi,
I purchased a Land Pride 4 in 1 bucket and a weight box for my BX. When they delivered the box was strapped into the bucket so I did not see this paint damage until a few days later.

The paint on my regular bucket that came with my tractor has no visible chipping after three years of use so it would seem these chips are only going to get larger with use and then I have rust to deal with.

Is this normal and I should just accept it, or should I ask for an exchange?

Bucket.jpg

Thanks,
Kirk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd ask them to drop off an undamaged bucket and pickup their damaged one.
heck I sent Kub Cda and email about the broken welds on my loader and 2 hrs later my account had a nice new balance in it !

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Bad picture, doesnt really show where on the bucket the issue is.

Do you really think rust on a bucket is going to be a problem? These arent going to an auto show. They are working machines. So put it to work!

That said...I would try and get some sort of a discount on it as Im a cheap skate! Either tell them to come repaint it all or give you $200 off. I would really lean towards $$ off beacuse its going to get scratched anyway...at least mine would!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi,
I purchased a Land Pride 4 in 1 bucket and a weight box for my BX. When they delivered the box was strapped into the bucket so I did not see this paint damage until a few days later.

The paint on my regular bucket that came with my tractor has no visible chipping after three years of use so it would seem these chips are only going to get larger with use and then I have rust to deal with.

View attachment 110222

Thanks,
Kirk
Good luck with your exchange request.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

itguy

Equipment
Sep 4, 2020
WA State
Bad picture, doesnt really show where on the bucket the issue is.

Do you really think rust on a bucket is going to be a problem? These arent going to an auto show. They are working machines. So put it to work!

That said...I would try and get some sort of a discount on it as Im a cheap skate! Either tell them to come repaint it all or give you $200 off. I would really lean towards $$ off beacuse its going to get scratched anyway...at least mine would!
The front of the picture is the bucket edge, the chips are on the flat part.

My three year old bucket has some scratches but no chips and I've used it for many yards of gravel and hauling large rocks. I realize in use the paint will not be perfect but this is a new bucket, would be nice to not have it damaged before I use it.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Isn't this for a tractor ? I have several tractors which have the buckets down to bare metal & they have been like that for 30-40 years , I don't see any rust on them .
animals45

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Isn't this for a tractor ? I have several tractors which have the buckets down to bare metal & they have been like that for 30-40 years , I don't see any rust on them .
animals45
Yes thats kind of what I was saying. I could care less...but hey if its new and I could get $100 off from the dealer I am sure going to try LOL.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes thats kind of what I was saying. I could care less...but hey if its new and I could get $100 off from the dealer I am sure going to try LOL.
I am frequently baffled by the comment.... "I could care less".
How much less could one care?
Might it not be better stated that "I could NOT care less"? :cry:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The front of the picture is the bucket edge, the chips are on the flat part.

My three year old bucket has some scratches but no chips and I've used it for many yards of gravel and hauling large rocks. I realize in use the paint will not be perfect but this is a new bucket, would be nice to not have it damaged before I use it.
Well depends on which you have more of. Time or money. If it’s time, you could waste some of it messing about with the dealer. If this was on the hood or fender of a new tractor, hell yes, come fix it Mr. dealer. But on the cutting edge of a bucket that will be scraped all to heck within the first hours of use?

If it really bothers you, sand it a bit to blend in the paint and get some rattle can Kubota orange paint for $10-20, mask off an appropriate area and put a couple coats of paint on it.

Is “itguy” for IT guy? It’s not a new iPad. If you pester the dealer you WILL be known as “that” guy every time you walk in the door from hence forth.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I am frequently baffled by the comment.... "I could care less".
How much less could one care?
Might it not be better stated that "I could NOT care less"? :cry:
But then it wouldn't be true. Because you cared enough to make the post. Therefore you could infact care less.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If the dealer is that SLOPPY with delivering brand new expensive attachments just think how SLOPPY he'll be doing ANY kind of service.....
I'm sure those that said 'it's only a bucket, or gee, it's just a tractor' would be mighty upset if their brand new tonneau cover for their brand new 75K pickup was scratched up.
A $10 rattle can of paint will NOT return the damaged item to brand new condition.It'll cost close to $500 for a pro paint shop to properly repair the damage ,colour match.There is a days labour for sure.

Bottom line is it's not right that it came damaged, needs to be replaced or suitably made whole.

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Maybe you could send the salesman an email with a photo explaining (briefly) that you’re disappointed your brand new bucket arrived with so much paint damage, but without making a demand/ask, and just see what he says? I personally wouldn’t return it, but I would consider mentioning it to see if I could get some free UDT2 or filters or something.

