Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Bought a new car battery from my tractor,interstate
Wonder
I should charge it or not
Out of all the years that Ive bought new batteries, Ive never charged them prior to installation, but maybe I should start checking them out first.
You could check the voltage across the terminals if you have a voltmeter, or carry the battery to a local auto parts supplier and they could check it for you, just to be sure.
Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Bought a new car battery from my tractor,interstate
Wonder
I should charge it or not
I typically charge a new battery for a bit - typically it has been sitting a good bit in the store, most of the time you may not need to do so - what is the standing voltage ? 12.7? If that high - you should be good to go!

Reactions: 1 user

danmorea

Equipment
kubota b7100 loader/backhoe Kubota B2650 loader John Deere x540
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
Been planning to change the battery in the spring
Winter is hard on battery here upstate New York
Just it would not hold a charge for a day
5-7 years old battery
It is for my John Deere x540 garden tractor that I use for mowing,spraying and now soon to collect the fall leaves
It is parked in the shed over the winter

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Been planning to change the battery in the spring
Winter is hard on battery here upstate New York
Just it would not hold a charge for a day
5-7 years old battery
It is for my John Deere x540 garden tractor that I use for mowing,spraying and now soon to collect the fall leaves
It is parked in the shed over the winter
Well - I will tell you this, a "lawn" mower battery doesn't seem to hold up long at all! If one gets two years out of one I am amazed. Seems like those size batteries cannot last very long for whatever reason. That is why they are typically on sale for only 30 bucks too! I would say you have got your money's worth on that one!

With your new battery - take it off the tractor for winter, place it on a maintainer ..... NOT a trickle charger......
I have had great success with this particular brand. I have three of them and they all work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1...arger+automotive+genius&qid=1600779707&sr=8-5

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you consult a battery manufacturer like East Penn or Deka, they will tell you to trickle charge a NEW battery prior to installing it. SOP with me. In fact I have a new AC Delco sitting on the bench for the Suburban with a Battery Tender on it, charging it eight now. When flooded cell batteries sit on the shelf prior to purchase, they slowly discharge. Trickle charge it prior to install. When you install it, makes sure the terminals are clean and use di electric grease on the terminals too.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I bought a new battery last month and it came with an instruction sheet that recommended an 8 hour charge at two amps so I did. After I retired, I worked at an auto parts store for a couple of years. Looking at the batteries, especially the commercial type for farm equipment, some of them were over 6 months old. In the past, I never charged a new battery but I will from now on.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Lawn tractor batteries were only lasting one or two years. I got a 2 amp solar charger and use it on the battery during the winter, so far 4 years and counting. I got the charger on sale for about what a good battery cost. Sometimes during the summer I will put the ATV tender on the lawn tractor just for the heck of it since they are parked near each other. I have all my batteries on tenders or solar chargers; ATVs, tractors, F250, trolling battery, etc. Bought a Ctek charger that I have on my F150 or MKC in garage depending on which vehicle is being used. I figure tenders pay for themselves if they extend battery life because I buy the best battery I can find when replacing and they are not cheap.

danmorea

Equipment
kubota b7100 loader/backhoe Kubota B2650 loader John Deere x540
Oct 25, 2013
narrowsburg ny
Well - I will tell you this, a "lawn" mower battery doesn't seem to hold up long at all! If one gets two years out of one I am amazed. Seems like those size batteries cannot last very long for whatever reason. That is why they are typically on sale for only 30 bucks too! I would say you have got your money's worth on that one!

With your new battery - take it off the tractor for winter, place it on a maintainer ..... NOT a trickle charger......
I have had great success with this particular brand. I have three of them and they all work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1...arger+automotive+genius&qid=1600779707&sr=8-5
This garden tractor x540 uses a 51 group battery,like a car battery $150

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
When in long term storage in cold climate, remove it and keep it warm. The same goes for storage in warmer weather equipment, i.e Snowmobiles, blowers ECT but keep them cooler.
Batteries Lives Matter!