Net Zero

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
He is a dolt. I got one paragraph in and stopped reading. His bold faced lie about ag emissions....🙄

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Edited to stay safely on the non political side.
To the point, no, there is not a viable electric alternative to do what I do without harming the planet more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Keep it civil and NON political! ;)

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I agree that some changes need to be made but this is way too aggressive and radical.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Does anyone have plans to meet net zero agriculture emissions by 2030?
I didn't see any mention of re-introducing indentured servitude and slavery to replace machine power with people power. I guess that explains why Trudeau is bringing in one million new immigrants every year.

This is a great option "Netherlands launched a plan to reduce emmissions from agriculture by buying and closing farms". I guess importing food from other countries is less carbon intensive than growing it yourself. Sorta like sending all your manufacturing capabilities to china and relying on the global supply chain to ship items around the world because it's better than doing things locally.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ag 'Net zero' is easy, just STOP farming !
After all everyone knows milk and meat come from the grocery stores........ ;)

idiots..

NO American or Canadian farmer should change their ways until AFTER China and India do their 'fair share'. Combined they have over 2 BILLION mouths to feed, Cows in India aren't even eaten, Coal fired power plants in China spring up 1 a week. Seems to me THAT would be the places to start to reduce GHGs

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
For us and our little operation, the investment cost to even attempt to go to 'net zero' would not be a recoverable return.

I believe that the only way for farm to be able to go 'net zero' if if they take the farmer out of the equation. Your farm would have to become fully automated so the system could work within the constraints of the battery life on the machines. I watched a video on TTWT with him mowing using an electric tractor. The battery life of that tractor would not meet our simple needs for mowing on our farm and that doesn't get into the whole challenge of charging the equipment which would require an investment for us since our barn for the tractors has no electricity.

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I can't help but think of CFL bulbs when I think of electic cars, trucks and tractors. Solve one "problem" and create two other problems

Reactions: 4 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I can't help but think of CFL bulbs when I think of electic cars, trucks and tractors. Solve one "problem" and create two other problems
Yep, how much mercury is in the environment now because the cfls were junk and most people threw them in the trash. Does mercury make people go nuts? Maybe thats whats cause an elevation in crazy.

• Haha

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yep, how much mercury is in the environment now because the cfls were junk and most people threw them in the trash. Does mercury make people go nuts? Maybe thats whats cause an elevation in crazy.
1685361988271.png

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I think that we need more coal fired power plants, power lines, pump storage, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, waste recovery and wind turbines. I have all of the above in my area, with a few more we can run an electric tractor on the one acre remaining.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I think that we need more coal fired power plants, power lines, pump storage, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, waste recovery and wind turbines. I have all of the above in my area, with a few more we can run an electric tractor on the one acre remaining.
I think we should bull doze so cal and nyc and put all the nuke power plants there. If everything is going EV, we need cheap power and those insisting on the conversion should give up everything for it

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
We (son an I) are looking at building wood gasifiers. We have unlimited firewood from downed trees here. Should be carbon neutral right? There are no rules against burning firewood, yet.
I suppose using mules for farming would not count as carbon neutral.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
We (son an I) are looking at building wood gasifiers. We have unlimited firewood from downed trees here. Should be carbon neutral right? There are no rules against burning firewood, yet.
I have a wood/coal furnace to heat my house, the new model of the exact same furnace can't be sold as a model that is approved for wood burning. The rules are here now.

The hay field on my east side is used to feed the mules that farm the fields to my north, don't know how that equates to carbon neutral since so much land is out of real production.

Be sure to google to see the homes of John Kerry so you can see how we all should live.

Reactions: 1 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Don't know where you live...but many places there ARE rules against burning firewood!

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
The loggers in the Amazon also claimed unlimited wood and we can see how that is turning out.
Many towns now regulate wood furnaces as the low burn with heavy soot was a real bother to the neighbors.
When my BIL is heating and it is a high pressure day my MIL house ( 1 property over) stinks like an old wood stove. Old man's COPD was a big concern with the low hanging cloud of smoke.
No easy solutions.