Reactions: 1 user

itguy

Equipment
Sep 4, 2020
WA State
Maybe you could send the salesman an email with a photo explaining (briefly) that you’re disappointed your brand new bucket arrived with so much paint damage, but without making a demand/ask, and just see what he says? I personally wouldn’t return it, but I would consider mentioning it to see if I could get some free UDT2 or filters or something.
Thanks, I did that this morning and so far no response...

itguy

Equipment
Sep 4, 2020
WA State
Well depends on which you have more of. Time or money. If it’s time, you could waste some of it messing about with the dealer. If this was on the hood or fender of a new tractor, hell yes, come fix it Mr. dealer. But on the cutting edge of a bucket that will be scraped all to heck within the first hours of use?

If it really bothers you, sand it a bit to blend in the paint and get some rattle can Kubota orange paint for $10-20, mask off an appropriate area and put a couple coats of paint on it.

Is “itguy” for IT guy? It’s not a new iPad. If you pester the dealer you WILL be known as “that” guy every time you walk in the door from hence forth.
Yes, IT but at the enterprise level not with children's toys...

The bucket I have now which I used to gravel a new driveway section, move more large rooks than I want to think about, and all the other tasks you do with a bucket has no chips at all with almost three years of use. It has some scratches but overall looks good.

I think anyone who had to pick from two of the same item, one all chipped up and one with intact paint would select the latter.

Maybe I'm expecting too much for my $2,500 but dealers should be more aware of how they treat items that customers have purchased and not fall on the "It's a tractor" excuse.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Yes, IT but at the enterprise level not with children's toys...

The bucket I have now which I used to gravel a new driveway section, move more large rooks than I want to think about, and all the other tasks you do with a bucket has no chips at all with almost three years of use. It has some scratches but overall looks good.

I think anyone who had to pick from two of the same item, one all chipped up and one with intact paint would select the latter.

Maybe I'm expecting too much for my $2,500 but dealers should be more aware of how they treat items that customers have purchased and not fall on the "It's a tractor" excuse.
Oh sure, I agree as to what “should be”. I’d pick an un-scratched one, same as the next guy. But you get to deal with “what is”. Obviously up to you as to the effort it’s worth to rectify.

My experience suggests it may be an exercise in futility to expect the dealer to care, at all. But, if you don’t ask, you won’t know.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If you pester the dealer you WILL be known as “that” guy every time you walk in the door from hence forth.

To the OP, I say this as a new guy to tractors, and I keep mine in a garage and I polish it, so I know where you're coming from....

If you do request a new one, or money off, because of a "scratched bucket"........Please, please, please ......I ask you from the bottom of my heart....... I ask that you film it. 🍻

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,

View attachment 110222

Thanks,
Kirk
Ask for some Kubota orange paint.

Dan

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If the dealer is that SLOPPY with delivering brand new expensive attachments just think how SLOPPY he'll be doing ANY kind of service.....
I'm sure those that said 'it's only a bucket, or gee, it's just a tractor' would be mighty upset if their brand new tonneau cover for their brand new 75K pickup was scratched up.
A $10 rattle can of paint will NOT return the damaged item to brand new condition.It'll cost close to $500 for a pro paint shop to properly repair the damage ,colour match.There is a days labour for sure.

Bottom line is it's not right that it came damaged, needs to be replaced or suitably made whole.
If it was a new car I'd be upset. New tractor boom or hood scratched I'd be upset. Bucket scratch? It will get multiple scratches the first day of use.

I'd tell the salesman about my concern and I'd be happy with a $20 can of Kubota spray paint and a K hat.

If I was buying the tractor to park beside my garage queen harley davidson that I currently spend several hours polishing every week I think I would demand a new perfect condition bucket.

itguy

Equipment
Sep 4, 2020
WA State
Update:
I called the sales person I worked with and they were willing to exchange for another bucket but that was their last one so he offered to have the damage repaired.

I dropped off and they have a person in service who does refinishing work.

I picked up the next day and while not the same as the factory finish it looks really good.

Maybe it seems trivial given it will get scratched with use, but as an example I would not buy a new car with worn tires and accept that just because they will get worn anyway.

If I wanted something that looked used then I would have bought used and saved the money you would expect for used, when I buy new I expect it to look new and I'm paying for the privilege to make it look used myself.

Anyway, we all have our own way of seeing our world so no one is right or wrong, it's just individual perspective and I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

I did consider letting it go and also demanding a new bucket, in the end I decided to call as a follow-up to my email about the issue and let them make the call on the solution without any demand or expectation.

I'm pleased with the outcome and enjoyed my first day seeing what I can do with this new attachment, so far looks promising and was able to do some things I would have needed to get my Grapple for or get off the tractor and manually load the bucket.

Thanks again to all that responded...

Attachments